PDA

View Full Version : Win7 Ad-Hoc

The Error Guy
16-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Being boarders me and the guys down our dorm often get together and have a couple of round of COD every week. I have a 24 port stack but its a bit impractical to use it becuase the would be cables going everywhere.

The boarding houses wireless router can't cope with the network load so I have set up an Ad-Hoc network. 90% of the time it works fine but there are several times when it becomes unstable with latency ranging from 13ms to 999ms followed by timeouts ect. All computers on the network are wireless N compliant however usually the radio type shows as b/g and ends up running on 802.11b which causes latency spikes.

What would cause the network to default to 802.11b? all computers have NIC's that support g/n so what is causing windows to drop down to wireless B with no apparent reason?

Of course I could sack up and buy another router dedicated that would solve this (eying up another WRT to pick around with using DD or tomato)

Thanks for any help with this. Everyone tends to blame when shist goes wrong (ahh the perils of the tech minded):nerd:

Renmoo
16-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Do you go through the Wizard to setup the ad hoc connection?

Have you considered Connectify as an alternative?

(Connectify is a wireless AP emulator which turns one of your chosen laptop / computer into a wireless router)

The Error Guy
17-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Ill try connectify

Renmoo
17-08-2010, 08:49 AM
I find the latest version of Connectify to be relatively buggy. Mileage may vary, but if version 2.0 doesn't seem to work, go for version 1.2 instead.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/Connectify.shtml

SolMiester
17-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Being boarders me and the guys down our dorm often get together and have a couple of round of COD every week. I have a 24 port stack but its a bit impractical to use it becuase the would be cables going everywhere.

The boarding houses wireless router can't cope with the network load so I have set up an Ad-Hoc network. 90% of the time it works fine but there are several times when it becomes unstable with latency ranging from 13ms to 999ms followed by timeouts ect. All computers on the network are wireless N compliant however usually the radio type shows as b/g and ends up running on 802.11b which causes latency spikes.

What would cause the network to default to 802.11b? all computers have NIC's that support g/n so what is causing windows to drop down to wireless B with no apparent reason?

Of course I could sack up and buy another router dedicated that would solve this (eying up another WRT to pick around with using DD or tomato)

Thanks for any help with this. Everyone tends to blame when shist goes wrong (ahh the perils of the tech minded):nerd:

Are you running encryption?

The Error Guy
17-08-2010, 11:03 AM
@Solmeister: Sometimes, didn't seem to make a difference.
@Jamuz 2.0 is running and I got it connected to another machine. ill test perfromance performance this evening. thanks all!