PDA

View Full Version : System hanging at startup

PCT Joe
20-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Ok, so my old machine that I sold to a mate is frequently hanging on its startup, around the windows 7 logo bit. I figure that this cant be attributed to cold boot problems with the amd mobo as it does this even after some shutdowns. I'm figuring that I'll have to transfer the data and maybe do a fresh reinstall, however. if anyone has experiences with problems similar to this please let me know.

AMD Athlon X2 5000+
Asus m2n-mx se Plus
4GB DDR2-800 G.skill Ram
WD 320GB HDD, 7200rpm, unnamed; however assumed as a blue series.
Asus 2014L-ST? Optical drive
Acbel 380 PSU(330 effective)
Asus vento chassis.

Oh, and as a side note, the Optical drives playing up too. I've tryed new firm-ware etc but it still doesnt recognize disks on occasion and then requires a reboot to get the disk out/going.

Thanks,
Joe

Snorkbox
20-08-2010, 04:08 PM
My personal opinion would be to think about the PSU first.

PCT Joe
20-08-2010, 04:15 PM
I did consider that, but its been happening more recently, and seeing as its actually getting into the OS startup I figured its more of a software issue. Its not as if they have a discrete graphics card in it.

Snorkbox
20-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Bad caps on the motherboard maybe?

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2010, 04:29 PM
What BIOS is on it? What cd/dvd emulation programs are on it?? ie: Roxio programs, diskdaemon

PCT Joe
20-08-2010, 04:31 PM
It has Daemon tools but it doesnt load at startup, other than that. ImgBurn DVD Decrypter, DVD Fab 5 and CD Burner XP.

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Run regedit and look for upperfilters / lowerfilters (they maybe in the same place). See if there's anything on the right hand side (of either). If there is delete it, then reboot

PCT Joe
20-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Ok heres what I got

Upper:
GEARAspiWDM

Lower:
fvevol
rdyboost

I rebooted and everything seems fine, however it will take a few days to confirm. however theres now two cd drives and no dvd drives in my computer, whats the next process?

Also, if you wouldnt mind, can you explain what the upper and lower filters do and why I deleted them?

Speedy Gonzales
20-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I dont know what they are exactly, but if it shows a driver there, it can stop a cd or dvd from working, as well as USB ports. Probably because (if there's a driver there), whatever uses those entries, tries to use the driver thats listed, doesn't know what to do with it, and it will fail

PCT Joe
20-08-2010, 04:57 PM
ok, well. thanks for that. now what do I do with the two 'cd' drives???

EDIT: Never mind, there coming up properly now.

Agent_24
20-08-2010, 05:12 PM
I did consider that, but its been happening more recently, and seeing as its actually getting into the OS startup I figured its more of a software issue. Its not as if they have a discrete graphics card in it.

Problems caused by hardware often increase in occurrence as the hardware condition becomes worse and worse.

Just because Windows boots sometimes doesn't mean it isn't the PSU. AcBel aren't that awesome.

I would definitely check the PSU or Motherboard capacitors first.

PCT Joe
21-08-2010, 06:23 PM
I would'nt be suprised if it is the mobo, but i dont know what to look for on the capacitors, yeah, theres always a chance its the psu, and as for the startup, its happening again

Agent_24
21-08-2010, 06:50 PM
www.badcaps.net if you want to know what to look for.

Swap the PSU for another (known good) and see what happens...

PCT Joe
21-08-2010, 07:24 PM
The owner wants a full OS reinstall, so I'll do that tomorrow or so, I'll then see how the startup/dvd issue go, if the dvd issue's continue ill swap out the DVD drive with another of the same model. if that works thats another problem sorted and at the same time I can check the capacitors

Agent_24
21-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Checking the capacitors first is going to be more sensible, if they are stuffed there will be no point in reinstalling...

PCT Joe
22-08-2010, 03:41 PM
I checked the capacitors, They seem find. I had problems with a missing CD/DVD driver when reinstalling so I've replaced the DVD drive and will restart installing the new OS once I finish up here.