PDA

View Full Version : new motherboard installed but vista repair not working

Ron Bakker
19-08-2010, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone
I have replaced my motherboard (with a different model asus)as the old one pooped itself. Pc will turn on but will only just start to load vista then crash and restart. I have tried starting from dvd with my install vista disk but the repair option does not seem to work or at least it does not fix the problem.
am I doing the right thing here?
Cheers for reading.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2010, 03:13 PM
Reinstall vista since its a different mobo

Snorkbox
19-08-2010, 03:15 PM
The new motherboard likely has a different chipset than your old one. Hence the problems.

Ron Bakker
19-08-2010, 03:16 PM
yeah I tried that and when it asked for my activation key, I typed in my current key but that didn't work.

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2010, 03:18 PM
Was the other mobo OEM, or a system you brought? And what version of Vista are you trying to install?? A cd from the old system, or a retail version?

Ron Bakker
19-08-2010, 03:27 PM
It was a system I put together 2 years ago, installed vista (a copy I bought) and then the mobo died two weeks ago which I replaced last week myself.

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I wouldnt do a re-install, just do a repair install, is the motherboard chipsets different?

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2010, 03:32 PM
Hmm. Dont know then. Unless you've type in a o for a 0 or something

pctek
19-08-2010, 04:39 PM
replaced my motherboard
I have tried vista repair

I never had Vista repair work. Ever.

What about safe mode? Try booting into that then uninstalling all drivers then installing new ones and rebooting. Worth a try first.

ryanjames.powell
19-08-2010, 08:56 PM
I know from experience that Windows 7 repair will work if you have changed the motherboard, but never tried it with Vista. They are pretty similar OSs so I would have thought it should work but maybe not. The only hardware change that will stop Windows from starting is the hard drive controller. Check if these are the same between the two motherboards, and if they are, maybe you need to check the AHCI/IDE Compatible mode setting in the BIOS is set the same as before. Otherwise, a reinstall is probably all you can do.

Ron Bakker
20-08-2010, 08:17 AM
In the end I did a clean install which means reinstalling all my other programs and setting up email n stuff again. All my documents ended up in a windows old folder which was a relief as I was concerned I would loose it all. This would not of been my first choice but the repair thing just didn't help at all. I guess the registry does not get cleaned up when one goes through the repair process as the new motherboard had a different chipset.

Thanks for your input guys.