PDA

View Full Version : Win95 software

Nomad
12-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Just out of interest, is there a way to play these? They are games.
I know there is DOS Box but that wouldn't work right ....

Also, failing to get rid of software on the auction site, other than a landfill what options do I have? eDay does not accept software.

Thanks.

Agent_24
12-08-2010, 02:37 PM
You could run something like VirtualPC or VirtualBox, install Windows 95 or 98 etc onto that and then run the software inside that.

Of course the emulated hardware is pretty useless so some games probably won't work either.

What are the games? I might be interested in them...

FoxyMX
12-08-2010, 03:52 PM
After having a bit of a cupboard clean out I've been wondering the same thing. Have got a pile of children's educational games and games that came with the first and second computer which ran Win 95 and Win 98.

It seems a shame to biff them out when the children's games could still be useful if they were able to be run on a machine. I haven't tried installing them on Win XP.

Anyone have any ideas what to do with them? We are talking about games like Math Blaster, Spell It 3, Kid Pix 2, SimCity 2000, Creative Writer and Carmen San Diego.

I was particularly gutted that an arty kind of program, Flying Colors, wouldn't work, nor was updated once Win 95 came out, as it is a fantastic program. :(

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 04:26 PM
I paid 500 pounds sterling for Britannica CD when in London....only works with Win 95\98!...what a waste!

DeSade
12-08-2010, 04:36 PM
That is a exhorbitant amount of cash.....

Nomad
12-08-2010, 05:31 PM
I paid 500 pounds sterling for Britannica CD when in London....only works with Win 95\98!...what a waste!

Should of got the books :D
MS Encarta :p

The stuff are:
NFS 1, 2, 3. 2 and 3 works in Win2k at least. 1 needs DOS BOX or bootdisk.
Commados 1 (win95)
Mad Dog 2 (dunno)
Heroes of Might (dunno)
CIA by Oceans (google, not well known). (dunno)
Syndicate Plus (dunno yet)
GTA (original) play on DOS. (TBA).
Carmen San Diego too ... :D, Sim Earth, 2x Powerhits with a range of games (DOS).

Also have a PCI Leadktek standard definition tv tuner to be sold. Remote not opened. Win7 works.

Keeping Win31, 95, 2k, Office 2k, MS Works something Ver 3.0/2.0 :confused: (for Win31) and MS Works 95 with Bookshelf.

FoxyMX
13-08-2010, 03:18 PM
It seems a shame to biff them out when the children's games could still be useful if they were able to be run on a machine. I haven't tried installing them on Win XP.

So what am I going to do with them. :help:

SolMiester
13-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Should of got the books :D

The books were another 700 or so...there were a lot (BM) of them, beautiful but we thought we were being clever getting the CD...it was a sucker sale and I feel for it!

KarameaDave
13-08-2010, 04:49 PM
So what am I going to do with them. :help:Install them in a virtual machine or get an old machine to play them on.

Greven
13-08-2010, 05:21 PM
Try them on XP - you never know your luck. They will probably work in vmware free if you can find a windows 95 install CD & product key

mikebartnz
13-08-2010, 09:34 PM
Of course the emulated hardware is pretty useless so some games probably won't work either.
I would disagree with that as Win2k runs faster under VirtualBox under PCLinuxOS than it does natively.

Agent_24
13-08-2010, 09:47 PM
But that is just Windows

Try running a 3D game inside your emulated Win2K machine and then tell me how it runs...

mikebartnz
13-08-2010, 11:29 PM
But that is just Windows

Try running a 3D game inside your emulated Win2K machine and then tell me how it runs...
One it is not emulated when it runs in VB and two he is talking about Win95 games not the latest and greatest.
Try running VB before making silly comments.

goodiesguy
14-08-2010, 12:21 AM
3D games existed in 1995

Agent_24
14-08-2010, 02:32 AM
One it is not emulated when it runs in VB and two he is talking about Win95 games not the latest and greatest.
Try running VB before making silly comments.

Well I'm fairly sure that the video card it uses is not physical - at least not directly. The one that Win2K sees is an emulated one, surely...

But, I will admit I have not tried playing games on an OS running inside VirtualBox but I have tried playing (fairly old ones) in Microsoft Virtual PC and the result was pathetic.

But I will test it out and find out for myself.

I have just installed VirtualBox (under Ubuntu) and am currently installing Windows 2000 SP4, and I shall see if some games can run well or not.

(And yes, I have enabled 3D acceleration in the VirtualBox options)

mikebartnz
14-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Well I'm fairly sure that the video card it uses is not physical - at least not directly. The one that Win2K sees is an emulated one, surely...
While I will concede that but as Windows or what ever need a driver for the graphics anyway is it really any different.
In your previous post it sounded like you were saying the software was emulated too.

FoxyMX
14-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Install them in a virtual machine or get an old machine to play them on.

I don't need them anymore myself as my children have grown up. I was hoping to pass them on to someone else who could use them but the average PC user wouldn't have an old PC to run them or know how to install in a virtual machine.

Agent_24
14-08-2010, 04:48 PM
If you or Nomad are just going to chuck them out, I'll take them...

While I will concede that but as Windows or what ever need a driver for the graphics anyway is it really any different.
In your previous post it sounded like you were saying the software was emulated too.

Well I have given it a test and I come to the conclusion that it's just as bad as virtual PC. If you don't believe me, download the demo version of Carmageddon (1997) and run it on your Win2K in VirtualBox. I tried it, and it was terribly laggy

bob_doe_nz
14-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Can I have Sim City 2000 Pedro ?;)

SolMiester
15-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Can I have Sim City 2000 Pedro ?;)

Wouldnt mind that myself, the 1st game I had!

Agent_24
15-08-2010, 01:07 PM
If they still sell it, buy it, it would be very cheap

If they don't sell it anymore, download it, they won't be making any money anyway!

mzee
15-08-2010, 04:57 PM
This is a non issue!
Use VMWare with W98 to run Windows games.
Use DOS Box for the Dos games.
Go to the Flee Market and buy an old W95-98 computer for $80 and use that.

Before you do that, try them on XP.
I used to run Dos programs on XP when it first came out, but after SP2 it wouldn't do it any more.