PDA

View Full Version : Defrag ... How often should it be done ?

SP8's
19-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Just wondering how often those running XP defrag their drives and whether it should be done on a regular basis, e.g. weekly, monthly ?

I know it probably depends on how often the computer is used and what programs are used, e.g. downloads & software updates, saving files etc.

And, am I correct in assuming that Vista automatically defrags ?

Speedy Gonzales
19-08-2010, 11:43 AM
I think there's a schedule to defrag. But its probably set to a time when the computer is off (if you turn it off that is). Look in task scheduler

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 11:44 AM
Not sure about Vista, but 7 does...With XP i use Smart IO defrag which can be scheduled for weekly defrags.

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2010, 11:54 AM
I recommend that my customers do it "When they remember, once in a blue moon. Weekly, monthly, bi-monthly, whatever".

I also give them defraggler, just coz I like it better ;)

SP8's
19-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Thanks guys. Think I'll just manually start defrag fortnightly before I go to bed and let it shut the comp down when it's finished.

The last defrag I did left a whole heap of fragmented system restore files ... should I be switching system restore off before defrag or is it normal to have some fragmented files left over ?

jareemon
19-08-2010, 12:17 PM
i remember i once had *cough*winME*cough* and it used to defrag very quickly compared to 98se and even xp on the exact same system...

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Thanks guys. Think I'll just manually start defrag fortnightly before I go to bed and let it shut the comp down when it's finished.

The last defrag I did left a whole heap of fragmented system restore files ... should I be switching system restore off before defrag or is it normal to have some fragmented files left over ?

I switch system restore off period!
http://www.iobit.com/iobitsmartdefrag.html?Str=download

qazwsxokmijn
19-08-2010, 01:08 PM
When I used to use an HDD as my main drive I set it up to defrag weekly.

Now I have an SSD defragging is in the past. :D

PPp
19-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I remember copying the ME defragger from a wesite for my W98 computer and thought how quick it was!!

nofam
19-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Good idea to do the odd defrag in Safe Mode too; it frees up a few more system files.

SP8's
19-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the added info guys ... system restore now off, although why I'm listening to someone in a bouncenette I don't know :eek:

Thebananamonkey
19-08-2010, 10:44 PM
I also give them defraggler, just coz I like it better ;)

Definitely with you on Defraggler. That, Spybot S&D and CCleaner are vital components of any PC IMO.

After 20min and those two programs it's amazing how many peoples "Oh, it's old and needs replacing" computers work "like new" again...

Although if everyone ran both once a week I imagine your customer base might well half.

Chilling_Silence
19-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Although if everyone ran both once a week I imagine your customer base might well half.
Yeah exactly, do yourself out of a job :D

:pf1mobmini: