PDA

View Full Version : Dell Optiplex SX270

aidanmaz
12-08-2010, 12:44 PM
Managed to pull this out of the garage and though i would put it to use. Appears the hard drive has failed, so, not wanting to buy anything else as i cant afford at the moment i was looking at a guide to put XP onto a USB hard drive, which i have an enclosure for, and a million drives. Problem is, i dont understand what to do, the guide is here (http://www.ngine.de/index.jsp?pageid=4176) and its talking about alot of complicated things. Is there a simple way to acheive what i want? Linux works, but i would prefer Windows if I can.

Deimos
12-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Since you have "a million drives" why not just replace the internal hard drive with a spare you have and forgo the USB enclosure?

Agent_24
12-08-2010, 02:35 PM
I agree. Why not just swap the drives around?

aidanmaz
12-08-2010, 04:21 PM
because, the SX270 use an 2.5" IDE laptop drive. I only have SATA drives. And instead of spending 80 bucks to get an IDE drive I thought i would use what I had

Agent_24
12-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Fair enough

I don't see what is so hard about that website you linked to though. It looks very well laid out and easy to follow.

Just go through the steps slowly and carefully and it should work just fine

aidanmaz
13-08-2010, 02:29 PM
when i comes to unpacking the IN_ files....i cannot find the MS cab SDK for XP, or am i missing something?

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 02:34 PM
? You usually extract (use the expand command) for IN_ files in a command prompt (if you do it manually). WHAT exactly do you want to extract?

aidanmaz
13-08-2010, 02:47 PM
"Use the Cab SDK (from the command line) for extracting the contents of the .IN_ files. Each of them contains exactly one .inf file. If you are unsure how to use the Cab SDK, here is an example command line: "cabarc x USBSTOR.IN_" . You should end up with three new files in the folder,"

Taken from the website i mentioned in my first post. Im going about a LONG and COMPLEX way of getting XP onto this computer

Agent_24
13-08-2010, 03:03 PM
You have to copy the files it says in step 4

* TXTSETUP.SIF
* DOSNET.INF
* USB.IN_
* USBPORT.IN_
* USBSTOR.IN_

Copy those files from the ISO image of your XP CD to a folder somewhere, doesn't matter where, you could put them on your desktop, wherever.

Then open the command line, and change to the directory where those files are you just copied.

Then run the command cabarc x "filename".IN_ 3 times, each replacing "filename" with the name of the file you wish to extract.

OR, I think you could use the the expand command http://www.computerhope.com/expandhl.htm

aidanmaz
13-08-2010, 03:55 PM
I used the extract to unpack the IN_ files. the cabarc doesnt exist in my system so i couldnt use it. ive done the said modifications, how do i go back the other way and repack them as IN_ files? sorry im not a command line person.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 04:28 PM
With the makecab command which is part of windows. ie: makecab file.inf file.IN_

CD to the folder the inf file is in first

aidanmaz
13-08-2010, 04:34 PM
thanks. final question...... is there a free ISO editor? so i dont have to make a bootable XP disc, means i can just edit the ISO i made earlier of the original CD

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 04:42 PM
No, you may have to use something like 7zip or something to extract it then use something like imgburn / cdburnerxp to create the ISO again

KarameaDave
13-08-2010, 04:45 PM
As far as I know the only free ones in Windows are trials and limited as to size you can edit. I use Puppy Linux for editing .iso images it has Isomaster which is free in Linux
(But not in Windows) http://www.littlesvr.ca/isomaster/

aidanmaz
13-08-2010, 04:47 PM
i used winRAR to extract the files, can i just use imgburn to remake a iso and it will boot?

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Where did the files you're cabbing come from? A windows cd or what?

aidanmaz
14-08-2010, 12:34 PM
Original XP disc. Sorry for the delays, no computer whatsoever atm. managed to get the cd burnt, still doesnt work, tells me setup cant access the disk fast enough (WTF) So im kinda sitting here using an openSUSE 11.3 live disc. Which doesnt seem to boot from the external 500GB hdd, so im at a loss. i have many IDE hdds to use, which go into a USB 5 3/4" encolusre, none of them seem to boot after installing. I have a lexar 3.7gb ($gb) usb stick and a 160gb HP Pocket media Drive. I need something working so i can save emails and documents. is there anything i can do? a live cd is quite slow and doesnt retain data

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Not much you can do then buy a cd/dvd-rom. Or you'll be there forever. Connect the hdd to a desktop. And get the docs whatever off it that way

aidanmaz
14-08-2010, 12:57 PM
sweet as, just interesting in this day and age of technology i cant do what i want to achieve

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Blame MS. It's their sw, that wont work on the USB flash drive

Has this thing got a cd or dvd anyway?? Probably would have been better using Nlite or something, then slipstreaming the updates. At least it can create ISO's. And at least the cd will be bootable. Or if its got a cd/dvd, whats the point in extracting then packing them again? Or are you packing files on this hdd then copying them to a flash drive?? If you are, this probably wont work

aidanmaz
14-08-2010, 01:16 PM
If you go back to my original post, i found this guide online, on how to install XP on a external USB. this Dell has a CDROM drive, just the 2.5" IDE hard drive is unreadable. So i thought instead of going out and spending money i dont really have, i could make use of ther bits lying around. I have 2.5" hdds just not any IDE ones. So using this guide in the first link i was adding reg keys and changing the way the windows text setup loads things, so it loads the mass storage controllers with the normal drivers, so i can force xp on to the external. Its not the best way, and very time consuming, but currently as it stands all my other technology seems to have mysteriously died. I mean im halfway there with the guide, i can get XP setup to acknowledge theres a usb drive to install onto, just gotta get the next part.

Agent_24
14-08-2010, 01:30 PM
I'm sure it's possible.. you'll just have to keep going...

Maybe you can find a video tutorial somewhere if you're really stuck.

Either way, if it's still too confusing, try installing Linux to your USB Hard drive instead. I'm pretty sure I've actually done that before so it should work fine.

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 01:42 PM
Would this be something similar??

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/783621/pocket_windows_install_windows_xp_to_an_usb_flash_ drive/

This uses poweriso tho. You may have to disable flashblock if you use FF

Agent_24
14-08-2010, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure that would work...

aidanmaz
14-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm sure it's possible.. you'll just have to keep going...

Maybe you can find a video tutorial somewhere if you're really stuck.

Either way, if it's still too confusing, try installing Linux to your USB Hard drive instead. I'm pretty sure I've actually done that before so it should work fine.

Just did that now, running openSUSE 11.3. Reason i didnt just do this in the first place, is because Im a Wndows person, not that im hellbent on having it, its just easier and all my devices worked with it. I basically need to sync my ipod (itunes) if theres a linux alt, then im okay other wise i might have to VM XP inside linux

Agent_24
14-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Apparently Ubuntu handles iPods automatically (but I don't have one so I've never tried)

But honestly, you might be better off (even if using Windows) to just replace the iPod firmware with Rockbox...

angry
14-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Micro$oft do not want you to put their os on a usb drive.

because you can then start moving it between machines and they dont want that.

It can be done ( I did it with 2k and had it working on severall machines at once) but it is a long and involved process

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 03:28 PM
Well 2K is probably different. Since, you don't have to activate it either

You could put it on any computer, all it needs is a valid key

angry
14-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Well 2K is probably different. Since, you don't have to activate it either

You could put it on any computer, all it needs is a valid key

the differences that matter between nt5 and nt6 is the activation and a language change, both minor.

you put/install the os on the usb drive, Easy, and get it to boot, not so easy, but the same deal for both.

Micro$oft have put several hoops in the way to prevent this happening if you googler hard enough youll find it's all out there. thats how i did it.

I just never bothered to roam nt6 like i did nt5 after i got it (an activated nt6) to boot from a usb drive on three different model machines.

:)