PDA

View Full Version : itunes / restore help needed please

globe
15-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Hi

Recently my external hard drive crashed which (yes I know I shouldnt have) used as my itunes media location folder - reason being I had more music than my poor old pC had spare room.

Anyway the hard drive crashed but I still had all my music on my ipod. SO now I have copied all of the music from the ipod onto a new back up drive (using the method that invloves copying the folders from the ipod system F00, F01, F02 etc) so I now have a folder with all my music with odd names but I understand the tags will still be the same.

So how do I get my itunes/ipod/new music folder location to correspond with one another ? Do I need to reimport all my music into itunes from the new "back up" location or do I just keep that tucked away in the event that I have another crash. The only thing is now that on my itunes all my music has error exclamation marks next to them and I am unable to locate songs on my pc -I can not even manually find them as the names are all screwy.

Any advice (and yes I know alot of people dont like itunes and are going to suggest another program, but itunes works for me, especially when it comes to podcasts) is most welcome, thanks

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 04:00 PM
If you connect the Ipod (if its still got the files on it), you could use Winamp and the ml_ipod plugin. And it'll export the f00 etc files as the original file names to another folder

globe
15-08-2010, 04:04 PM
If you connect the Ipod (if its still got the files on it), you could use Winamp and the ml_ipod plugin. And it'll export the f00 etc files as the original file names to another folder

i'dont know winamp. are you saying use this instread of itunes or just use it to move the info back from my ipod onto my hard drive rather than manually copy the F00... folders ?

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Well you can use Winamp since it supports most Ipods. Only thing it cant do is update the firmware / or restore an Ipod. If you install the plugin, it'll export the f00 files from the Ipod to a folder (and the filenames will be the original names). Then you can readd / resync them back to the Ipod with Itunes. if you want to use Itunes

limepile
15-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Copy the files from the iPod via iDump, its a wonderfull program, its free and heres what the page says..

Here are some key features of "iDump":

Output formatting
This gives you the option to select an output directory and the way the songs will be transferred.
Unattended Transfer
If you have the pleasure of owning one of the larger iPod's then this option is for you, Simply set the options for this feature and it will deal with common errors like what to do if a song already exist on the destination drive etc.
Search
This does what most searches do, it searches!
Playlists
If you use playlists on your iPod then this give you the option to select any of the playlists and display the song within the selected list only.
Export Playlists
This option will export all of your playlists in to the standard .m3u format.

found here..

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=iDump&searchtype=downloads

limepile
15-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Just read somewhere that you install this on your ipod.....wrong !

It's installed on your computer and it detects the iPod just as iTunes does, all the songs are listed, and you select what you want to take off and where to store them. Easy.

For those on a Mac, use Senuti ( thats itunes backwards )...

Need to recover music, playlists, or videos from your iPod or iPhone? Look no further! With Senuti, you can recreate your iTunes music library in just one click.

Want to be more specific? Preview and select only the songs and playlists you want to transfer. Senuti has helped millions around the world recover their music, videos, and playlists since 2004.

Don't take our word for it. Download our free 30 day, 1000 song trial today!

Ha ! Free for 30 days...how many times are you going to use it ?

And as always..back up, backup, backup..

globe
15-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Copy the files from the iPod via iDump, its a wonderfull program, its free and heres what the page says..

Here are some key features of "iDump":

Output formatting
This gives you the option to select an output directory and the way the songs will be transferred.
Unattended Transfer
If you have the pleasure of owning one of the larger iPod's then this option is for you, Simply set the options for this feature and it will deal with common errors like what to do if a song already exist on the destination drive etc.
Search
This does what most searches do, it searches!
Playlists
If you use playlists on your iPod then this give you the option to select any of the playlists and display the song within the selected list only.
Export Playlists
This option will export all of your playlists in to the standard .m3u format.

found here..

http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.html?query=iDump&searchtype=downloads

cheers but am going with the winamp option, currently transferring now.