PDA

View Full Version : CPU cooler thrread 2

smithinator
18-08-2010, 09:16 PM
hi again, i have looked into the megahalem and the h50/h70 water cooling units but none of these look like they will fit in my case without modding so do you know of any other CPU coolers for $150 that is less than 160mm tall, i don't mind if the fans are loud i just want good cooling for a good price. :thanks

Thebananamonkey
18-08-2010, 11:08 PM
The H50/H70 fit in place of your normal 120mm exhaust fan. IF you have a 120mm exhaust fan, that is... what case do you have?

I want an H70 so bad, but I can't really convince myself (or SWMBO) that it would beat my Zalman 9700 by enough to be worth $200. Did hit 83C (Q6600 G0) on torture test today while I was at work... it scared the hell out of me when I got home. I undid that OC quick as a flash.

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 09:37 AM
83c BM.....wahey, still got my G0 @ 9x333, just cant be bothered having to get into the pc to reset in case I go too far...LOL. I actually considered going for 8 x 400 the other day as its been real cold the last month...

smithinator
19-08-2010, 11:16 AM
i have a Tt armor+mx, the h50/70 wont fit because it will hit the side panel fan and the headers tanks either side of the core (radiator) will hit the rail where the psu sits and i can turn the radiator on its side because the side panel is hard against the side of the exhaust fan. if i cant find anything that will fit i will buy one of these and just find an alternative way of mounting it but id prefer to find a CPU cooler that will actually fit.

smithinator
19-08-2010, 12:28 PM
i found this can you tell me if it is any good

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=12449

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 12:47 PM
i found this can you tell me if it is any good

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=12449

Dont know how good or bad they are, do you really want Water Cooling, what CPU do you have?, Are you going to overclock it, what is your target?

I have one of these but use the bolt thru kit
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=10235

You can see it here inside the Wind Tunnel!

smithinator
19-08-2010, 01:07 PM
I'm not really n over-clocker but probably will soon when my i7 860 starts showing its age, it is more for cooling purposes as it is getting reasonably hot, the only reason i am going the water cooling route is because all air coolers i could find where too big, either it hit the side panel fan or it obstructed the ram slots, i have two dominator ram cards in which are reasonable big for ram so both of these things really restrict what coolers i can use.

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 01:18 PM
I'm not really n over-clocker but probably will soon when my i7 860 starts showing its age, it is more for cooling purposes as it is getting reasonably hot, the only reason i am going the water cooling route is because all air coolers i could find where too big, either it hit the side panel fan or it obstructed the ram slots, i have two dominator ram cards in which are reasonable big for ram so both of these things really restrict what coolers i can use.
you should be fine with the artic cooler pro....

smithinator
19-08-2010, 01:31 PM
i think it is too tall... i will be overclocking soon i just haven't yet because i have the stock cooler, i want to go to a min of 3.6 and eventually above 4.0 when it shows its age (which will probably be in less than 2 years) i haven't overclocked before hence the reason I'm doing it slowly i wont have much money for the next few years because i will be at uni so i want to get a really good cooler now so i wont have to replace it for at least 5 years.

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 01:43 PM
i think it is too tall... i will be overclocking soon i just haven't yet because i have the stock cooler, i want to go to a min of 3.6 and eventually above 4.0 when it shows its age (which will probably be in less than 2 years) i haven't overclocked before hence the reason I'm doing it slowly i wont have much money for the next few years because i will be at uni so i want to get a really good cooler now so i wont have to replace it for at least 5 years.

The wind tunnel is only 120mm diameter, and it fits inside, you said you have up to 160mm space....you will be fine with that.

Heat Sink 104 L x 58 W x 126.5 H mm
Fan 92 mm
Fan Speed 900 - 2500 RPM (controlled by PWM)
Air Flow 45 CFM / 77 m3/h
Max. Cooling Capacity 130 Watts
Bearing Fluid Dynamic Bearing
Weight 520 g

smithinator
19-08-2010, 01:53 PM
thanks very much

Thebananamonkey
19-08-2010, 03:06 PM
83c BM.....wahey, still got my G0 @ 9x333, just cant be bothered having to get into the pc to reset in case I go too far...LOL. I actually considered going for 8 x 400 the other day as its been real cold the last month...

This was 8 x 425 for about 8 hours...

Luckily my computer has a failed overclock reset function. Saves messing with the CMOS too much.

Am on 9 x 355 now. Don't really need the speed, just figured I might as well.

Smithinator: Could you mount an H70 as an intake on the front of your case? or if you have a 120mm on the side. There's no reason you specifically need to have it as an exhaust.