PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Word 2003 help

dianne pierce
13-08-2010, 07:22 PM
How can I set up addresses that I use all the time so that the addresses come in automatically when the first two letters of the address are typed. I am using a letter template

Snorkbox
13-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Is this a mail merge you are doing?

dianne pierce
13-08-2010, 07:31 PM
sorry don't know the correct terminology for it. Just want to type letters and have an address appear automatically when I type the first two letters of that firm.I am not sendingthe same letter to all firms

Snorkbox
13-08-2010, 07:40 PM
As far as I know you can't do that in Word unless you start with a template that maybe has field codes in it.

It's not like Outlook where Word gets the Email address from the contacts you have.

dianne pierce
13-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Thanks for your help. I know it is possible to do that in Word as it operated like that in a firm where I used to work. It madeit somuch easier than having to type in the same adresses and PO box numbers every time we brought in a letter

Snorkbox
13-08-2010, 08:10 PM
This is why they would have set up a template with field codes in it such as an Access database or Excel spreadsheet. The recipient was probably a filtered list that came from other source data. ie a mail merge.

So your letter template would be getting the address data from another document as it were.

I did not say it could not be done but it would need some setting up and is not natively in Word as such.

Have a look here for ideas on how to do this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318117

dianne pierce
13-08-2010, 08:21 PM
thank you so much for all your help.

Snorkbox
13-08-2010, 08:36 PM
Depending on the number of addresses you want to do this with you may just need to turn on Auto complete in Word 2003. Still requires setting up though.

dianne pierce
14-08-2010, 12:02 AM
Turning on auto complete half worked but I can only complete oneline of the address. Each address has 4 lines which need to be stacked. eg Name of the firm,2nd line requires a name.3rd line needs the PO Box Number and 4th line the city and post code.

Snorkbox
14-08-2010, 12:31 AM
So make a spreadsheet with four columns and use those as field codes in a mail merge.

Or possibly use auto complete to create one line of data with the four fields and then manually split the one line into four.

AvonBill
14-08-2010, 12:32 AM
At work we use Words Autotext capability (not to be confused with AutoCorrect) to do just what you want.
Type the lines you wish to define as an Autotext entry, select them, press ALT+F3 and define your 2 character (or more) Autotext entry.
We have secretaries at work who create hundreds of these.

Snorkbox
14-08-2010, 12:40 AM
At work we use Words Autotext capability (not to be confused with AutoCorrect) to do just what you want.
Type the lines you wish to define as an Autotext entry, select them, press ALT+F3 and define your 2 character (or more) Autotext entry.
We have secretaries at work who create hundreds of these.

That will work. It's been a while since I ran Word 2003. It's called quick parts in 2007 and 2010. IE building blocks. :-)