PDA

View Full Version : Things I dislike about driving in Christchurch,

gcarmich
12-08-2010, 08:32 PM
1. Tail gating. (Dangerous Driving)
2. Front Fog lights ($150 fine and can dazzle).
3. Indicating right when going straight on a roundabout (Stupid and confusing to others).
4. Driving on the shoulder (stone flicking).
5. U-Turns. Well they should just be banned, especially on major roads.
6. Stopping at lights half way across the pedestrian part.
7. Left hand turn rule. (What can I say).
8. ......

Renmoo
12-08-2010, 08:37 PM
Boy racers

gcarmich
12-08-2010, 08:40 PM
9. People who indicate to tell us what they are doing not what they are about to do.
10. People who don’t indicate at all.

John H
12-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Not sure why you are suggesting those are characteristics of ChaCha! They do all the same things in Dorkland. The only difference is they do them slower in the car infested swamp called ChCh.

The best drivers are in Wellington (or outside NZ).

gcarmich
12-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Haven't spent much time driving outside Christchurch in the last 5 years. I do have 10 years of experience driving in London though and I think London drivers where more predictable.

Billy T
12-08-2010, 09:28 PM
Front Fog lights ($150 fine and can dazzle).

Can't understand this one, my Mazda 6 has integral fog lights and as all foglights should be, they are aimed lower than normal low beam to reduce glare in fog for the driver, let alone oncoming vehicles.

My LH low beam lamp died a couple of nights ago and it will be a couple of days before Mrs T can pick me up a replacement (I'm not lazy, Mazda spares are just around the corner from her work) and it is a mission to install them, so I won't be doing that until the weekend anyway, but in the meantime I'm using my foglamps to maintain visibility. I've checked the beam pattern against a wall and it is much lower than ordinary low beam.

So, what is the problem? Is it misaligned fog lamps, or is it those Remuera Tractors with bull-bars laden with 'fog' or spot lamps? Sometimes I wish I carried a tail-gunner, or had some James Bond smoke generators and oil sprays!

Hate those dazzling European red rear spotlights (they sure ain't fog lights) to the rear, they are murder when following in traffic.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

gcarmich
12-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Frong fog lights bounce off the road (especially when wet) straight into the face of the on coming driver. From behind they confuse and also stop you seeing anything else behind you.

Drove passed a parked car with its main lights and front fog lights on the other night, couldn't see a bloody thing passed it. Had to slow to about 5 to safely pass it.

Its also against the law when visibility is good and comes with a $150 fine which I think would pay for extra traffic cops if they enforced it.

ubergeek85
12-08-2010, 09:58 PM
It really depends where and when in Christchurch. Anywhere near a school around opening/closing is suicide. Colombo street too sometimes (mainly around St. Asaph street, they move out, then the lights turn yellow or red, and the stay there, blocking turning busses, and the whole intersection, see attached pic, thanks streetview).

Hornby mall Chalmers street entrance by maccas, it's a pile-up waiting to happen.

Haven't really been near the aves to see how this 'no cruising' bylaw is working, but it used to be really really bad.

--Wolf--
12-08-2010, 11:33 PM
The cruising was never really really bad as you say. Not on the aves anyway, they behaved mostly there. But now they're into the suburbs and all over the place.

Anyway...

Old people who drive like old people
Old people who drive like they have a death wish
People who indicate 10 minutes before turning
People who have their wipers going full blast when it's barely spitting
Old people
Turning right onto Cranford St from Innes Rd at 5pm traffic.
Bus lanes
People filming people driving in the bus lanes to collect revenue.
Old people
People who sit at red lights with both hands on the wheel looking straight ahead.
Tail gaters.
Asian drivers (not as bad as old people)
When 5 cyclists pile up next to you at a red light
People who can't merge
Old people
Ricer cars
Those wicked camper vans / hippie vans
People who turn left into a street but don't pull over/in until the last second
Cops (especially muftis) who speed
Old people

All I can think of now, but I could keep going..

As for my fog lights, well they're original JDM ones so because of the way they're angled they are WAY brighter than my high beams so I don't use them. Also yellow.

wmoore
13-08-2010, 06:43 AM
The cruising was never really really bad as you say. Not on the aves anyway, they behaved mostly there. But now they're into the suburbs and all over the place.

Anyway...

Old people
Bus lanes
Old people
People who sit at red lights with both hands on the wheel looking straight ahead.
Tail gaters.
People who can't merge
Old people
Ricer cars
Old people

All I can think of now, but I could keep going..

As for my fog lights, well they're original JDM ones so because of the way they're angled they are WAY brighter than my high beams so I don't use them. Also yellow.

Wolf

Please tell us how old people drive and what age is old ?
And remember Wolf you to will be old one day.
Wolf can you please tell me how to merge correctly please ?:)

wmoore
13-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Frong fog lights bounce off the road (especially when wet) straight into the face of the on coming driver. From behind they confuse and also stop you seeing anything else behind you.

Drove passed a parked car with its main lights and front fog lights on the other night, couldn't see a bloody thing passed it. Had to slow to about 5 to safely pass it.

Its also against the law when visibility is good and comes with a $150 fine which I think would pay for extra traffic cops if they enforced it.

Sometimes you find that it is the normal headlights are the problem and not the fog lights. Headlights on cars are getting brighter and if not aligned correctly can cause glare to other motorists. Fog lights should only be used
in very poor advisability and are designed to light the sides of the road for you.

pctek
13-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Old people
Bus lanes
Old people
Tail gaters.
People who can't merge
Old people
Ricer cars
Old people

Everyone except yourself then.

WalOne
13-08-2010, 07:59 AM
This not specifically targeted at Christchurch:

Weekend drivers;

When the factory / office closes for the night, the workers who vent their frustrations while driving home;

Mothers with tunnel vision racing to pick up their respective little darling(s) when school's out;

Ditto but driving the family "truck" (the roads around Diocesan are blocked with wall to wall "trucks" when school's out);

"Trucks" parked in angle parking slots. If you're next to one and reversing out in a normal sedan or coupe, it's not until most of your own vehicle has reversed out you are able to see the roadway and oncoming traffic;

Drivers who cross all lanes of the motorway in one swift manouvre,

Ditto but only indicating -if at all - just as they reach the exit;

Drivers on 100 kph country roads driving at 50 kph because they have time on their hands to do so, and for whom a 15 km treck into town is the Big Event of the week, so make the Experience last;

Lack of courtesy. Suprisingly, I find Auckland drivers more courteous than drivers in the provincial centres in letting you into a queue. Hamiltonians especially just close ranks.

So there. Rant over for the day ...

:2cents:

wratterus
13-08-2010, 09:01 AM
I quite like driving in Chch tbh, I reckon people are more sensible than in Nelson, and they know how to merge! :lol:

tingle
13-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Not neccessarily only in Chch. -
People who swing out to the right before making a left hand turn.

gcarmich
13-08-2010, 09:08 AM
And those that swing left back into the main carriage when taking a right turn.

prefect
13-08-2010, 09:40 AM
My hates but in West Auckland

Woman drivers in 4WDs especially blonde ones with Remers hair
4WDs outside schools picking and dropping off kids
Asian drivers including my wife
Drivers who slow down too much when turning left off the road
Worst of all drivers who dont acknowledge you after you have let them in
Drivers who speed past school bus when stopped

Drivers I like
Tail gaters I just slam the brakes on in my service truck let them crash into the towbar and step frame (made by a nutter in 5mm section box steel)

Non indicators at roundabouts since they dont indicate the give way to right does not apply. Just drive into them since a nutter has made a crash/nudge bar from 3" galvanized pipe with 3 back braces.

inphinity
13-08-2010, 09:53 AM
My biggest hate about driving in Christchurch? It means I'm in Christchurch.

prefect
13-08-2010, 09:57 AM
Thats fair

--Wolf--
13-08-2010, 10:08 AM
Wolf

Please tell us how old people drive and what age is old ?
And remember Wolf you to will be old one day.
Wolf can you please tell me how to merge correctly please ?:)

Anyone that can't drive.
No I will not be old one day.
Like a zip. I constantly see people way past where the merging was supposed to end side by side another car. And people that don't go back to the middle of their lane and hang out on one side until either a cyclist or oncoming traffic forces them back into the lane where they are supposed to be.

PaulD
13-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Can't understand this one, my Mazda 6 has integral fog lights and as all foglights should be, they are aimed lower than normal low beam to reduce glare in fog for the driver, let alone oncoming vehicles.

So, what is the problem? Is it misaligned fog lamps, or is it those Remuera Tractors with bull-bars laden with 'fog' or spot lamps? Sometimes I wish I carried a tail-gunner, or had some James Bond smoke generators and oil sprays!

Hate those dazzling European red rear spotlights (they sure ain't fog lights) to the rear, they are murder when following in traffic.

I sometimes wonder whether the fog lights are on because the driver switched them on and knows they are on or whether they don't even know there's a switch. If the WOF guys turned fog lights off some of them might not ever come back on :clap

The red rear spots are to stop you being rear-ended in fog. They should be a ticket magnet for following Police cars, no dangerous U turn required.

gcarmich
13-08-2010, 10:27 AM
I've never heard of anyone even having a chat with a police officer for inappropriate use of either front or rear fog lights.

I agree some are probably not aware they are on but a lot are, they turn on side lights (instead of full beam) and front fogs on because they think it looks good.

gcarmich
13-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Add to the list those that can't park between the lines or park so far away from the curb they need to call a taxi to get to it.

Trev
13-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Cars with these new LED headlights.
:)

Snorkbox
13-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Looks like a number of posters in this thread have their "road rage" switch turned on by default. :rolleyes:

wmoore
13-08-2010, 11:27 AM
Anyone that can't drive.
No I will not be old one day.
Like a zip. I constantly see people way past where the merging was supposed to end side by side another car. And people that don't go back to the middle of their lane and hang out on one side until either a cyclist or oncoming traffic forces them back into the lane where they are supposed to be.

'Anyone that can't drive', So wolf tell me how I should drive then.
Yes you will be old one day and for you I suggest you catch the bus.
What do I do if the other cars don't want to be part of the zip ?

wratterus
13-08-2010, 11:33 AM
Cars with these new LED headlights.
:)

Think you mean HID (http://hidledlights.info/images/hid_projector_kit.jpg). A lot of new cars are using these type of Projector HID lights. AFAIK the only production cars in NZ with LED lights are the new Audi R8 V10, the new Audi A8, the Lexus LS 600h and the new Cadillac Escalade.

They are becoming more popular, eg the new Prius also has them, but I think you'd be able to count the number of cars on NZ roads with LED headlights on both hands at the moment.

--Wolf--
13-08-2010, 11:45 AM
What do I do if the other cars don't want to be part of the zip ?

Vent in this thread

And fyi it's in the road code how you should merge (im not making it up). Let one in then go, like a zip.

wratterus
13-08-2010, 11:54 AM
Vent in this thread

And fyi it's in the road code how you should merge (im not making it up). Let one in then go, like a zip.

x2

gcarmich
13-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Vent in this thread

Not sure how many people have actually seen the road code recently. I would suspect most people driving now wouldn't pass a theory test.

prefect
13-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Driving in NZ pretty safe except in South Auckland and up North, try driving in India and Egypt and see who is the most law worthy of road rules.

mikebartnz
13-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Everyone except yourself then.
:clap

mikebartnz
13-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Looks like a number of posters in this thread have their "road rage" switch turned on by default. :rolleyes:
They probably get it confused with the fog lamps.:devil

roddy_boy
13-08-2010, 01:48 PM
I hate those ****s in their swanky cars and suits that drive through the on ramp lights behind another car without waiting their turn.

FoxyMX
13-08-2010, 02:57 PM
Where's tweak'e? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tail gaters are annoying, as are people who drive at 55-60km/h in an 80km/h zone or 70km/h when the limit is 100km/h.

And I really like sitting waiting forever at an intersection only to have the vehicle I'm waiting for turn into the street or road I am in without indicating or indicating just as they are about to make the turn. :mad:

PaulD
13-08-2010, 03:05 PM
And I really like sitting waiting forever at an intersection only to have the vehicle I'm waiting for turn into the street or road I am in without indicating or indicating just as they are about to make the turn. :mad:

Believe me, that far better than having the vehicle on your right indicating a left turn suddenly decide to go straight through just as you pull out.

FoxyMX
13-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Believe me, that far better than having the vehicle on your right indicating a left turn suddenly decide to go straight through just as you pull out.

Yes, that is true. Thankfully I have only had it happen to me once. (Touchwood!!)

gcarmich
13-08-2010, 03:30 PM
OK, heres another. The trailer guy who doesn't bother to secure the load properly and leaves have garden cuttings all over the road from his house to the dump.

The Hitcher
13-08-2010, 04:34 PM
I dislike sitting in a queue at traffic lights, watching the lights go green and waiting for every person in said queue to release their brake/clutch one after the other. Don't they know it's a race?

I also dislike people who don't look for the green arrow and just sit there until you honk your horn.

People who ignore the roundabout indication law or who indicate right when they are going straight ahead really annoy me.

I actually hate people who don't understand that driving a car deserves their utmost attention and it's blindingly obvious that most adult Kiwi's should have to sit a practical driving test. A great many would fail I would think.
I suspect I could fail the theory test. I haven't looked at a road code in a decade or two.

It was good to get that off my chest!

tweak'e
14-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Where's tweak'e? :lol: :lol: :lol:

don't get me started we will be here all night !

I constantly see people way past where the merging was supposed to end side by side another car. And people that don't go back to the middle of their lane and hang out on one side until either a cyclist or oncoming traffic forces them back into the lane where they are supposed to be.
especially when its at the end of a passing lane and they squeeze pass one more car.......head on into oncoming traffic at 100kmh+.

end of the day its its just people who do not care. whatever they are doing is far more important than everyone else, they don't care who the stomp on or even kill.

hueybot3000
15-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Personally find Chch alright to drive in, compared to some smaller towns/cities in nz. Majority are polite and will let you in when they can.

The boy racer title on chch isn't really that fair, sure there's a lot of ricer cars around but they don't do anything wrong 99% of the time. In fact id say there's alot more 40y/o's hooning around in there commodores and falcons than skylines etc. The new law on cruising was a waste of time and money. Sure the Aves would get pretty clogged up but everyone would usually behave. And no one really lives around there anyway so seems silly pushin them out to the suburbs. Time will tell.

IMO chch is no worse than the rest of nz, I think bus drivers are about as bad as it gets here, pushing bastards. Old people can be frustrating but second gear and a quick boot puts them in the rearview mirror so doesn't worry me.

Once the new motorway thing is built it'l make chch alot nicer to drive in, too many trucks atm