PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Shut Down

bruciebear
19-08-2010, 10:38 AM
My laptop I use at work connected to the main server and then I use it at home. It is very slow to boot up from Shut Down so I use Hibernate alot. Does anyone have an opinion on how often in a week should I use Shut Down? Do you think Hibernate or Stand By is better, in particular for overnight? Cheers.

GreacherTech
19-08-2010, 11:53 AM
First things first. don't leave your computer in stand by. It still uses power and your computer will run out of battery at some stage. hibernation saves all work stored in memory to the HDD and powers down completely

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 12:13 PM
LOL, Id rather use stand by than hibernation, however you are correct, it does still use power, however with laptops lasting almost 8 hrs now, dont think thats an issue...If the OP had an SSD in the laptop, sure, use hibernation........

jareemon
19-08-2010, 01:04 PM
thats 8 hours with aero turned off and the screen at low brightness :(

pctek
19-08-2010, 02:46 PM
My laptop I use at work connected to the main server and then I use it at home. It is very slow to boot up from Shut Down so I use Hibernate alot.

So get the IT staff to sort the slowness problem out.

bruciebear
19-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Yes I am going to have it re installed as I have had it for quite a while. Just wondered about Shut Down V Hibernation etc generally speaking. Cheers.