PDA

View Full Version : USB Printer to Wireless ?

B.M.
15-08-2010, 03:38 PM
I got a call from a mate whose wife has bought a new laptop and likes to sit in the lounge and watch TV on the big screen, whilst doodling on the laptop.

However, when she wants to print anything, she has to get up and get the printer, or, take her laptop to the office, so they were wondering how she can work in the lounge and print in the office.

Any suggestions? :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Whatever the printer is connected to has to have wireless as well (or connected to something wireless). Then add the drivers on both / enable file sharing / the printer thats it

B.M.
15-08-2010, 03:47 PM
There is nothing wireless on the Desktop Office computer, everything is hard wired.

The wireless on the laptop connects to a wireless modem which is ethernet connected to the Office Computer.

As you've probably guessed I'm not up with this networking and printer sharing. :D

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 03:57 PM
Hmm never tried to see if it'll work with a wireless router. It might. You could try sharing the printer, then install the drivers for the printer on the laptop.. Then add the printer. If it picks the printer up, add it that should be it

CliveM
15-08-2010, 04:13 PM
It works with a wireless router ok. Follow Speedys instructions and you should have no problems. That is the way my network is set up.

SolMiester
15-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I got a call from a mate whose wife has bought a new laptop and likes to sit in the lounge and watch TV on the big screen, whilst doodling on the laptop.

However, when she wants to print anything, she has to get up and get the printer, or, take her laptop to the office, so they were wondering how she can work in the lounge and print in the office.

Any suggestions? :thanks

I was looking for a wireless adsl router the other day with a print server input, however i dont think they make them....If the printer has a USB connection, for about $75 bucks you can but a USB print server which then connects to the router which the laptop wireless connects to for intwernet access. Then both the laptop and desktop can use the printer..here is one for you.
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=375081

The Error Guy
15-08-2010, 06:23 PM
It does work. I do it with my laptop + desktop. enable file + printer sharing on both machines, open my computer and select 'network' (on the PC that wants to print wirelessly) find the computer with printer attached. double click on it enter your user name/pass and remember credentials. find the printer on the PC, right click it and select connect. usually it auto finds drivers but in some cases you may need to download them separately

B.M.
16-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Thanks guys,

Just a quick query, the Wireless Modem is a Dynalink RTA 1025w, so will that act as a router as well as a modem?

Like I said earlier this is breaking all new ground for me. :D

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 10:02 AM
Looks like its a modem/router

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 10:19 AM
It does work. I do it with my laptop + desktop. enable file + printer sharing on both machines, open my computer and select 'network' (on the PC that wants to print wirelessly) find the computer with printer attached. double click on it enter your user name/pass and remember credentials. find the printer on the PC, right click it and select connect. usually it auto finds drivers but in some cases you may need to download them separately

The only problem with this method is that if the desktop is off, no printing, if using DHCP on the router the desktop will get a different IP address and therefore the laptop will no be able to print as DNS for local networks is usually a hit and miss affair with home routers.

sam m
16-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Asus make an adsl modem/router with a built in usb print server.

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 10:41 AM
Asus make an adsl modem/router with a built in usb print server.

Yeah, nice product, almost the whole shebang, however no ADSL!

B.M.
16-08-2010, 01:50 PM
Iím not having much luck experimenting with my own Laptop and Desktop using wireless Laptop to Modem/Router and Ethernet Desktop to Modem Router and USB Desktop to printer.

Both of these computers run XP SP2 with File and Printer sharing turned on.

However, the mate who started all this, complains that he gets a message on his wifeís laptop advising that networking is only available between two or more Win7 computers? In his case the laptop runs Win7 and his desktop XP Sp3. :confused:

Getting back to mine, do I need to install the printer drivers on the laptop as well as the desktop? Naturally, they are already installed in the Desktop and the Printer is working fine. :thanks

Speedy Gonzales
16-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Install SP3 it'll support wireless better

This

However, the mate who started all this, complains that he gets a message on his wifeís laptop advising that networking is only available between two or more Win7 computers?

Probably applies if you use Homegroup. Thats only for windows 7. And you don't have to use it for networking Windows 7 and previous versions of windows

sam m
16-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Yeah, nice product, almost the whole shebang, however no ADSL!
http://www.asus.co.nz/product.aspx?P_ID=ecjk8UCkALyocP9C&templete=2

This does the whole shebang

John H
16-08-2010, 11:10 PM
I print from my laptop to both my printers wirelessly.

The Laser printer has a cheapo print server installed - it just plugs in where the printer cable normally goes, and is hidden inside the printer housing. I picked it up from DSE. The print server is connected to the router, and the router is connected to the wireless access point. This way I can print to the Laser whether or not the main PC is fired up. The problem with printer sharing is that you can only print if the main PC hosting the printer is running.

The initial set up with the DSE print server isn't easy - in fact it is one of the most infuriatingly obtuse bits of software I have ever used, but once it is set up it works flawlessly.

The other way I can do it is to the HP OfficeJet that has a wireless facility.

BTW, I am still on XP on my laptop and main PC.

SolMiester
17-08-2010, 09:31 AM
http://www.asus.co.nz/product.aspx?P_ID=ecjk8UCkALyocP9C&templete=2

This does the whole shebang
Oh, I didnt see that one (Only saw the AP with print server), thats just what a client of mine needs!, nice find thanks Sam....Will see where i can source it.....

SolMiester
17-08-2010, 09:36 AM
I print from my laptop to both my printers wirelessly.

The Laser printer has a cheapo print server installed - it just plugs in where the printer cable normally goes, and is hidden inside the printer housing. I picked it up from DSE. The print server is connected to the router, and the router is connected to the wireless access point. This way I can print to the Laser whether or not the main PC is fired up. The problem with printer sharing is that you can only print if the main PC hosting the printer is running.

The initial set up with the DSE print server isn't easy - in fact it is one of the most infuriatingly obtuse bits of software I have ever used, but once it is set up it works flawlessly.

The other way I can do it is to the HP OfficeJet that has a wireless facility.

BTW, I am still on XP on my laptop and main PC.

John, this is exactly what I said to them on the 1st page, though no one seems to have picked up on it!

John H
17-08-2010, 10:37 AM
John, this is exactly what I said to them on the 1st page, though no one seems to have picked up on it!

Oh well, a prophet is always scorned in their own land! My post was ignored too!

sam m
17-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Oh, I didnt see that one (Only saw the AP with print server), thats just what a client of mine needs!, nice find thanks Sam....Will see where i can source it.....

That's an older model. I think asus make a newer model that also has a built in print server.

Burnzee
18-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi BM

As you can see from the above discussion, these can be tricky to set up. Not a problem if you are a 'puter freak/geek but if you are only interested in doing the business take a look at PRINTERSHARE (http://printershare.com/).

With this free program you can simply share your printer between laptop and desktop.

Hope this helps.

BURNZEE