PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario SR5540AN Frozen

ptrg
18-08-2010, 03:43 PM
This 2 year old PC belongs to a friend. Typically it has died while I was using it. No trouble with it before now.

Athlon 64 x2 2.8 GHz processor with 2 GB memory, Vista Home Premium and AVG antivirus.

PC was put to sleep and will not wake up.

Symptoms:
Turn on power at wall socket, press Power switch on case and all fans operate. CD drive light illuminates and drive turns for about 6 seconds. Then drive stops and light goes out. Fans continue to operate but nothing else. No video signal to monitor. No beeps at all on startup. Unable to switch off by pressing Power switch on case. If power switch is held in for about 30 seconds, the cooling fan(s) speed up and remain at higher speed. (Unsure how many or which fans.)
HD is also running as it can be heard to power down when power is switched off at wall socket.

I have tried:
1) A recovery disc in CD drive - no difference - will not read the disc and will not boot from disc. 2) Removed all peripheral devices so the case has nothing connected to it apart from the power cord. Still no difference to above and no beep codes. 3) Removed CMOS battery and held in Power On button etc, to reset bios - no change. 4) Checked voltage of CMOS battery - okay. 5) Removed and refitted all connections to motherboard and drives - no change. 6) Tested power supply voltages. All were within specs, although without any load applied. 7) Removed motherboard and carefully inspected everything. No signs of overheating or faulty capacitors, or anything else amiss. 8) Switched on with dimms and modem card removed, and drives and reader card slot cables disconnected. Still no change and no beeps.

Before I tear out all my hair, please can anybody help?

PENTIUM
18-08-2010, 03:56 PM
As you have already tried pulling PCI cards out, I would be inclined to suspect the power supply unit.

gary67
18-08-2010, 04:02 PM
Didn't Vista have a sleep problem? I seem to recall reading somewhere. I think it could be an operating system error try google vista sleep problem

wratterus
18-08-2010, 04:07 PM
Sounds motherboard/graphics/RAM related to me.

Try pulling out the RAM with the PC powered off, power it on and see if it beeps.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 04:29 PM
I doubt it is anything to do with vista, but that's just me...
the next step would be for you to try taking components out one at a time, and replacing them with ones you know work, I'd start with ram, graphics card, hdd, power supply, motherboard. Can you give us specific hardware information?

ptrg
18-08-2010, 05:36 PM
Thanks for your replies.

gary67:
I would have thought something I have done would have reset the BIOS to exclude whatever mode it went into when last powered down?

wratterus:
Tried that with no success. Still no beeps and no change to the way it 'powers on'.

jareemon:
Unfortunately I am a relative amateur at PC repair so do not have access to a replacement supply of components for swapping.
Hardware information is as follows:
Processor: Athlon 64 X2 (B) 5400+ 2.8 GHz (65W) 2000 MT/s (mega transfers/second) Socket AM2.
Chipset: GeForce 6150SE nForce 430.
Motherboard Name: MCP61PM-HM. (HP name: Iris8-GL6)
Memory: 2 GB 240 pin, DDR2 SDRAM. Speed supported: PC2-6400 MB/sec.
Hard drive: 360 GB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec). 7200 rpm.
DVD drive: 16X DVD(+/-)R/RW 12X RAM (+/-)R DL LightScribe SATA drive.
Modem: 56K bps data/fax modem.
Video graphics: Integrated.
Pocket Media drive bay and memory card reader.

Is this enough information? Seems I could fill pages with specs.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 05:43 PM
did you change anything at all before this started happening?
did you open up the case or change a setting or uninstall install anything at all?

ptrg
18-08-2010, 06:06 PM
No. Nothing changed at all.

Had uploaded some holiday photos to the PC from a CD and viewed them as a slide show in Media Player.

I was called away from the PC and there was a 5 year old around trying to press keys on the keyboard. I think the program would not respond so I used Ctrl+Alt+Del to close it, and then put the thing to sleep. Possibly the 5 yr old touched keys before I managed to get her away from the keyboard.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 06:18 PM
5 year olds are smart, maybe he hacked your bios and planted a virus.
seriously though, i think it could be the graphics, do you have a pci-e or agp slot for a graphics card? if you could find a cheap one, even just an old 32 meg card, plug it in and plug the monitor into that

wainuitech
18-08-2010, 08:03 PM
From what you described in the original post, its highly unlikely to be be an OS problem.

As you described -- if the components were removed
8) Switched on with dimms and modem card removed, and drives and reader card slot cables disconnected. as long as its got a onboard or plugged in speaker, it should have beeped complaining.

Sounds a lot like the motherboard may have died -- It happens.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 08:07 PM
From what you described in the original post, its highly unlikely to be be an OS problem.

As you described -- if the components were removed as long as its got a onboard or plugged in speaker, it should have beeped complaining.

Sounds a lot like the motherboard may have died -- It happens.

I concur

ptrg
18-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.
I suspected early on that the motherboard, or some component on it, may have been the problem but I continued to hope it may have been something simple to replace that would resolve the problem.
After all, if every device that could be faulty is disconnected from the motherboard and the motherboard is then powered on, it should produce some error beeps, right?
This PC continues to power on the same and silently no matter what I do.

wainuitech
18-08-2010, 10:05 PM
While it "Should" beep, they dont always. Have you got a graphic Card you you can drop in and see if it loads that up ?

Seen a couple similar, that I ended up putting in a PCI graphic Card - not flash, but they worked.

One more thing to try, with the board out of the case, on a bench, plug in the PSU, attach a monitor, short the pins in the front header ( power switch) see if makes any difference.

Alex B
18-08-2010, 10:12 PM
I'd try another power supply before calling mother board fault.

Agent_24
18-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Swap the PSU for a known good one?

sarel
19-08-2010, 07:21 AM
I had the same problem with the same model a few years ago. Reading thru the post with problems described brought tears to me bleary eyes. 'Tis was the power supply.

sarel

ptrg
09-09-2010, 03:10 PM
Update!

Took it to the service department of the major chain my friend bought the PC from. The service tech diagnosed a faulty motherboard. Motherboard was replaced and it is now up and running again. Total cost $139. We supplied the mobo at their suggestion (to eliminate their markup) and they fitted it. No other parts required.
I think the service tech felt a bit guilty that the PC had failed short of 2 years (infrequent) use, and gave us a very good deal at $40 labour.
The guarantee was only for 1 year. May have been successful fighting for compensation under the consumer guarantee act but not worth the hassle for $139.

Thanks again to all who commented on this post.