PDA

View Full Version : Card Readers

Driftwood
15-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Regarding all-in-one card readers. Do you have to pay big dollars to get a good one or do the cheap ones work just as well.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 02:48 PM
If you mean memory card readers, there's nothing wrong with the cheap ones. I'm using an internal Apacer reader. Only cost $25 I think it was. It may not read every card but it supports SDHC (high capacity cards). And has a spare USB port. So depending on what you get (if you want it to read high capacity cards, make sure it supports SDHC). Or it cant / wont read them

The printer here has a card reader too, but I think I'll change it. It uses too much ink

Driftwood
15-08-2010, 03:21 PM
This type of thing.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 03:38 PM
Are you going to get internal or external? Either should work fine

Driftwood
15-08-2010, 04:18 PM
External, then I can use it anywhere.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Good point. Altho dont plug it into a hub. It may not work properly

Nomad
15-08-2010, 04:50 PM
the same really for most people. unless you are a photography enthusiast (bit like a gamer with their video cards :confused: and the like).

some of the very expensive readers can take full advantage of the expensive cards - think Sandisk Extreme Memory Cards equipped with a Extreme Series memory card reader. Or be it Firewire.

I was told that readers minimise wear and tear and battery, but more impt, if your camera runs out of battery you could corrupt and lose your photographs.

Driftwood
15-08-2010, 06:13 PM
I like buying new gadgets but they always seem to have different memory cards.

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 07:09 PM
Something like this will suit I believe:

http://www.ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=8286626

Takes 48 different cards.

Agent_24
15-08-2010, 07:30 PM
I have a rather cheap card reader, but it works well. Uses a chip from Alcor Micro. You can install a driver to get some custom icons but I found the driver would cause BSoD after resuming from hibernation, and it's not needed to use the reader so I got rid of it.

It supports SD\MMC\CF\MD\SM\XD\MS\MSPRO. (Out of those, I've only ever used CF and SD so far..) - not sure about SDHC support.

It's got a USB port at the front as well, which is nice.

I only have two issues.

1) The PCB and enclosure are designed in a very stupid way, where one of the bare metal supports for the PCB is right over the pins for the 'Busy' LED.

Their answer: hot glue.

Because the PCB moves around when you plug things in, eventually the glue wore away, shorted one of the pins to ground and the LED stayed on all the time. While it wasn't a problem electrically, it was clearly a stupid design.

I solved it by replacing the glue with a few layers of electrical insulation tape.

2) The compact flash slot is mounted so far forward that they snap the side guides off. This makes it quite hard to line the CF cards up with the pins so you don't screw something up.

I'm used to it now, but definitely not something most people will want to play with.

Other than that it was very cheap ($10 or so) and has worked well for several years. Even with its design faults it still works well, and is definitely worth it (to me) for that price.

Driftwood
15-08-2010, 08:12 PM
How about this one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=310081700

Or this.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=309906059

Nomad
15-08-2010, 08:39 PM
i guess they are all generally ok, i need to get one but i am into my photography and i have some sandisk extreme and ultra mem cards.

for 2yrs i had the free Dell monitor as my CF reader and that was fine, USB2.0.

but on the other hand, these are cool
http://www.sandisk.com/products/readers-accessories/sandisk-extreme-firewire-reader

one thing some people say about memory card reader is that if you have a good reader, you get to really exploit its speed. you may not be shooting sports all the time but downloading is when it can really kick into overdrive.

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 08:58 PM
A couple of things to think about. If you want to plug this device into other PC's it would want to be USB1.1 and 2 compatible. Not sure about USB3 yet.

It wants to read as many different types of card as possible.