PDA

View Full Version : ZA

NZHawk
17-08-2010, 03:28 PM
My wife installed the newest version of ZA (Zone Alarm Firewall) Free and the computer slowed down - Windows XP.
Research through PF1 seems that a good many use ZA without problems.
What about PCTools Firewall Plus? any opinions / suggestions?

Deimos
17-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Windows XP firewall is adequate, why bother with third party software? also, if you are using an ADSL router NAT provides basic firewall functionality so using a firewall on your PC is pointless unless you have multiple unpatched PCs on the local network.

wratterus
17-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I dislike ZA, it's reasonably heavy when you compare it to the likes of NOD32, and you don't really need a 3rd party firewall.

DeSade
17-08-2010, 03:40 PM
Windows firewall with MSSE works very well for my needs.

Winston001
17-08-2010, 03:47 PM
My wife installed the newest version of ZA (Zone Alarm Firewall) Free and the computer slowed down - Windows XP.

I dumped Zone Alarm some years ago for exactly this reason. Never missed it and Windows firewall is fine.

NZHawk
17-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Thank you all for your input!
Much appreciated.

Cheers,
NZHawk

angry
17-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Research through PF1 seems that a good many use ZA without problems.
What about PCTools Firewall Plus? any opinions / suggestions?

for some reason the latest version of za is an xp killer.

i updated to it and everything turned to s t.

luckilly i still had a copy of the installer package from the older veersion.

uninstalled new reinstalled old everything back to normall.

now looking for an easy free fw with simular features for xp and my second 7 trial.

linw
17-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Add me for no ZA, AVG etc. Just got rid of these in a low end XP laptop and added MSE with Win firewall. The difference in responsiveness was amazing.

mikebartnz
17-08-2010, 10:54 PM
Windows XP firewall is adequate, why bother with third party software? also, if you are using an ADSL router NAT provides basic firewall functionality so using a firewall on your PC is pointless unless you have multiple unpatched PCs on the local network.
The XP and router firewall will not stop any outgoing packets so in my opinion you do need one.

Deimos
17-08-2010, 11:27 PM
The XP and router firewall will not stop any outgoing packets so in my opinion you do need one.

XP does actually stop unknown apps from talking to the network, so I don't know WTF your are talking about.

And the purpose of a firewall is to block unsolicited, or malicious incoming traffic, if you want to block outgoing traffic you might as well unplug your NIC.

And I don't know why people are so concerned with blocking outbound connections, seriously, on any PC all your info is given up readily by your browser and/or browsing habits, so blocking outbound connections for anything other than your browser is pretty much pointless...

wainuitech
17-08-2010, 11:33 PM
What about PCTools Firewall Plus? A customer wanted me to reinstall that today after his son took it off about a month ago whiel doing a "clean up".

It lasted two reboots then Off again -- talk about slowwwwwwwwww down.

mikebartnz
18-08-2010, 01:15 AM
XP does actually stop unknown apps from talking to the network, so I don't know WTF your are talking about.

And the purpose of a firewall is to block unsolicited, or malicious incoming traffic, if you want to block outgoing traffic you might as well unplug your NIC.

And I don't know why people are so concerned with blocking outbound connections, seriously, on any PC all your info is given up readily by your browser and/or browsing habits, so blocking outbound connections for anything other than your browser is pretty much pointless...
More home work needed. Vista and Win7 do but not XP. Have a look here (http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/zonelabs-zonealarm-vs-windows-vista.html).
Having installed a software firewall on many computers I have often disabled up to 20 programs from accessing the net unnecessarily. Tell me what does the print spooler system need it for? Every thing you stop eliminates potential problems.

Deimos
18-08-2010, 04:03 AM
More home work needed. Vista and Win7 do but not XP. Have a look here (http://labnol.blogspot.com/2006/04/zonelabs-zonealarm-vs-windows-vista.html).
Having installed a software firewall on many computers I have often disabled up to 20 programs from accessing the net unnecessarily.

Congrats, you just quoted an article that is wrong :clap

Someone even commented, just 3 posts down about it, nice reading skillz :annoyed:

Tell me what does the print spooler system need it for? Every thing you stop eliminates potential problems.

Um, just a stab in the dark, how about uh.... PRINTING???!!!

Quick lesson on Windows for you - disabling services is not a good idea because a) if you don't know what it does, it was probably doing something important, and b) if you do know what it does, disabling it is not going to free up much in the way of resources, and some services are there to "eliminate potential problems".

mikebartnz
18-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Congrats, you just quoted an article that is wrong :clap

Someone even commented, just 3 posts down about it, nice reading skillz :annoyed:

Um, just a stab in the dark, how about uh.... PRINTING???!!!

Quick lesson on Windows for you - disabling services is not a good idea because a) if you don't know what it does, it was probably doing something important, and b) if you do know what it does, disabling it is not going to free up much in the way of resources, and some services are there to "eliminate potential problems".
I did read that but having looked at a number of other sites as well as MS's, you and that guy are wrong and XP does not stop outgoing packets only incoming.
You aren't very bright Print spooler system has no need to access the internet which is what we were talking about (unless you are trying to print over the internet which I have not known anyone to do) and not turning off services. In XP there are about ten services that can be disabled which helps to make your PC more secure and it does free up resources which can only help.
I think you are the one that needs the lessons you young whipper snapper.

Deimos
18-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I did read that but having looked at a number of other sites as well as MS's, you and that guy are wrong and XP does not stop outgoing packets only incoming.

The last time I used XP (with SP3) the firewall complained when any new application tried to talk to the network, and an exception had to be added for it to work.

You aren't very bright Print spooler system has no need to access the internet which is what we were talking about (unless you are trying to print over the internet which I have not known anyone to do)

If you actually knew anything about networking, you would know that very few programs can distinguish the difference between the local area network and the internet, that is what your router is for.

In XP there are about ten services that can be disabled which helps to make your PC more secure and it does free up resources which can only help.

Sounds to me like you are talking out your ass, I highly doubt that you could come up with "about 10" services that if disabled would "improve security", yes there is at least one service that had a major security flaw in it but it was patched by Microsoft many years ago.

And as for freeing up resources, example: disabling the task manager service will free up resources, but then windows xp doesn't optimise startup and program launch processes, so you end up with a slower PC, not a faster one.

wainuitech
18-08-2010, 01:00 PM
(unless you are trying to print over the internet which I have not known anyone to do) It can be done -- you can be in one location any where in the world, and send a print job to a printer that has the correct software over the Internet.

I have it my self, only used it a couple of times, but it works fine. The software is called printershare (http://www.printeranywhere.com/)

mikebartnz
18-08-2010, 01:57 PM
It can be done -- you can be in one location any where in the world, and send a print job to a printer that has the correct software over the Internet.

I have it my self, only used it a couple of times, but it works fine. The software is called printershare (http://www.printeranywhere.com/)
I knew it could be done just that I had never known anyone to do it.

mikebartnz
18-08-2010, 02:09 PM
The last time I used XP (with SP3) the firewall complained when any new application tried to talk to the network, and an exception had to be added for it to work..
I will concede that XP with SP3 can do it when you supply a definitive link to it.

If you actually knew anything about networking, you would know that very few programs can distinguish the difference between the local area network and the internet, that is what your router is for..
If you would think before typing ZA etc know the difference though and that is what we are really talking about.

Sounds to me like you are talking out your ass, I highly doubt that you could come up with "about 10" services that if disabled would "improve security", yes there is at least one service that had a major security flaw in it but it was patched by Microsoft many years ago..
Once again think before you type because I never said that only that they could be turned off and any service not needed and turned off has to make your PC more secure.

And as for freeing up resources, example: disabling the task manager service will free up resources, but then windows xp doesn't optimise startup and program launch processes, so you end up with a slower PC, not a faster one.
You really are a bit of a dim wit.:groan: