PDA

View Full Version : windows media player

JJJJJ
18-08-2010, 10:51 AM
I removed windows media player from my computer. Now I want it back. I can not find anywhere to download it from.
Does anyone know how I can get it WITHOUT reinstalling windows.
I want the win 7 64 bit version.
Thanks

Deimos
18-08-2010, 10:57 AM
Go to the CP - Programs and Features, then click on the link on the left that says "Turn Windows features on or off", expand out "Media Features" and tick "Windows Media Player"

JJJJJ
18-08-2010, 03:20 PM
Go to the CP - Programs and Features, then click on the link on the left that says "Turn Windows features on or off", expand out "Media Features" and tick "Windows Media Player"

As I said media player has been removed from my computer. Uninstalled, deleted, it's gone.
Turning it on in turn windows features on won't bring it back

wratterus
18-08-2010, 03:22 PM
Doing that should bring it back - have you tried it?

What method did you use for removing it?

jareemon
18-08-2010, 06:07 PM
As I said media player has been removed from my computer. Uninstalled, deleted, it's gone.
Turning it on in turn windows features on won't bring it back

How did you uninstall it? Did you delete the program's folder?
If so, then the following should theoretically still work.

Please check the windows features,

Start>Control Panel>Turn windows features on or off> Media Features>Media Player

If there is a tick in the media player box, remove it then exit and restart and go back and put the tick in the box again, restart.

Let us know how it goes.

JJJJJ
18-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Can't remember now, but I probably deleted the folder.
Have tried the suggested , but no luck.
I do not have a sound card or speakers. I use a headset.
THe reason I deleted it was because Teamspeak kept setting Realtec as the receiver instead of Logitech head set.

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Well u wont get it back then if you deleted the folder. Unless its still in the recycle bin

jareemon
18-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Reformat :)

wainuitech
18-08-2010, 10:06 PM
You can try the following, no idea if it will work or not.

Click start, type in CMD, right click the CMD "Run as Administrator"

type in sfc /scannow - press Enter.

Since WMP is built into windows, System File Check " May" detect its not there and reinstall it. WMP is built in, so there is no separate Download for it.

jareemon
18-08-2010, 10:19 PM
if it is a part of windows, would the "protected system folders" setting have prevented deleting it?

feersumendjinn
18-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Maybe try this
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/download/AllDownloads.aspx

Speedy Gonzales
18-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Don't think WMP 11 will work with Win7

wainuitech
18-08-2010, 10:57 PM
if it is a part of windows, would the "protected system folders" setting have prevented deleting it? Not always as it can be bypassed (but NOT recommended) :D. Generally protected system files are protected as they are required by the OS. media Player is Not Required, as per the N versions.

Seems I was wrong - WMP 12 for W7 can be downloaded from the link feersumendjinn posted for the N & KN versions of W7. Never seen that option before, only other versions of WMP, 11 & Below.

Be interesting to see if the install works on a system that had WMP previously.

JJJJJ
19-08-2010, 07:22 AM
It is WMP 12 I need. I downloaded 11 220 mb's of it and then got the "not compatable" mesage.
SFC/scannow responded with "WRP did not find any integrity violation."

I had no arguement with win7 when I deleted it. But when I try to delete the "my music" folder in the library I get the "part of windows and can't be deleted" message.

So it seems that if I want WMP back I will have to do a repair/install of windows.

Thanks everyone,

Jack

wainuitech
19-08-2010, 09:00 AM
Why didn't you download Player 12 ?

Its there from the link feersumendjinn gave From Drop Down List (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Player_12.jpg)

wainuitech
19-08-2010, 01:51 PM
Just a bit of an update on my previous post -- If you download Version 12, which is in W7, it still wont install if its an OS that comes with WMP already.

Just tried it on a Home Pre and it wouldn't install.

Tried it again on a professional N version of W7 and it did install.

JJJJJ
19-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Just a bit of an update on my previous post -- If you download Version 12, which is in W7, it still wont install if its an OS that comes with WMP already.

Just tried it on a Home Pre and it wouldn't install.

Tried it again on a professional N version of W7 and it did install.

I opened their linked page, but could not get any further. Wouldn't even download.
Looks like a windows reinstal, if I want it badly enough.

Snorkbox
19-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Well why not solve two problems at once possibly? Unplug those 2 x 1 Terabyte drives in RAID and keep the two others which are apparenty all you need so you say. Or keep them and get rid of the other two instead.

Use cloning software to clone the identiclal drives so you have an Image so that if one drive fails you unplug same and use the other. That will remove RAID.

I live about 45 minutes from Rotorua and will do same for two drives if it's any help.

A reinstall will give you WMP back.

Two problems solved and your choice. I won't be offended either way.

Feel free to PM me.