PDA

View Full Version : lack of free memory

06-09-2001, 11:29 AM
I have a HP. pavilion 4422,with 5.98 gb. I'm using 2.66gb. which leaves 3.32gb. I appear to be suffering from lack of RAM as system is slow & I have trouble with freezeups, I try to defrag. regularly, have several open programes, such as firewalls,Neowatch & blackice, McAfee virusscan, norton util. Gator, autosave, TC. monitor, etc all running at same time, should they all be running at same time or how can I control them ?? would more RAM help & would I have room for it in my setup.

06-09-2001, 03:35 PM
According to Hewlett Packard, you machine has 64mb of RAM. This should be enough for running programs and internet etc. You should try to reduce the ammount of programs you have starting when windows starts, and get rid of norton utilities, it is a memory hungry beast that is hardly ever helpful. If Norton AntiVirus came with Norton utilities then uninstall norton utilities and reinstall it using a custom installation so that you can specify that you only want to install AntiVirus and no other Norton utilities components. Leave your firewall software in startup but clear any other unessessary software from the startup folder or change the program's settings so that it doesn't start with windows.

06-09-2001, 08:06 PM
First off Gator comes with/is spyware.

Given the number of apps you have open you NEED more ram.
You can pick up 128MB for $65, probably cheaper. Given how many apps you run (they are not light weight either) you will probably still use up most of 192mb of ram.

You probably dont need all of these programs running. Disabling the virus scan will speed things up a lot too, if your sensable you wont need it scanning all the time.

All I have running is Explorer and Systray.

07-09-2001, 09:42 PM
I'd agree with the previous comments but would also suggest that you may have too many barricades up, which is impeding the flow of info to and from your system.

The less icons next to the clock the better. Check this page out to see what to do about extra programs and whether they need to be running:

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_index.htm

Matt