PDA

View Full Version : ACDSee

Thomas01
20-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I use the old v3 of ACDSee so rarely have any problems.
But I have this week - I have a photo which is called Egypt 01 and another Egypt 02 on the computer.
But when I ask ACDSee to find these files using filenames I get a blank every time. Other programs ie Windows Commander have no problem finding them. Funny enough I found I had duplicate copies (same name) I had put in some time ago in error in a completely different location and the same situation applies.
Changing the name makes no difference and the computer has no problem finding "Ely" or "Edinburgh" which are either side of the photos in question.
Not exactly a major problem but I am curious as to why it has happened and any suggestions.
Tom

kahawai chaser
20-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I had the trial of ACD a few years back...

It could be a bug in it's code - i.e. unable to find two files with similar names. Try it with two other similar named files, or look for any update - if it exists.

Thomas01
20-08-2010, 02:14 PM
I had the trial of ACD a few years back...

It could be a bug in it's code - i.e. unable to find two files with similar names. Try it with two other similar named files, or look for any update - if it exists.

I have tried with other similar names - happens a lot with me - but never any problem for years and years and years.
I have later versions of the program but frankly they are rubbish compared to the old version 3

Rod J
21-08-2010, 12:27 AM
It sounds as though you have "Show filename extensions" turned off in Explorer and so in ACDSee you don't see the extensions either. I wonder if those two files don't have any extensions? Maybe if you give them extensions (.jpg I guess) ACDSee would suddenly "see" them?

I'm just guessing though ... just that you didn't give any extensions on the filenames.

Thomas01
21-08-2010, 12:08 PM
It sounds as though you have "Show filename extensions" turned off in Explorer and so in ACDSee you don't see the extensions either. I wonder if those two files don't have any extensions? Maybe if you give them extensions (.jpg I guess) ACDSee would suddenly "see" them?

I'm just guessing though ... just that you didn't give any extensions on the filenames.

Bingo!
Yes of course - how I had missed not realizing that the files had no extensions I just don't know.
And I learned to use computers in the good old days of DOS.
Must be slipping!
Thanks.
Tom

Rod J
21-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Yes, the good old days of DOS ... me too! I too get caught out with obvious things myself ... some might call them "senior moments" LOL :D

Glad to have helped you :thumbs:

mzee
25-08-2010, 09:38 PM
I have also used ACDSee V3 for years, tried later versions but they are too gimmicky. V3 runs fine on W7.

Re file extensions, doesn't much matter what the extension is so long as there is one. ie if you give the file a TXT extension ACDSee will still display it. I often do this to prevent people double clicking on them. If you do it defaults to Notepad and shows code.