PDA

View Full Version : Can I uninstall Windows Explorer and

dianne pierce
16-08-2010, 10:56 PM
Microsoft outlook now I have downloaded Firefox and Thunderbird?

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 11:06 PM
You mean internet explorer?? No, as its part of windows. Just make FF the default browser. You can uninstall Outlook tho, if you want. Just Click on the Office entry in add/remove programs (or whatever the version of windows is). And select Outlook to uninstall it. And dont select the other programs (word etc), if you want to keep them

Renmoo
16-08-2010, 11:14 PM
You mean internet explorer?? No, as its part of windows
Uhm, yes?

Control Panel > Add / Remove Programs > Turn Windows features on or off > Untick Internet Explorer 8 > Ok > Ok > Restart Computer.

dianne pierce
16-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Thanks speedy.I can't believe the speed of firefox and thunderbird. I have had so much trouble with IE and Outllook Express just hanging - even took the pc to a computer technician who finally concluded that my windows must be corrupted, however, now that I have switched to firefox and thunderbird the problems have been solved.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 11:20 PM
Umm well she didnt say what version of windows, but if its win7 then yup you can. But it cant be win7 if OE was on it. Unless she means Outlook, which isn't the same thing

dianne pierce
16-08-2010, 11:27 PM
oooops, can't find outlook express in add/remove only the updates to it. Operating Windows XP Version 2 Service Pack 3

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 11:30 PM
In that case, you cant uninstall OE or IE (you can only revert back to a previous version of IE, if you installed a later version) in XP. You can only uninstall IE8 in Windows 7. Just make TB and FF the default programs for the browser and email client

dianne pierce
16-08-2010, 11:31 PM
thanks people for your help. Did what was suggested and it has worked great.............thanks once again.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Sweet

angry
17-08-2010, 01:25 AM
In that case, you cant uninstall OE or IE (you can only revert back to a previous version of IE, if you installed a later version) in XP. You can only uninstall IE8 in Windows 7. Just make TB and FF the default programs for the browser and email client

you can remove it though, if you go back in the old posts 04 ish chill and i wrote instructions on how to.

:)

Erayd
17-08-2010, 03:18 AM
you can remove it though...Except that you can't, because too many other bits of Windows (and various other third-party applications) rely on the Trident rendering engine. You can uninstall the 'browser' interface to IE, but unfortunately you're still stuck with the guts of it - which basically means that IE can't be removed in any real way.