PDA

View Full Version : How can I reduce my fan speed?

8ftmetalhaed
17-08-2010, 07:40 PM
I just came back from PB tech today with a shiny new green LED fan to clash nicely with my blue one that came with my case.
However, despite having it work nicely, it's very (very) loud. like, lawnmower from two houses over sort of noise. Under my desk.
I tried speedfan, but it didn't work. None of my fans reduced in speed, despite their RPM's appearing. It worked on my old PC, so I'm confused as to why speedfan doesn't work on my new one.
Any ideas/solutions?

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Buy some kind of fan controller

8ftmetalhaed
17-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Bah, I forgot to mention I didn't want to do that. I'm poor atm and TBH I only wanted the damn fan because it was going to shiny up my case with its greenly-ness. It does that, nicely. But at a level that's far too loud for my liking.

And pb tech seems to be out of fan controllers. Bugger.

qazwsxokmijn
17-08-2010, 07:58 PM
Grab a 7v fan adapter. Try looking on trademe, or legionenterprises.

8ftmetalhaed
17-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Ok well I'm gonna shut down for a bit and see if I can't shut it up some other way. Else I'll either have to take it out for now, or just live with it being noisy.
Simply because I want it shut up right nao :(

Poppa John
17-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Connect the Fans in series? PJ

gary67
17-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Disconnect it that should slow it down nicely

apsattv
17-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Look in the bios pretty much all modern motherboards have adjustable fan speed settings.

somebody
17-08-2010, 08:31 PM
How many wires come out of the fan? If it's only got two (black & red) then it won't be variable speed.

8ftmetalhaed
17-08-2010, 08:33 PM
Well it connects to a 3 pin header on the mobo, and I checked the bios, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any controls for the fan speeds. Looks like I might have to disconnect it for now or live with it. TBH, I'm more inclined to disconnect the damn thing. It looks cool but when it's this loud I don't think it's worth it.
So, fan controller might be next on my list then.

edit - my front fan can be stopped with speed fan, the other two can't. Strange, since they're all cm ones, all connecting to the same type of header.

8ftmetalhaed
17-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Ok new question - should my motherboard have little LED's lighting up on it during the first few seconds of POST'ing?
It boots up fine but I looked inside my case for the first time during boot and noticed them any ideas as to what they are?

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2010, 10:24 PM
Read the manual for it

linw
17-08-2010, 10:55 PM
They'll be status lights e.g. power OK or something. You will have more of a problem if they don't turn on!

8ftmetalhaed
17-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Ok cheers. In any case, I've temporarily unplugged the fan. I'm not gonna take it back, although I am wondering why it doesn't vary in speed. I'll get a controller at some point, since they're great fun anyway.

somebody
18-08-2010, 07:28 AM
Well it connects to a 3 pin header on the mobo, and I checked the bios, but unfortunately it doesn't seem to have any controls for the fan speeds. Looks like I might have to disconnect it for now or live with it. TBH, I'm more inclined to disconnect the damn thing. It looks cool but when it's this loud I don't think it's worth it.
So, fan controller might be next on my list then.

edit - my front fan can be stopped with speed fan, the other two can't. Strange, since they're all cm ones, all connecting to the same type of header.

It connects to a 3 pin connector, but are there 3 wires coming off the plug (usually something like red, black, and yellow)? If there are only two wires coming off the plug, then it'd be missing the third "control" line.

PENTIUM
18-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Run it off the 5 volt rail.

wratterus
18-08-2010, 04:01 PM
Run it off the 5 volt rail.

x2

8ftmetalhaed
18-08-2010, 05:02 PM
How would I go about doing that?

Roger Hunt
18-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Connect the Fans in series? PJ

Very clever idea

jareemon
18-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Very clever idea

i agree

Poppa John
18-08-2010, 06:06 PM
The running the two fans in series effectiveley runs the fans at half voltage & in theory at half speed.

Idea No 2...Ascertainn the Ohmage of the fan & get an equal Ohmage Potentiometer , variable resistor, & run it in series with one fan. PJ

8ftmetalhaed
18-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Not being ungrateful or anything, but how do I go about setting this up exactly?

jareemon
18-08-2010, 07:52 PM
something about connecting the red wire to the black wire :D

jareemon
18-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I think you basically would connect the positive wire from one fan, connect it to the negative wire on the other, then use a plug for the remaining two wires and plug it in, but dont take my word for it,

8ftmetalhaed
18-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Ah. Well I'd rather not go butchering my nice new fan's wires. I will keep it in mind though, depending on how much a controller will set me back :)

The Hitcher
18-08-2010, 09:33 PM
If your mobo supports it, try using software to slow the fan;
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

xyz823
18-08-2010, 10:02 PM
If your mobo supports it, try using software to slow the fan;
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

:illogical

Agent_24
18-08-2010, 10:26 PM
It connects to a 3 pin connector, but are there 3 wires coming off the plug (usually something like red, black, and yellow)? If there are only two wires coming off the plug, then it'd be missing the third "control" line.

That is incorrect. That 3rd wire is for the RPM readout, it is not used to control fan speed at all.

You can vary the speed of any fan by reducing the voltage or using a PWM controller.

I tried speedfan, but it didn't work. None of my fans reduced in speed, despite their RPM's appearing. It worked on my old PC, so I'm confused as to why speedfan doesn't work on my new one.
Any ideas/solutions?

What is your Motherboard model? You need support from the hardware monitor chip as well as extra circuitry to change the fan's speed.

Often the low end boards use a monitor chip that can control speed but the rest of the circuitry to do the actual voltage control isn't there, so while Speedfan reports it as changeable, it actually won't change.

8ftmetalhaed
18-08-2010, 11:41 PM
It's a gigabyte UD4 p55 mobo, cost about 300 bucks when I got it I believe.

Agent_24
19-08-2010, 12:57 AM
There are other reasons why the speed may not change

1) Often a board may have several fan connectors but not all are speed controlled. Often they can report speed (for fan failure detection) but can't change voltage. Check your manual to see which ones are speed controlled or not, likely not all of them are.

2) Speedfan incorrectly detecting your chip (unlikely if it can read the current speeds)

3) Speedfan not changing speeds very fast. My MSI board actually takes a couple of seconds for the speed set by speedfan to kick in.

In any case, I would do a test on all your fans.

Individually set them to 0% speed and see if they stop. (Of course, set them back to 100% straight away!) You may need to wait several seconds. The CPU fan at least should stop. If even that doesn't work then there is something wrong with speedfan probably.

(Are you running Vista\Win7? may need to run Speedfan as Admin)

Roger Hunt
19-08-2010, 01:17 AM
I think you basically would connect the positive wire from one fan, connect it to the negative wire on the other, then use a plug for the remaining two wires and plug it in, but dont take my word for it,

You are right

8ftmetalhaed
19-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Running win 7 pro x64, just ran it as an admin and had to change all my pwm's or whatever to being software controlled for the front fan to be controllable. I'll muck with it when I get a minute and see if I can get my top exhaust or the rear green one slowing down any. Might be a job for tomorrow arvo.

Thanks for all the help so far.
But for now I'm off to bed.

PENTIUM
20-08-2010, 05:02 PM
To get the 5 volt rail..
There are spare wires available from the power supply, eg floppy disk power connector. Red is plus 5 volts. Black is negative. Your fan black and red wires correspond, forget the about the third wire sensor connection.
You asked for this information earlier in the postings.
Does nobody else know this?