PDA

View Full Version : New monitor suggestions sought

DeSade
16-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Hi All

Looking at getting a new monitor to take advantage of my new graphics.

30" ish
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to get?

Price is a consideration but not hugely so at this point.

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Hi All

Looking at getting a new monitor to take advantage of my new graphics.

30" ish
Does anyone have any recommendations as to which one to get?

Price is a consideration but not hugely so at this point.

Hey mate, in the same boat, I need 2 for an expo, see other post!...Im thinking of getting LCD\TV's instead as I cant stand straining my eyes..
Found a 1080 LED LCD\TV for $1050!!!, PS: 200hz!

DeSade
16-08-2010, 10:45 AM
Sounds good for what you need, but its not eyestrain I am worried about its screen real-estate, i need nice high native resolution.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 10:56 AM
So, whats the limit?? You could probably get a 32 inch LCD TV, (with freeview) for about $699+. Probably be better if you brought one with HDMI on it (thats if the vidcard has HDMI on it)

DeSade
16-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah the 480 has HDMI and I prefer to use that of course, not sure if a TV based monitor is the right way to go but I really don't know much about them.

Price wise I would rather not spend more than 2k.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 11:05 AM
The cost wont be anything near 2k. Nothing wrong with getting an LCD TV with more than 1 HDMI connection. That way you can connect the computer, and switch between the 2 (or more). You could get a Sony 40 inch for $1400 at DSE (with 4 HDMI inputs). Or if thats too big, a 32 inch Sony for $890 (with 4 HDMI on it). Both have freeview

DeSade
16-08-2010, 11:08 AM
But what is their native resolution for computer work?
I needs to look at least as good as what I have now
Fast response time, high contrast ratio etc etc.

AvonBill
16-08-2010, 11:11 AM
In my opinion once you are getting to 30" or above, a resolution of 1920*1080 is not good enough. The pixels are getting too large. Reasonably good 30" monitors have resolutions of 2560*1600 or better.

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 11:13 AM
1080P, which is full HD

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 11:19 AM
As I said....Samsung LED LCD\TV 1920x1080 200hz refresh!, thats 3d speed, and has HDMI however!, 3d doesnt work over HDMI...anyway, super slim at $1050 is a bargain, but as stated at that size you may want the extra real estate, BUT you will pay for it!

DeSade
16-08-2010, 11:19 AM
It does sound like the res will be too small on the TV.
I might have to go into DSE or something and see one working.

DeSade
16-08-2010, 11:21 AM
As I said....Samsung LED LCD\TV 1920x1080 200hz refresh!, thats 3d speed, and has HDMI however!, 3d doesnt work over HDMI...anyway, super slim at $1050 is a bargain, but as stated at that size you may want the extra real estate, BUT you will pay for it!

Yeah I am beginning to think maybe my sights are too high, my budgets are usually sufficient but this time I am not sure.

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Yeah I am beginning to think maybe my sights are too high, my budgets are usually sufficient but this time I am not sure.

Cheapest I can find is the HP!

http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=138061 $2017
and here is the review from Anand
http://www.anandtech.com/show/2194

Conclusions

All other things being equal - and in our testing we would have to say that the Dell 3007WFP and HP LP3065 are in a dead heat - price and features are going to usually be the determining factors on what LCD people want to buy. In the features department, we definitely give the edge to HP, but this will really only matter to people who plan on using more than one computer with the display. Otherwise, you could basically purchase either of these LCDs and be happy.
Is a 30" LCD the best display on the market? That really depends on what you plan on doing with your computer. If you like to run numerous applications at the same time, the added real estate can prove handy. Games and movies also look really nice on a large display, although as we mentioned on the Dell 3007WFP review HDCP support on dual-link DVI is currently not possible. Hopefully that never becomes an issue, and as long as Hollywood doesn't begin enabling the ICT (Image Constraint Token), it shouldn't be a problem. If you want to have a multipurpose display, however, we would seriously consider a 1080p LCD HDTV as an alternative. Some of those LCD TVs might not fit very well on a computer desk, but then some of them aren't much larger than the 30" LP3065.
It was interesting to hear from HP about the reasons current 30" LCDs don't have on-screen displays or support for non-dual-link inputs. While plenty of people will be happy with the displays as is, we are definitely interested in seeing next-generation 30" displays that have improved circuitry to allow for other resolutions and input options, along with an OSD. The small pixel size on the 2560x1600 panel seems to allow lower resolutions to run without feeling quite as blurry as they do on other LCDs. Perhaps that's simply because the scaling is being done on the GPU rather than on the display itself, but owners of the latest generation gaming consoles would probably like to be able to use one of these displays as well, especially in situations like college dorms where having multiple displays often isn't possible. However, until we see such 30" displays, we would rate the HP LP3065 as the best shipping 30" LCD, even if it's only by a small margin of victory.

DeSade
16-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Hmmm over 2k is a little in the painful area I gotta say.

AvonBill
16-08-2010, 12:03 PM
If you were happy with 27" then there are some great monitors out there at a good price.

For example:
http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?item=MONSSM1112684

This Samsung 27" is only $640. You could get two or even three!

DeSade
16-08-2010, 12:08 PM
I guess that could be big enough, is there anything between that and the 30" Like a 29" maybe?

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 12:11 PM
DeSade, as AvonBill states, you could get 2 or 3 for what do NV call it? surround something or rather, or get a really flash 1080 or 19x12 with 120hz for 3D gaming!...

DeSade
16-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah that might be the best option.....

I don't think a word document would look good on a LCD TV.

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeah that might be the best option.....

I don't think a word document would look good on a LCD TV.

Not sure how it would look any different mate, but then Im not sure on the differences myself.
I think a normal LCD is like 60hz refreash, a 3d gaming LCD is 120hz as it requires 2 images, the Samsung is 200hz!!.

Wonder if it has that picture in picture?, you could surf and watch TV same time, now that would be a flash monitor!...I did see this TV and I can assure you the text was the best looking out of all the rest including the Sony, Panny and LG...so sharp!

You should go have a look mate, before you pull the trigger!

DeSade
16-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Yeah I gave DSE a call and arranged a "demo".

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Yeah I gave DSE a call and arranged a "demo".

Wicked, let us know how you got on, I would seriously love one of them for home...jealous!!!

DeSade
16-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Whats the model of that Samsung, might as well see if I can find one of those to look at also.

Deimos
16-08-2010, 01:40 PM
You could get 3 x 24" monitors (can be had for as little as $300 each) with either 2 video cards (nvidia flavour in SLI will give you 3 screen gaming with no need for displayport adapters) or one card with 3 outputs (ATI flavour will require a displayport adapter which is around $100 - $200, or you could look at getting a firegl or Quadro with 4 DVI out but these tend to be over $1000).

You will end up with significantly more screen realestate than a single 30" monitor and the cost will probably be a bit less...

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Whats the model of that Samsung, might as well see if I can find one of those to look at also.

Sorry mate, didnt take notice of model #, however there cant be too many 32 inch 1080 200hz LED LCD\TV from Samsung!

Wonder if its the series 6 as I cant see 32 in the newer models....this looks like it to me...
http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/led-tv/UA32C6900VFXXY/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&returnurl=

DeSade
16-08-2010, 01:53 PM
Not sure I can fit three monitors (or even two) on my current desk, a larger one would fit easier but its not something I am not discounting because of that.

and I already have the SLI running.

DeSade
16-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Sorry mate, didnt take notice of model #, however there cant be too many 32 inch 1080 200hz LED LCD\TV from Samsung!

Your right there are not but so far they are all over $1500 that I have found on pricespy etc.

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 02:03 PM
Your right there are not but so far they are all over $1500 that I have found on pricespy etc.

Well, Im in Napier, this was Duckworths home vision....special!, however they said as I needed 2, that they are normally $1150?....Im sure you can negotiate the price a little....

DeSade
16-08-2010, 02:08 PM
Has anyone got a multiple monitor set up like Deimos suggests.
How does this work with games that scroll by hitting the edge of the screen with the mouse. Wouldn't that mean there is no edge, or at least the edge is three monitors away?

utopian201
16-08-2010, 02:17 PM
You could get 3 x 24" monitors (can be had for as little as $300 each) with either 2 video cards (nvidia flavour in SLI will give you 3 screen gaming with no need for displayport adapters) or one card with 3 outputs (ATI flavour will require a displayport adapter which is around $100 - $200, or you could look at getting a firegl or Quadro with 4 DVI out but these tend to be over $1000).

You will end up with significantly more screen realestate than a single 30" monitor and the cost will probably be a bit less...

The 30" will be an IPS panel, which means better colours, contrast and viewing angles.

Deimos
16-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Has anyone got a multiple monitor set up like Deimos suggests.
How does this work with games that scroll by hitting the edge of the screen with the mouse. Wouldn't that mean there is no edge, or at least the edge is three monitors away?

I have a set up like this (posted pics on here not that long ago).

If you are talking about strategy games it can be a complete PITA, the screen boundaries work as normal, but when you go beyond the screen boundary (on to another screen) and then click (by accident or what ever) the game will then drop to the task bar.

Some games will run on all three screens though, in which case it's not really a problem, strat games would be best run on three screens in portrait mode.

Also, if you are worried about not being able to fit 3 screens on your desk, you could get a desk mounted bracket that would hold 3 screens no problem, have seen setups like this at HardOCP, and I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to source mounting kits like them locally.

Deimos
16-08-2010, 02:38 PM
The 30" will be an IPS panel, which means better colours, contrast and viewing angles.

You can still get 3 x 24" IPS monitors and something to drive them for close to $2000, I was just pointing out that for raw screen real estate there are better options.