PDA

View Full Version : Information about XP operating system

05-09-2001, 10:26 PM
We are about to buy a new computer and wonder if anyone has any information about the new XP operating system.

We are wondering whether to delay buying a new computer for another month or so until XP is available or whether it's asking for trouble by buying a new system right at the start.

Does anyone have any information on how reliable/stable it is and whether or not it would be a good idea to wait and buy it? We will be buying the computer for home use/recreational use.

Thanks.

Lynda

05-09-2001, 10:47 PM
The hype says it will be stable as its based on Win2000 but time will tell. Just type WinXP into Google & you'll find the microsoft site preaching the word on XP.

05-09-2001, 11:38 PM
I remember someone saying its not a good idea to get an operating system as soon as it comes out - especially if its from microsoft ;)

Theres bound to be early problems, bugs and glitches.

It might be better to stick with win98 or something in the meantime.

06-09-2001, 12:26 AM
It will also depend on the specs of the computer you buy.

If you want it, you will need lots of ram (192MB), and a fast processor ( > 800Mhz ). Other wise you will find it sluggish.

It will be barely useable at their stated minimum requirements.

Not to mention all the privacy issues with it (compulsory registration etc).

Personally I would stick with winME, or even better win2000.

It will be a couple of years before products start to require XP, more if you use win2000.
Maybe by then Linux will be more mainstream so you can avoid it altogether (well thats what i'm hopeing anyway).

06-09-2001, 09:18 AM
Try getting the place your getting your PC from to offer you a free upgrade to XP - Dell already are doing this.

XP is stable and fast. Reliability isn't a huge problem - it's not a substantial from Win2000. Any new PC will run it fine as long as you have 128MB+ of memory.

Support for hardware may be patchy until after it is released for retail in late October.