PDA

View Full Version : New HDD not working

blanco
18-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo Pi 1505 Laptop HDD Upgrade not working.

Installed a NEW Toshiba SATA 250GB HDD. Fully formatted, installed Win XP Pro and OEM Audio/Video/Printer drivers.
Will not boot in Normal mode and runs extremely slowly and intermittently in Safe mode. The disk activity LED freezes for
long periods and it takes an age to respond to any user input, making it useless. If I refit the original 120GB HDD all works
normally. No BIOS changes made. The operating system and other software loaded on both drives are identical.
I had not expected any compatibility problem but it appears there is such an issue. What am I overlooking? Has any other
of you guys had such an issue and what is the remedy? Do I have to make Bios/Chipset alterations?
I would be very grateful for any suggestions or information. Thanks.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 07:39 PM
sounds like a faulty drive

gary67
18-08-2010, 07:57 PM
How did you copy the drive did you clone it, re reading your post you did a clean install to the new drive?

blanco
18-08-2010, 08:01 PM
It does seem that way but I'm not sure. The drive was delivered in an unopened factory
antistatic foil pack and I handled it with extreme care. I realise that new mass produced
products will have a low percentage failure rate but is this one of them? Hoping for other
suggestions. Does Bios need update to enable the larger capacity HDD? Not getting any
response from Fujitsu Help or their forum.

blanco
18-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes, Gary. This was a clean install using the same XP Pro installation disc that was used
for the original setup.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Does the BIOS recognise this hdd? By the sounds of it, it does, if you installed windows on it. If you know where the BIOS update is, I would check and see what version is on the laptop now and what the latest version is. And see what it fixes. Hmm could be because there's no service packs on the system (if you didn't slipstream any service packs)?

blanco
18-08-2010, 08:22 PM
Speedy, The Bios shows the new HDD correctly and "Mode 5" which can be altered but not knowing what that means I haven't touched it. The Fujitsu d/l site shows a few flash Bios updates from the original 1.06 through 1.08, 1.10 up to 1.14 but there is no mention of larger capacity HDDs in the update attributes.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 08:28 PM
No harm in updating the BIOS then (if you can that is). See what happens. Dont forget to reset it back to the default settings, then reconfigure the settings / save settings after. Does it show the full size of the hdd in the BIOS??

If it doesn't boot normally, what does it do?? Show any errors / crash?

blanco
18-08-2010, 08:41 PM
I've just noticed that the "mode 5" thing is not shown in Bios with the original HDD installed - only if I boot with the new one, so I'm wondering if I need to alter it. What
is it? If I boot in normal mode with the new HDD it just fails to boot, no errors are displayed. It does boot in safe mode but runs too slowly & intermittently to be of any use. I want to get past this "Mode 5" thing before Bios flashing which may not be needed.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Dont worry about the mode, it means DMA mode 5...Thats what BIOS'es detect hdds as. Was the old hdd SATA 1 or 2 and is the new one SATA 1 or 2?

jareemon
18-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Does the drive work as a slave (do satas still use master/slave?:stare:)
with the smaller drive runnong the os?

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 08:50 PM
SATA never used / dont have slave and master. Only master

jareemon
18-08-2010, 08:50 PM
Dont worry about the mode, it means DMA mode 5...Thats what BIOS'es detect hdds as. Was the old hdd SATA 1 or 2 and is the new one SATA 1 or 2?
good question, if the mobo is only sata 1 and the new drive is sata 2, it's not going to work unless the drive has a jumper thing.

blanco
18-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Original is SATA 1. New is described as SATA-300, whatever that is.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 09:29 PM
SATA300 is SATA2. Which means it isnt compatible with your computer, you need a SATA (SATA 150) drive

blanco
18-08-2010, 09:33 PM
There are no Master/Slave settings. I have wondered about Motherboard Jumpers but no
info available yet. Guess I'll have to try Fujitsu helpdesk, see if they have an answer.
What is SATA-300?

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Yup thats probably why its not working. If you installed XP on it, then it must be on SATA 1 / 150. Since the BIOS probably wouldnt see it or you wouldnt be able to install XP on it

jareemon
18-08-2010, 09:37 PM
SATA 300 is 300mb/s transfer rate i think, in any case its twice as fast as SATA150, and the jumper would be on the drive itself, not the motherboard, the jumper on the drive, if there is one, will slow your drive down to the SATA150 rate

blanco
18-08-2010, 09:48 PM
OK Guys, looks like a compatibility issue and I have a spare 250 GB for possible future use. Unless, Fujitsu can suggest a way for the comp to run with it. Thanks all.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 09:57 PM
There should be a switch or something on the back of the hdd. Make sure its on SATA 150 / SATA 1

jareemon
18-08-2010, 09:58 PM
OK Guys, looks like a compatibility issue and I have a spare 250 GB for possible future use. Unless, Fujitsu can suggest a way for the comp to run with it. Thanks all.

One option is, if you cant return it for a refund, buy a 2.5" SATA 2 enclosure, then you can use it as a (styley) external drive
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/External-storage/External-hard-drives/auction-311204208.htm

Agent_24
18-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Most SATA 300 drives should be able to automatically re-negotiate to SATA 150 speeds.

If the drive does not have a jumper to change this setting, you can often change it in the drive's firmware using the manufacturer supplied configuration program.

I would also run HDAT2 and check SMART attributes, in the event that there IS actually a fault with the drive...

SolMiester
19-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Did the OP install the motherboard chipset drivers, I see he did Audio etc, but didnt say chipset....some of the new drive have a jumper to help with re-aligning the drive for 4k, and some have jumpers to force the drive to run in SATA 150, BUT this is only required if the controller wont support SATA 300..The fact the PC is running suggests its ok, and its a config issue