PDA

View Full Version : I'm new need help

circusboy01
13-08-2010, 07:47 PM
I have pop ups pop downs pop from the sides They are driving me nuts and slowing and stalling my computer.

Here's how ( I THINK) it happened.ZoneAlarm had a deal. If you ordered something off a list they provided.You could get their full version anti virus Cost About $59.00 For &18.00 I choose a subscription to PC world.Soon after I downloaded ZoneAlarm. The pop up ads started. Which is why I think it caused them. I uninstall (Wait a minute I was thinking about something else) It wasn't $18.00 It was free. Anyway I uninstalled it but the ads still kept popping up
I downloaded Norton Internet Security 2010( That's were the $18.00 came in)

Thought it's pop up blocker would solve my problem Not only did it not stop the pop ups But. it Stopped things I wanted To come on screen You can tell by the little click.Holding down the ctrl key doesn't help
Seems like I'm getting more and more pop ups Maybe Norton brought some. But I don't think so

Can anyone help? Maybe a good free pop up blocker Thanks. OOPS Sorry I put this in the wrong chat. Can anybody move itto F1forme thanks

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 08:03 PM
Sounds like spyware or something to me. I would kill Nortons. Its the worse thing anyone could install. Uninstall it

Disable systerm restore. Then get hijackthis http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/ (http://free.antivirus.com/hijackthis/)

Then click on scan the system and save a log. Copy and paste the log here

Paul.Cov
13-08-2010, 08:18 PM
Even the free version of Zone Alarm includes unwanted 3rd party software if you choose to use the express (default) installation.

You need to intall it using the Custom or Advanced option, and then take the tick out of the unwanted extras.

Generally speaking, if you're doing things right, then less is more regarding a secure, spam free system.

You only need ONE firewall, and ONE antivirus monitor. Getting more and more stuff like pop-up blockers ultimately just opens the door for more of the less-than-honest software providers to get their junk on your system.
Nortons for example has been garbage for a decade, and is held in very poor regard in here.

My recommendations:
1) Zone Alarm Free version, via the custom install
2) Avira antivirus (free)
3) Mozilla Firefox (free) for all web browsing
4) Never touch Internet Explorer again, except when doing Windows Updates.
5) Avoid the temptation to invite cr@p onto your system in the guise of 'Spyware Doctor' / 'Spam Stopper' / 'Pop-up Blocker' / 'RAM Booster' / 'Registry Cleaner'.
Whenever a website says(pretends) it has found vulnerabilities on your system stop to question whether this could be a scam BEFORE you install their garbage.
6) Always hesitate before you click on a link - website links and email links. Is it likely from a trusted source? Do you really need to see it?

If you disable Java you will stop much of the pop-up blight. You will also lose the action of some other sites such as online banking unless you re-enable Java and re-load the page.

goodiesguy
13-08-2010, 09:14 PM
avoid zone alarm, it will hang your pc!

johcar
13-08-2010, 10:37 PM

Bulls41t - been using ZA for years, very little in the way of problems - occasional conflicts, very soon resolved. Certainly way better than anything Norton or Mcafee put out.

icow
13-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Bulls41t - been using ZA for years, very little in the way of problems - occasional conflicts, very soon resolved. Certainly way better than anything Norton or Mcafee put out.

+1 :thumbs:

mikebartnz
14-08-2010, 12:39 AM
I have put ZA on numerous PC and never had one hang.

goodiesguy
14-08-2010, 01:42 AM
zone alarm = waiting 2 minutes for you desktop icons to show, then another 5 for your pc to load. this has happend on my main pc and laptop. it has happend to other pc's i've seen.

i used Zone Alarm for years. its now loaded with crap. it was fine when it was just a simple well built firewall a few years ago, but now its s.h.i.t

qazwsxokmijn
14-08-2010, 02:17 AM
zone alarm = waiting 2 minutes for you desktop icons to show, then another 5 for your pc to load. this has happend on my main pc and laptop. it has happend to other pc's i've seen.

i used Zone Alarm for years. its now loaded with crap. it was fine when it was just a simple well built firewall a few years ago, but now its s.h.i.t
Says you.

pctek
14-08-2010, 09:33 AM
zone alarm = waiting 2 minutes for you desktop icons to show, then another 5 for your pc to load.

Funny, I don't get that on my PC and I use ZA.
Maybe it's all the other **** in your startup.

goodiesguy
14-08-2010, 02:54 PM
its not all the other stuff in my start up. when i installed zone alarm it slowed my pc down drasticly. when i uninstalled it, zoooom its been really fast ever since.

the only things that load in my start up are:

Avast! (i used to use MSE but it has too many bugs that need fixing)

uTorrent

Soundman (Realtek Control Panel)

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 02:56 PM
Is the OP going to reply or what?