PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 Homegroup

The Error Guy
15-08-2010, 09:29 AM
W7 (as im sure you all know) has a handy dandy Homegroup function so after spending most of lat night upgrading my mums vista desktop I thought i'd give it as spin.

It didn't go well. Desktop was fine. I could view and change every little detail in HG options.

my Laptop was a pig and constantly gave errors regarding to "Windows cannot create a homegroup on this machine" (Especially helpful as it seems windows cannot give error codes either) Windows also refuses to let my leave my homegroup with the error windows cannot leave this HG and when I click "view or print HG password" nothing happens. lappy just sits there waiting for me to try again.

I tried deleting the stuff from appdata/peernetworking without success. Not a happy camper:stare::stare:

Cheers for any solutions as to fixing this.

(Btw, this is all done over wireless, and i don't think its a router issue because it refused to work at the boarding house over both Ad-Hoc and a 3COM router):thanks

linw
15-08-2010, 10:13 AM
Can we assume that the laptop OS is W7 as well?

nedkelly
15-08-2010, 10:18 AM
Only 7 uses homegroup so yes we can

wainuitech
15-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Try this -- Open Computer - tools/Folder Options/ View - make sure all hidden folders are showing.

Then navigate to

C:\windows\serviceProfiles\LocalService\AppData\Ro aming\PeerNetworking

Locate and delete "idstore.sst"

Reboot ( not required by wont hurt) try again.

Also - you can check this after deleting -- click start, type in "Services" (without the " ) open it, then locate "PNRP" and manually start it.

wainuitech
15-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Opps wrong action Quoted my own post instead of editing.

wainuitech
15-08-2010, 11:35 AM
OOPS again - Didn't see you had tried deleting stuff from the folder -- Did you delete all its contents - sometimes that works ?

Another thing -- If you already have created a homegroup you dont create another one to join the two or more PC's.

When you open network and sharing can the laptop see the other homegroup already created -- If so you should only have to click Join. If not then there may be a problem with the Connections someplace or the service as previously mentioned is not working.

Homegroup can give a lot of problems, it may be better off using the standard networking, same workgroup, that way other PC's without W7 can also be used.

The Error Guy
15-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Cheers wainui. I deleted the whole peernet contents in desparation at about 1am... failed xD Force started PNRP... nothing.

any other suggestions? (ill keep working on it too with post back of possible success... if any)

The Error Guy
15-08-2010, 06:42 PM
Its being queer, desktop can see my HG but I cant remember the pass. because there is all ready a HG desky refuses to make a new one. I cant view the HG pass on my lappy or change it. The oh so helpful troubleshooter says my firewall could be blocking. turned it off. no success... I'm starting to wounder if this thing actually works or if its a placebo

wainuitech
15-08-2010, 07:14 PM
Its being queer, Loverly just what you need :wub :D

Have you tried this to recover the Password on the Desktop ? Explained here (http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/3848/windows-7-how-to-view-andor-change-your-homegroup-password/)

Personally I changed mine to something I could remember under change password ( that's when I was playing about with HG) -- BUT since I run different versions of OS's I dumped it, and use the Normal / Old style Networking (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/LAN.jpg) -- Works better :thumbs:

The Error Guy
16-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I can't recover the pass. windows refuses to let me do so. See screenshots below with the errors windows is oh so helpfully giving

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2010, 08:55 AM
If you've only just installed Win7, did you do a clean install or an upgrade?

I'd suggest that because it's likely a recent install that you just scrap it and format the whole system again.

Here's something else you can try:
Make a user on both machines and call it "Master" for example. It must be the same on both.
Give Master the exact same passwords on both machines.

Setup a read/write share and give the user "Master" full un-restricted access to it.

See if you can now share files. If you can, you can confidently write it down to Homegroup being a nice idea, but still highly flawed ;)

The Error Guy
16-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Desktop was a nice clean format + install from Vista. laptop has had 7 on it for a while. i last cleaned out and re installed 7 about 2 mths ago. I was wondering is there a service that the HG service requires to run or uses? I might have disabled it and forgotten about it on the laptop. if all else fails ill revert to the good ole networking standards of mapping network drives and wait for windows 8 to do the HG

SolMiester
16-08-2010, 10:51 AM
Error Guy, Im confused, which unit has the issue...and what does this mean
Desktop was a nice clean format + install from Vista
which is it, clean or upgrade?

The Error Guy
16-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Issue is with my laptop. sorry, about confusion with
Desktop was a nice clean format + install from Vista It was a clean install. HDD formatted (Wiping the original OS was vista