PDA

View Full Version : Text Format- any help?

blanco
17-08-2010, 03:00 AM
For some unknown reason my list of telephone numbers stored on ext drive
has changed into an unreadable format. Anybody recognise it? and how do
I convert it back to humanoid format. Here is part of it

<ةl\ֽMϼEgA?\"
3cScCp-mb6Pne3ȨqD'_#{T6Ze/FzqU>0PqZ[$@$(XA#gؚojֳ !9*`t'CR٢ʳayG>1n[#׶{bJҬ>]Qj Tɻ98~]6U@ ,zp8" dHNsޣݶB06ym3F7t *&3dz[s t

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 03:06 AM
So what software did you use to create the file and what is the full file name?

blanco
17-08-2010, 03:15 AM
It was a Wordpad file .rtf

Computer/J/All Graham/Family Info/Telephone Numbers 13.01.08

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 03:20 AM
So when you double click on the file does it open in Wordpad or is it trying to open in Notepad?

Try right click on file > open with and choose Wordpad then always open with Wordpad. If you have Office you can choose Word which can also Open *.rtf files.

What is your operating system?

blanco
17-08-2010, 03:38 AM
Properties show that it opens with Wordpad and does just that. I have also tried Open
Office and it shows the same gobbledegook. The same thing has happened to 2 other rtf
files and a txt file in the same folder - nowhere else.
I have tried "previous versions" in "properties" but none are available in all cases.
Can't fathom the cause but its a bit of a pest. I'm on Windows 7

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 03:47 AM
Looks like the files that fail to open are probably corrupt then. Usually due to removing an external drive or an unexpected win7 shutdown due to power cut or whatever while files are open and have not been fully written back.

Have you got these files on your PC anywhere else or a backup on CD or DVD? If so then try a restore from the backup.

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 03:59 AM
You might want to try this:-

http://www.ceveni.com/2008/07/how-to-repair-corrupted-word-files-doc.html

I have not used same but it might do the job.

blanco
17-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks a lot Mate. You have reminded me that I burned all my docs to DVD a few months ago. How could I forget that?! Thinking too much about the ext drive saving.
Recovery of these Files are now simple. They included burial plot info and all sorts of
family info. Obviously, there is a lesson to be learned from this thread - always backup
vital data to media Off Computer.
Thanks again............................................. ......................................blanco

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Great that the problem is solved and backups are a must. Make them off site is a good idea too. No use if the Copies are in your house if the house burned down.

blanco
17-08-2010, 08:16 AM
OK. Have you had a fire recently?

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 08:31 AM
OK. Have you had a fire recently?

No I haven't but then one could happen anytime so therefore I have off site arrangements just in case. I haven't been burgled either but if I was they'd likely take the PC and all cds and dvds that were lying about.