PDA

View Full Version : Harley Davidson (Maybe??) Finally Dying & Pulling Out Of USA ??

SurferJoe46
16-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Yeah - they just announced that they can't afford the bloodsucking leeches (unions) and they are going to greener pastures.

The original thoughts were to go to a different state - one that has 'Right-To-Work' employees laws where they don't have to run a union shop.

That won't last long and HD knows it. Thus starts the slow spiral-to-death that has been coming for the past 30 years or so.

Maybe a China or Korea move for their motorcycle manufacturing now will keep them afloat. I hope not.

I can't see how they can get any worse for quality control - they've always been an iconic piece of junk as far as I am concerned.

If you own one, just don't try to drive it outside of the city limits unless you get followed by a pickup truck to haul you back home again.

LINK (http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/20/harley-davidsons-financial-fortunes-brighten-milwaukees-dim/?src=mv)

Good riddance to overpriced junk! I can't wait to see them go.

Happy Harry
16-08-2010, 05:23 PM

Hey SJ
I have only ever ridden a Harley once.
It scared the crap out of me.
Very harsh and at the 1st reasonable corner, I leaned and leaned some more and when I figured that it wasn't going to go into the corner, I grabbed a big handfull of steering (like you do with a tractor) Because of the crap castor angles of the front wheel /forks, this involves you lifting up the whole front end weight of the bike and then wrestling with it to keep it there until you are back on the straightaway.
Bikes are meant to handle, go fast and then be able to stop fast.
This thing did not manage to do any of these.
It astonishes me , how many of them are sold.

HH

Happy Harry
16-08-2010, 05:39 PM

Whoops
Double up

pctek
16-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah - they just announced that they can't afford the bloodsucking leeches (unions) and they are going to greener pastures.

Right. China.

Terry Porritt
16-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Hey SJ
I have only ever ridden a Harley once.
It scared the crap out of me.
Very harsh and at the 1st reasonable corner, I leaned and leaned some more and when I figured that it wasn't going to go into the corner, I grabbed a big handfull of steering (like you do with a tractor) Because of the crap castor angles of the front wheel /forks, this involves you lifting up the whole front end weight of the bike and then wrestling with it to keep it there until you are back on the straightaway.
Bikes are meant to handle, go fast and then be able to stop fast.
This thing did not manage to do any of these.
It astonishes me , how many of them are sold.

HH

I don't think HDs were designed with New Zealand roads in mind, or even European roads for that matter.

Design is always a compromise between effortless long distance touring and the "café racer"...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caf%C3%A9_racer

Though the Vincent managed to do both :) as witness their repeated successes in the late 1940s Clubmans IOM races, until 1000cc were banned :devil

prefect
16-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Harleys look nice, but not suited to NZ roads, too slow and too heavy.

Metla
16-08-2010, 08:30 PM
Load of rubbish, The bikes are designed for a way of riding, not a type of road.

Perfectly suited for NZ roads.