PDA

View Full Version : What software would I put in a Brand New Computer

Mikee
14-08-2010, 06:18 PM
Hello PressF1,
It's taken awhile but finaly I'm here... And its because of a new computer.

Its interesting reading trying to make sense of all the opinions today on whats the best setup for a good system... but that is the problem I am now faced. I have got myself a core quad and graphics card with 8GB of ram. More important I have an unopened 500GB hard drive and the question, where do I start?

I'd be very keen to hear some wise input with maybe a few reasons why,
Thanks in advanced

kahawai chaser
14-08-2010, 06:57 PM
For software, I assume you are familiar that security protection is important. So antivirus/spyware/firewall/ad blockers/cleaners/system updates, etc are generally essential, as many on this forum will agree.

So maybe start with ccleaner, spybot (search and destroy), and Avast 5. I use different firewalls for trial testing, so can't really recommend one as yet. Currently using a simple one called Private Firewall 7. Their are others/alternatives security software/tools which others here will know more about and will suggest.

8 G's of ram? Man... Is that for intense gaming?

Nomad
14-08-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't really install much now ..

Win updates, Win firewall, a antivirus, that's about it. Then software that you need.

I only get the stuff when I need them. There are some good stuff here.
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/member.php?u=21335

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 07:18 PM
Yup I havent installed a lot

Just ccleaner, Mirc for irc, Auslogics Defrag, since it can defrag more than one hdd at the same time, CDburnerXP for burning, PowerISO for editing ISO's (after I create ISO's to test in XP Mode). MSE for the virus scanner.

Skype for rellies, Teamviewer so I can check other PC's out, when people have probs. Office, FF for the browser. Winzip

I may install Paintshop pro x3, WinDVD, and Videostudio Pro x3 later

Thats about it

Snorkbox
14-08-2010, 07:21 PM
I'd start with an operating system, an Office suite, Photo manipulation, a Browser and Email, a firewall.

Nomad
14-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Well I got Ad Blocker, it's nice, they haven't really bothered me in the past thou :)

I tend to use Win7's free DVD player, CD/DVD burninng software, I just need the basics. WIndows Media might even convert to Mp3, I think it does copy Mp3 to traditional CD tracks thou, at least WinXP did.

Yeah some chatting software, MS Office of course :D Mobile phone software, GPS, bits and pieces like that. My photography. But gone are the days when we had noise reduction software, heck, these days I don't even have a recovery software. Pano's pretty good in Photoshop already, HDR not bad thou I prefer something else. Don't really use lens improvement software ..... I use Adobe Lightroom, much of the time cannot be bothered.