PDA

View Full Version : Adding a name in my passport

Ninjabear
14-08-2010, 04:17 PM
I want to add a name in front of my existing name in my NZ passport because people can't seem to be able to say my name correct. At the moment it has my chinese name follow by my surname.

I i were to add an english name in front of the existing name of my passport.

Where do I go to do that ?Where do I start?

If anyone knows where to go please let me know

somebody
14-08-2010, 04:32 PM
I think your passport is supposed to contain your full legal name.

MushHead
14-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd suggest you talk to the Passport Office - see here (http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Passports-How-to-Contact-Us?OpenDocument). They would be the only people with authority to let you know how to go about this.

Renmoo
14-08-2010, 05:37 PM
I think your passport is supposed to contain your full legal name.
I second that. Alternatively, you can go to BDM (Birth, Death, & Marriage) register to get your English name be legally registered, then apply to have it be added to your passport.

Cheers :)

P.S. I hope you are not called Ninjabear in real life! :p

Snorkbox
14-08-2010, 05:51 PM
You can change your name by deed poll.

There are conditions that must be met to do this though.

Ninjabear
14-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Ty. I give them a call next week.

angry
15-08-2010, 12:49 PM
You can change your name by deed poll.

There are conditions that must be met to do this though.

you CAN change your name by deed poll but you CAN NOT have a passport in that name.

The only way's you can have a name other than your birth name in/on your passport are:

1 if you marry and take your spouses last name.

2 if you are formally adopted as a juvanile and your name is changed for you at that time.

3 if the authoritys give you another name, witness protection, anti terrosim activitys ect.

:)

PaulD
15-08-2010, 01:26 PM
you CAN change your name by deed poll but you CAN NOT have a passport in that name.

The only way's you can have a name other than your birth name in/on your passport are:

1 if you marry and take your spouses last name.

2 if you are formally adopted as a juvanile and your name is changed for you at that time.

3 if the authoritys give you another name, witness protection, anti terrosim activitys ect.

:)

Rubbish!

"Proof of Name Change Details
You will not need to send your name change documents if you:

* Have changed your name by marriage or civil union in New Zealand; or
* Were born in New Zealand and have changed your name by statutory declaration or deed poll in New Zealand.

You will need to send your name change documents if you:

* Have changed your name by marriage or civil union outside New Zealand;
* Were born in New Zealand and changed your name outside New Zealand; or
* Were born outside New Zealand and changed your name inside or outside New Zealand.

If required, New Zealand birth, marriage and civil union certificates and change of name documents can be obtained from Births, Deaths and Marriages.

For further details on what documents to send please contact us.

If you wish to have a change of name that was executed in the United Kingdom in your New Zealand passport, please see Additional Information When Applying for a New Zealand Passport from the United Kingdom." http://www.dia.govt.nz/diawebsite.nsf/wpg_URL/Services-Passports-How-to-Apply-for-a-New-Zealand-Passport?OpenDocument

mikebartnz
15-08-2010, 02:52 PM
you CAN change your name by deed poll but you CAN NOT have a passport in that name.:)
Yes you can and you must if you have changed your name formally.

angry
15-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Yes you can and you must if you have changed your name formally.

it will come back with an aka in it, passports and ird # are the only things that cross, drivers licences and all internall ids can be re issued and do not cross.

mikebartnz
15-08-2010, 09:41 PM
it will come back with an aka in it, passports and ird # are the only things that cross, drivers licences and all internall ids can be re issued and do not cross.
Have a look at this site. (http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml143.asp)

angry
15-08-2010, 10:07 PM
Have a look at this site. (http://www.howtolaw.co.nz/html/ml143.asp)

yes, and when you use yor ird # both names will come up.

also use by winz to prevent benifit fraud, thats why your supposed to inform everyone.

your new passport will have aka in it.

if they give you a new ird # it will be linked to your old one.

think about student loans ect, change name, student loan or fines gone, i think not, especially as those dont even go when you are bankrupted.

mikebartnz
15-08-2010, 10:17 PM
yes, and when you use yor ird # both names will come up.

also use by winz to prevent benifit fraud, thats why your supposed to inform everyone.

your new passport will have aka in it.

if they give you a new ird # it will be linked to your old one.

think about student loans ect, change name, student loan or fines gone, i think not, especially as those dont even go when you are bankrupted.
When a woman changes her name when married there is no aka on the passport.
You may have aka on your passport if you have informally changed your name rather than formally. There is a difference between the two.

angry
15-08-2010, 11:20 PM
When a woman changes her name when married there is no aka on the passport.
You may have aka on your passport if you have informally changed your name rather than formally. There is a difference between the two.

we are not talking about a woman who marries, or informall name changes, we are talking about deedpoll name changes.

the state makes it very difficult for people to disseapear, internationally, and for tax purposes.

if you change your name by deedpoll all your internall id will be replaced and the only people who can find out who you were are

1 ird because they will cross your ird# if they even let you have a new one.

2 winz because of benifitt fraud traced through your ird # or #'s.

3 the police, if you have a criminall record and reoffend through your fingerprints/dna.

However if you obtain a passport, in your new name, it will be tagged with aka, visibly.

some nations still visibly put the married womans maiden name on the pasport as well, most nations make reference to it in the chip and the magnetic stripe, other reference it in the swipe code.

if you read the swipe code on a passport it contains all of the information written on the passport and then some.

thats before you get into the magnetic strip and the information in the chip.

thats how they tag drug dealers passsports, to alert other nations.

deedpoll changes are an immediate border controll red light.

pctek
16-08-2010, 06:29 AM
I want to add a name in front of my existing name in my NZ passport because people can't seem to be able to say my name correct.
I i were to add an english name in front of the existing name of my passport.

Where do I go to do that ?

Hmm, why not just correct people - sooner or later they'll get it right.

As for names. I changed my surname before I got married (to what it became), loads of people kept telling me I couldn't do that unless I changed it by deed poll, but I had various documents in it - although not a passport.

Eventually husband asked his lawyer and he said it was legal if I was commonly known by that name.

To have it on a passport though I think you would have to do it officially.

johcar
16-08-2010, 09:41 AM
I agree with pctek - it sounds like a lot of grief and expense to go through to fix something that isn't your problem in the first place.

You know who you are, as do your friends and family - customs and immigration officials you probably only meet once. If they can't pronounce your name correctly, so what?

PaulD
16-08-2010, 10:49 AM
we are not talking about a woman who marries, or informall name changes, we are talking about deedpoll name changes.

However if you obtain a passport, in your new name, it will be tagged with aka, visibly.

According to Internal Affairs if you marry you can continue to use your existing name in passports but if you change your name by deedpoll you must apply for a new passport as you are no longer officially known by your previous name. Your new passport will only contain your name not any visible AKA. Their system of course has a record of name changes.
It's been a while since passports had a space for "Maiden Name".

angry
16-08-2010, 01:47 PM
According to Internal Affairs if you marry you can continue to use your existing name in passports but if you change your name by deedpoll you must apply for a new passport as you are no longer officially known by your previous name. Your new passport will only contain your name not any visible AKA. Their system of course has a record of name changes.
It's been a while since passports had a space for "Maiden Name".

"Your new passport will only contain your name not any visible AKA. Their system of course has a record of name changes."

The aka May not be visible to you, but will be visible to all border control officials with readers magnetic or micro, or who know how to read the visble swipe data.

which guarentees you will recieve extra attention at every border control point. which will frequently be a literal pain in the a .

PaulD
16-08-2010, 02:11 PM
Keep changing your story, you'll get it right sooner or later :D

angry
16-08-2010, 02:20 PM
Keep changing your story, you'll get it right sooner or later :D

it will come back with a visible aka in it.

I never said to who or whom the aka would be visible.

so the story has not changed.

do you think for 1 second the new zealand authoritys dont want the australians and the rest of the world to know, that charlie smit (because i cant remember what hes using now and posting it would be wrong) is mark stephens aka the parnell panther a time served multiple rapeist.

so they put a very small piece of information in the mag stripe the chip and the visible swipe data.

this causes the aussie border cop to say "excuse me mr smit have you ever been known by any other name? and do you have any criminal convictions under that name? as you state that under smit you dont have any.

then they deney him entry.

shermo
16-08-2010, 03:03 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visible_spectrum

PaulD
16-08-2010, 03:13 PM
it will come back with a visible aka in it.

I never said to who or whom the aka would be visible.

so the story has not changed.

do you think for 1 second the new zealand authoritys dont want the australians and the rest of the world to know, that charlie smit (because i cant remember what hes using now and posting it would be wrong) is mark stephens aka the parnell panther a time served multiple rapeist.

so they put a very small piece of information in the mag stripe the chip and the visible swipe data.

this causes the aussie border cop to say "excuse me mr smit have you ever been known by any other name? and do you have any criminal convictions under that name? as you state that under smit you dont have any.

then they deney him entry.

Criminal history is one thing, a simple name change is another.

Married women don't get extra attention because they've changed their names and there are many other innocent reasons for a name change.

There's more than one frequent flyer that's changed their long name just to simplify filling in the forms.

angry
16-08-2010, 03:48 PM
Criminal history is one thing, a simple name change is another.

Married women don't get extra attention because they've changed their names and there are many other innocent reasons for a name change.

There's more than one frequent flyer that's changed their long name just to simplify filling in the forms.

married women dont because its normall, but back to topic.

deed poll change = tag in passport.

all frequent fliers get examined and rated by the authoritys they travel through. hot spot liason officers discuss them, and their ratings. which determines how much attention they get, where.

so the time saved in shortening a name for forms will be lost elsewhere. although shortening will attract much less attention than changeing

for a while they thought I was running drugs into japan.
They became quiet friendly and appologetic when they discovered they were wasting their time.

The Kiwi bumholes on the other hand enjoy wasting taxpayers money and travelers time