PDA

View Full Version : CD Writing

Driftwood
18-08-2010, 07:19 PM
Just had a look at a XP laptop which user said wouldn't write to or recognize blank CD's. This proved to be true but it would write using Roxio which was installed.
Question: could Roxio be preventing windows from writing to CD's?

jareemon
18-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Possibly, however not deliberately, do any other 3rd party programs work, ie nero?

Driftwood
18-08-2010, 07:30 PM
Dosent have nero, but there is another DVD program installed just for watching DVD Movies.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Programs like Roxio's programs, and disk / cd / dvd emulation programs can screw cd burning up. And these programs can also stop a cd / dvd from appearing in windows at all.

Go to start/run type regedit. Search for upperfilters and / or lowerfilters. (one or both maybe in the same place in the registry)

Tell us if there's anything alongside either in the registry (I'm betting one of Roxio's drivers appear alongside upperfilters or lowerfilters)

If there's something there, delete the entry then reboot.

I also found out the other night, that programs like Kaspersky can also stuff things up (ie: stop USB drivers from installing). It can put an entry alongside upperfilters in the registry, which will stop the USB drivers from installing. And you cant use any USB ports

jareemon
18-08-2010, 07:38 PM
see if you can install a free 3rd party dvd burner (anyone have any suggestions?)
and give it a try, if it works, then its something wrong with windows...
now just to clarify, it's a dvd drive and blank cds are not visible?

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 07:46 PM
If something like Roxio is installed and one of its drivers appear in the registry alongside upperfilters/lowerfilters, it wont matter what program you install.

Until you delete the entry (on the right hand side), in the registry, I dont think burning is going to work.

Driftwood
18-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks guys, when I see it again in a few weeks I'll check that out.

feersumendjinn
18-08-2010, 09:41 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/cd_dvd_drive_problems

Agent_24
18-08-2010, 11:30 PM
Throw Roxio away, it's evil and doesn't deserve to be paid for.

Get one of the free programs, they are so much better

autechre
19-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Ditch Roxio - it's terrible.
Get ImgBurn (http://imgburn.com/) for CD/DVD burning. It's Free!

Driftwood
19-08-2010, 10:37 AM
I had limited time to sort the problem, so wasn't going to uninstall Roxio which was working, on the off chance that the windows writer may come back to life afterwards.