PDA

View Full Version : File transfer from one computer to another

05-09-2001, 07:37 PM
Is it possible to transfer files from a Win95 computer to a computer running WinME using direct cable connection? WinME doesn't come with DCC. Can I extract the file(s?) required from the Win95 disc and install these on the WinME computer? I presume that only a parallel data cable would be required to link the computers.

05-09-2001, 08:58 PM
I wasn't awear that MS had actually unbundled something for a change :-).

You could try using win95 files, but because it installs stuff into your network control panel, it probably will have problems.

If its a once off, just do it via the internet, preferably with FTP, if they can both connect.

If you want to share regularly, buy a couple of network cards and a cross over cable. The parallel connection is slow.

05-09-2001, 09:55 PM
ME does come with DCC.
Go to windows setup (in add remove programs)double click communications and put a check in the correct box and follow the instructions.
Buy a $20 laplink cable usb or parallel and away you go.
Download one of the small transfer programs off the net if you want it can make the job a wee bit easier.

05-09-2001, 11:33 PM
i downloaded a prog called the fast pc linker3 it is very user friendly and excellent to use. you will need it running on both computers. it is only a trial for 30 mins, which = 60 by using both, but there is a way to beat it if you need more time.
connect both pcs with a 'lap link' cable via the printer ports,