PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 Homegroup

jareemon
17-08-2010, 10:40 AM
How to transfer files?
I have 2 laptops, one with win7x64 and one with win7x32, connected via wifi N, on a wifi modemrouter.
I've set up a homegroup, and both computers are currently joined to this homegroup.
On my laptop (lets call him mr 64), if i go to explorer, and then click homegroup on the left pane, it says no homegroup computers are currently connected. If i go to wmp12 on mr 64, and click my flatmates computer's name (call him mr 32), and then go to view all music (that is, all of mr 32's music), wmp12 says:
"The remote media library did not allow the connection. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information."
I have checked the homegroup sharing options on both computers and the settings look fine.
If i go on mr 32, and go to explorer, my computer is visible in the homegroup folder. if i double click mr 64, 2 network folders on mr 64 appear: videos and music. If i double click either of them, nothing happens. also, according to mr 32, the size of mr 64's two shared folders is apparantly less than 1mb. (they are many gbs in fact.)
If, on mr 32, i go to wmp12 i can stream videos that are stored on mr 64.
So heres my questions:
1. whats goin on?
2. All i want to be able to do is easily transfer files from one computer to another over a wifi network. How can i do this easily, and with a method where i can introduce another laptop, connect, and start transferring files without all this fuss?

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Create and share a folder. If you want to share normal files. Go to advanced sharing settings. Enable media streaming. In WMP12, go to organize select whatever then add the folders the music / whatever is in

jareemon
17-08-2010, 07:16 PM
media streaming is already enabled, but thats not what im after anyway, what i want to do is to be able to copy a file from the other computer's shared folder, to my computer. and vice versa.

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2010, 07:29 PM
Did you create a folder then right mouse / share with whoever. Change it to everyone / then add

wainuitech
17-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Personally I would worry / Use homegroup, it can be a PITA -- the media sharing if you use it between devices still works fine.

If you share the folder(s) you want, and as long as the permissions are set correctly the "old style" of sharing works better.

Any other computer joining your Network can see and have access to the shared folders,(best if on same work group).

jareemon
17-08-2010, 10:22 PM
sorry wainui, i have no idea what you just said, do you mean i should have a workgroup thingie instead of a homegroup thingie? networks are certainly not my strongpoint..

jareemon
17-08-2010, 10:24 PM
and speedy, do you think that is neccesary, even though my music and video folders are already shared, do you think i should create a new shared folder altogether? wouldnt that meani would have to copy all my music and videos into those folders?

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Get teamviewer, I'll show you how

jareemon
17-08-2010, 10:49 PM
teamviewer installed, do i need to use my flatmates computer when we do this or no? if we need to use his computer, we'll need to do it tomorrow sometime, otherwise whenever suits you, now or whenever...

Speedy Gonzales
17-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Either altho if his isnt working (you cant access whatever from his), we can do his first. Depends if you want it to work on both

jareemon
17-08-2010, 11:16 PM
i want it to work on any computer that joins the homegroup at any time, but at the moment, the priority is for him to copy files from my computer

wainuitech
17-08-2010, 11:19 PM
sorry wainui, i have no idea what you just said, do you mean i should have a workgroup thingie instead of a homegroup thingie? networks are certainly not my strongpoint.. While Homgroup can work, personally I have seen lots of troubles with it.

Using the old Style networking, you can still share basically what ever folder you want (within reason).
even though my music and video folders are already shared, do you think i should create a new shared folder altogether? You can still share those folders or any new ones you decide.

Turn off the home group, set up sharing on the PC(s) click start, type in Sharing select "Manage Advanced sharing Settings", open, set them Like these here (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Sharing_Settings.jpg) - save, then share what folders you want. Using home group can cause more trouble than its worth -- any PC has to have Windows 7 other wise homegroup wont work.

IF you share the folder(s) correctly, then its a piece of cake.

Have a look at this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkvfY_WA7xI) made it in a bit of a hurry hence its a bit crappy ( blow it up to full screen, easier to see), but see how easy it is, its a two stage operation, the second stage ( advanced sharing) is where many people fall down as they dont do it. LOTS of people dont change the read/Write settings either - so they can see the shares but cant do anything with them -- Big mistake, then wonder why its not working.

Any PC, with Any OS can see the shared folders as long as they are on your Network / LAN -- it pays to still have the workgroups the same for all PC's. XP Home usually comes as MSHOME ( from Memory) -- Where as W7 comes as WORKGROUP - you can change these names to your liking.