PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express (XP) to Outlook 2007 (Windows 7)

Zippity
14-08-2010, 11:38 PM
Today we bought a new notepad with Windows 7 onto which I have installed Office 2007.

SWMBO has Outlook Express on her old laptop (XP) and wishes to have her emails and contacts transferred to the new machine.

For the life of me, I can't figure out how to do this. I have spent the last 4 hours on the internet searching for answers :(

Anyone know how to accomplish this task? :)

Snorkbox
14-08-2010, 11:44 PM
Open Outlook Express > File export. Then transfer the file(s) onto new machine.

Import into Outlook 2007.

or install Office onto her machine and Outlook will import direct from her Express.

wainuitech
15-08-2010, 12:11 AM
As Snorkbox wrote.

Graphical instructions after you have exported the mails from OE Shown Here (https://wiki.brown.edu/confluence/display/CISDOC/Migrating+from+Outlook+Express+to+Microsoft+Outloo k+2007)

Since its W7, it doesn't actually have a email client. What you may also have to do if outlook 2007 doesn't import, ( I'm using 2010 & its different to 2007) is install live mail, then Import the OE into that, then Import into Outlook.heres how (http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/10497-importing-mail-outlook-windows-live-mail.html) Install Live mail - then follow from step 5 - then open outlook and import. You can dump Live mail when finished.

Zippity
15-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Snork - Outlook 2007 does not have an import option from file.

Tech - I will follow your leads.

Thanks Guys.

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 01:35 AM
Snork - Outlook 2007 does not have an import option from file.

Tech - I will follow your leads.

Thanks Guys.

Please try this:-

Open Outlook 2007

Click File > Import and Export

This should open the Import and Export Wizard.

In the list you should see "Import from another program or file"

Unless ( of course ) your Outlook 2007 is different to the one I have been using for some time that is.

If you look at Wainuitech's second link this is shown quite clearly in the fifth picture down.

Zippity
15-08-2010, 02:07 AM
If I transfer the old files onto the new machine, there is no provion in Outlook 2007 to browse (let alone locate) and import the said files :(

The other programme (Outlook Express) is on a different machine.

Time for some shut eye :)

notechyet
15-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Could this (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook-help/import-your-messages-or-account-from-outlook-express-to-outlook-HA010079919.aspx)help?

CYaBro
15-08-2010, 08:11 AM
If you have the office 2007 disc then I've found the easiest thing to do is just install outlook 2007 on the old computer and DON'T activate it.
Then you can import mail and addresses from outlook express then jus copy over the pst file to the new computer and import into outlook.

Snorkbox
15-08-2010, 11:47 AM
If you have the office 2007 disc then I've found the easiest thing to do is just install outlook 2007 on the old computer and DON'T activate it.
Then you can import mail and addresses from outlook express then jus copy over the pst file to the new computer and import into outlook.

That is the option I would actually do as mentioned in post # 2. Probably the easiest and it works.

The link given by notechyet would also work.

Zippity
15-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Am currently installing Outlook 2007 onto the old laptop and will copy files via a memory stick to the new notepad.

The information provided in the Microsoft Knowledge Base DOES NOT work, as mentioned in other postings/forums :(

Thanks anyway ;)

I'll report back in due course.

Zippity
15-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Yee Hah :) :)

That worked and all is well again.

Thanks all.