PDA

View Full Version : cpu fan starts but nothing else

user123
15-08-2010, 11:50 AM
hi everyone, i cant seem to start my computer. the cpu fan spins but nothing else. i've only plugged in my psu onto my mobo. i was expecting some beeps but nothing happens. i've tried switching to a different psu. only the speakers and power sw are plugged into my mobo. It's a GA-7DXE mobo.:badpc::badpc:
i need to fix this problem very quickly.

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 11:53 AM
Did you plug the ATX 12v (4 pin) adapter in as well? You have to if the PSU and mobo have the connection

user123
15-08-2010, 11:55 AM
the mobo doesnt have a 4-pin connection

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 12:07 PM
Have you got on board graphics or a separate card? You would need to insert a graphic card if you don't have on board otherwise it won't boot.

There are no on board graphics apparently so have you put an AGP or PCI graphics card in? It won't boot unless you do.

user123
15-08-2010, 12:08 PM
i do have a seperate card, but i thought that if u didn't plug it in you would here a long beep-short beep-short beep?

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 12:15 PM
When you say the speakers are plugged in is this the speaker in the case or speakers as plugged into audio out?

user123
15-08-2010, 12:17 PM
When you say the speakers are plugged in is this the speaker in the case or speakers as plugged into audio out?
speaker in the case

feersumendjinn
15-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Chances are that your motherboard has failed, probably through bad capacitors, this is after all a 7 year old mobo, have a look for swelled or leaking caps (check your PSUs as well)

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 12:22 PM
I still think you had best plug in a graphic card as normally the PC will be looking for one of those before it can boot. Either PCI or AGP. You won't be able to check the BIOS until you do anyway.

user123
15-08-2010, 12:30 PM
I still think you had best plug in a graphic card as normally the PC will be looking for one of those before it can boot. Either PCI or AGP. You won't be able to check the BIOS until you do anyway.
i just tried it, it doesnt work, it still says no signal.

user123
15-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Chances are that your motherboard has failed, probably through bad capacitors, this is after all a 7 year old mobo, have a look for swelled or leaking caps (check your PSUs as well)

I don't think there are any bad caps. They are all straight, none of them are leaking.

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Looks like you may have a dead Motherboard or VGA card then since you tried a different PSU already.

user123
15-08-2010, 12:41 PM
Looks like you may have a dead Motherboard or VGA card then since you tried a different PSU already.

could there be any other reason why this is happening? or is it really dead?

Deimos
15-08-2010, 12:45 PM
have you tried resetting the CMOS?

user123
15-08-2010, 12:48 PM
have you tried resetting the CMOS?

how do you do that? do you take the battery out, wait a while, then put it back in?

wainuitech
15-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Steps you need to try - some you already have:

Make sure the PSU is good and working
Make sure the memory is Installed Correctly and is good
Make sure the AGP Graphic Card is a working one
Change the CMOS Battery, reset the CMOS by the jumpers or removing the battery.
Make sure the Jumpers are set to default From the Manual (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/gigabyte.jpg)
Try the Monitor conencted to another PC, just to make sure its working.

If all the parts are good, and still it wont boot, then as mentioned previously, the Motherboard could have died and gone to the great motherboard place in the sky. ;)

Speedy Gonzales
15-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Yup or remove the cmos jumper for about 30 secs, then put it back. Then go back into the BIOS / reconfigure it. Then save the settings

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 12:57 PM
You will have to remove the battery as there is no CMOS jumper on the motherboard that I can see.

user123
15-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Yup or remove the cmos jumper for about 30 secs, then put it back. Then go back into the BIOS / reconfigure it. Then save the settings

when i removed the battery, waited for about 40 seconds, placed it back, nothing happened.

should i buy a new battery? or will it be no use?
i think my mobo might be dead.:crying:crying:crying:crying:crying
its not my PSUs that may be failing, thats for sure. i've tried both of my PSUs on another computer and they work.

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 01:16 PM
I don't think a new battery will help. The battery keeps the CMOS alive to hold the settings and if the battery has failed you would just keep losing settings but it should still attempt to start.

I think it's the motherboard too but can you try the VGA card in another PC?

user123
15-08-2010, 01:22 PM
I don't think a new battery will help. The battery keeps the CMOS alive to hold the settings and if the battery has failed you would just keep losing settings but it should still attempt to start.

I think it's the motherboard too but can you try the VGA card in another PC?

the vga card works perfectly in another computer

feersumendjinn
15-08-2010, 01:29 PM
If you can find another mobo (on Trademe/Ebay perhaps), chances are the rest of the components including CPU are probably ok, if you want to resurrect it, that is :).