PDA

View Full Version : Screen Problem

pctek
16-08-2010, 08:02 AM
Friend has just got a new (refurbished) LCD monitor. Until now she has always used CRT as she does not like the smallness of LCDs - that is icons and text smallness like you got in Win XP - however she also has WIn7 now so she can enlarge icons etc according to how big she likes.

But. She says this LCD has a problem - especially at the sides - doesn't look right - the native resolution is 1366 x 768. She has used other LCD screens at work so it's not that she hasn't seen one before.

I don't know exactly what she meant - she said she loaded Dragon Age and played around with res in there and had some weird figure before it "looked right".

She sent these screenshots but I can't see it - any of you guys see a problem?

She has it on it's native res in the screenshots.
She insists the CRT looks a lot better - she also insisted the CRT was displaying in 1366 x 768 too - and I seriously doubt that.

She stuffed it up at one point cause she changed DPI to 500% - I suspect she just wants huge text and icons like you get on a low res CRT. Unless I'm missing something?

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Neither of those resolutions look native to me PCT, did she give you a monitor model number etc!, Cant say I have ever seen a 13x7 native LCD!

linw
16-08-2010, 09:57 AM
The res doesn't look quite right to me based on those images. The circle icons look stretched sideways.

I've met people who get high resolution screens and want 800x600 'cos the icons/text looks too small!

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Yeah I know of some older / cheaper LCD's that output at that resolution.

Easiest solution: Try another LCD

I agree though, I sincerely doubt that the CRT is actually outputting at that same resolution... More than likely 1024x768 or 1280x1024, but unlikely a CRT that's widescreen.

pctek
16-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Neither of those resolutions look native to me PCT, did she give you a monitor model number etc!, Cant say I have ever seen a 13x7 native LCD!

It's an ASUS VH102C 18.5" 1366x768.
She most likely has messed with icon size and stuff.
But she says "graphics look shitty pixels here ".

wainuitech
16-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Apart from the icons looking all wrong, the rest looks Ok.

Did she give you the right model Number -- According to a google search, and ASUS site there is no such model ?

Theres a VH192C (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=7eJQijI2gJXSqaAx) ?
Panel Size: 18.5“ Wide Screen
Color Shine Technology
True Resolution: 1366x768 The resolution is correct then 1366x768

But she says "graphics look shitty pixels here ". Could be a dud / Faulty graphics card -- one way to tell, attach a known good LCD and see if theres any difference.

pctek
16-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Apart from the icons looking all wrong, the rest looks Ok.

Theres a VH192C (http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=7eJQijI2gJXSqaAx) ? The resolution is correct then 1366x768

Could be a dud / Faulty graphics card -- one way to tell, attach a known good LCD and see if theres any difference.
Ok, she screenprinted it and pasted it into Word, I copied it back out and pasted it into Photofiltre so I could upload it here. In the original Word doc the icons are not oval. In fact I changed my screen to the same pic and printed both out and showed husband who said he can't tell the difference except her icons are bigger than mine.

Yes typo: I meant VH192C.

The only other monitor she has is the CRT. I can't go there - she lives 35km from Oamaru in the middle of nowhere.

She has never liked LCD though - I am beginning to wonder if that is what she means - she has my old ASUS 4870 in her PC, it sees it as the correct model, could be an older driver but as she is on dialup it will be a bit of a mission to download a later one. Anyway the card hasn't been a problem until she plugged in this monitor.

All she says is it looks shitty. Whatever that means - and particularly at the sides of the screen. Where?

I know LCDs do look different to CRTs, thats all I can think of. And she utterly hates LCD.

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 01:31 PM
I cant understand why is hates LCD, native res is as good as any CRT that i remember and unless she is doing colour reproduction would need anything other than TN panel....is this VGA or DVI connection?

Deimos
16-08-2010, 02:36 PM
If she is using an analog connection (D-SUB instead of DVI) she could be seeing pixel distortion, hitting the "Auto" button may fix it.

I just got my Dad a 24" LCD and when using the analog connection (only connection available on the PC unfortunately) the image gets stretched out beyond the boundaries of the monitor (at native res) I had to increase the refresh rate to 70hz to get it to display correctly, that may also help your friend.

pctek
17-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Makes no difference DVi or D-SUb.
She's sending it up to me, which is the only way I'm going to be able to see.......

linw
17-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Wow, first person I've heard of who prefers a CRT over a LCD!

I guess trying to satisfy a person who hates LCDs is going to be a pretty hard and thankless task.

Good luck.

DeSade
17-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Wow, first person I've heard of who prefers a CRT over a LCD!

I guess trying to satisfy a person who hates LCDs is going to be a pretty hard and thankless task.

Good luck.

+1

I think your dealing with a personal bias rather than a actual problem. That makes it a losing battle.

Snorkbox
17-08-2010, 10:54 AM
I have no idea if this helps but I have an AOC936 in Win7 and native resolution is the same as the friend's. This connected via a VGA port on a crappy nVidia 6600GT.

A screen snip attach I hope. :-)

pctek
17-08-2010, 11:01 AM
Cool pic.