PDA

View Full Version : The main diff re Aple

Cicero
12-08-2010, 09:51 AM
I am told that lots of graphics user prefer Macs,because they have superior graphics,is this so?
?
The question is,do they have some advantages.?

inphinity
12-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Personally I have never found any advantage to using a Mac, but some people prefer the style / interface etc. That's more a personal preference, than any real advantage, though.

Snorkbox
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
A lot of Graphic designers learnt on Macs at school hence a more widespread use in commerce.

I don't believe Macs have better graphic cards per se though.

pctek
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Not superior graphics, more that it was (maybe is) the platform for graphics design software.

Nomad
12-08-2010, 10:18 AM
maybe the mac os is color aware than windows? they have colorsync ...

the screen i heard is pretty good, some say it is a bit glossy but then again you could buy mac / pc monitors in the pricetags of $6k and up ....

a no. of photo friends have gone to mac's incl some IT individuals. they may not be techs. maybe more IT business analysts or programmers ...

mikebartnz
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I think it has more to do with the software side of things.

wratterus
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Yep the hardware on the new eMacs is no different from the average mid to high end PC. Intel processor, Nvidia graphics...

Cicero
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM

That was the point,do they have better graphics software?

utopian201
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
maybe the mac os is color aware than windows? they have colorsync ...

the screen i heard is pretty good, some say it is a bit glossy but then again you could buy mac / pc monitors in the pricetags of $6k and up ....

a no. of photo friends have gone to mac's incl some IT individuals. they may not be techs. maybe more IT business analysts or programmers ...

Apple cinema displays are high quality, but you can get HP and Dell monitors which use exactly the same panel by LG for less than half price (HP) to a third off (Dell).

Windows 7 is colour aware and can have colour profiles loaded so you can calibrate your monitor with your printer output.

I wouldn't say Macs are more for IT businesses or programmers; I am a developer and I have a PC at home. At my work, we use linux and windows.

I thought Photoshop on mac would be the same as on windows? I know mac has Final Cut which is quite powerful, I don't know of any PC equivalent...

Safari
12-08-2010, 10:55 AM
Yep the hardware on the new eMacs is no different from the average mid to high end PC. Intel processor, Nvidia graphics...

You mean iMac I presume, they don't make eMacs anymore.
The new iMacs have ATI Radeon

wratterus
12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
You mean iMac I presume, they don't make eMacs anymore.
The new iMacs have ATI Radeon

Yeah iMac rather. True, well either way, mainstream graphics chip not some special exclusive thing.

Agent_24
12-08-2010, 02:28 PM
The "Apple is better for art\design\video etc" is just a myth, most likely the result of some very good advertising strategy.

Perhaps back in 1995 the Mac had better software than the IBM PC, I don't really know.

But the Windows PC now certainly has more than enough software and power to do whatever you need.

Using Apple now, you will get the same results, but probably end up paying more.

A lot of Graphic designers learnt on Macs at school hence a more widespread use in commerce.

I don't believe Macs have better graphic cards per se though.

I wonder which company donated or gave discounts to the schools to buy the Macs?

mikebartnz
12-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I wonder which company donated or gave discounts to the schools to buy the Macs?
You mean to tell me that MS don't do that?;)

KarameaDave
12-08-2010, 03:20 PM
I know mac has Final Cut which is quite powerful, I don't know of any PC equivalent...
Adobe Premiere Pro is available in both PC and Mac flavours.
While it is not identical to Final Cut it is at least as powerful.

Erayd
12-08-2010, 04:53 PM
It's a historic thing, I think. If I'm remembering correctly, it was mainly due to the availability of design software, notably things like PageMaker (since replaced by Adobe InDesign), which were only available for Mac OS.

These days, any application of real note in this category is also available on Windows, so it no longer really matters which system is used - but as macs are now entrenched in the industry, they're still extremely popular in that field.

Cicero
12-08-2010, 05:05 PM
It's a historic thing, I think. If I'm remembering correctly, it was mainly due to the availability of design software, notably things like PageMaker (since replaced by Adobe InDesign), which were only available for Mac OS.

These days, any application of real note in this category is also available on Windows, so it no longer really matters which system is used - but as macs are now entrenched in the industry, they're still extremely popular in that field.

Friend who is a bit of a snob,seems to get a superior feeling,and wouldn't know diff at all.

Nomad
12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
What I know is that some photog friends have it and some of the well known authors in photog books. Dunno the real reason thou.

I have a fully calibrated system here, Win7, well, the images still don't look the same in Windows or Firefox when compared to say Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop.

Metla
12-08-2010, 06:17 PM
The answer is no.

And you have to spend considerably more on a Mac to get capabilities equal to a PC.

This is (though the logic escapes me) why some people feel they are superiour for buying one,Perhaps its that they have so much money to spend they get a kick out of an ignorant purchase.

It seems to work for Hi-Fi stores.....

utopian201
13-08-2010, 10:07 AM
What I know is that some photog friends have it and some of the well known authors in photog books. Dunno the real reason thou.

I have a fully calibrated system here, Win7, well, the images still don't look the same in Windows or Firefox when compared to say Adobe Lightroom or Adobe Photoshop.

Firefox needs to have colour profiles enabled in about:config;
gfx.color_management.enabled and gfx.color_management.display_profile

There is a small performance hit though on my comp (8 year old athlon 1.6ghz)

Nomad
13-08-2010, 10:21 AM
Firefox needs to have colour profiles enabled in about:config;
gfx.color_management.enabled and gfx.color_management.display_profile

There is a small performance hit though on my comp (8 year old athlon 1.6ghz)

i have the csm plugin with FF .....
http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-9311-9478

Well with Windows itself, it's like you need to open up your image software just to preview the colors probably :lol: so much for the ICC loaded in display properties. like if you emailed a jpeg color managed file to your photo friends. ie., open file with outlook. and it's like you cannot even preview the colors properly when going onto a photography webpage.

you have FF or Win and Adobe side by side - they aren't the same.

utopian201
13-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I haven't looked at this link, but ff3 matches photoshop:
http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/29/633/

I think only windows 7 is colour aware (previous windows aren't), and only ff3 is colour managed unlike earlier versions...

Nomad
13-08-2010, 02:04 PM
I haven't looked at this link, but ff3 matches photoshop:
http://www.dria.org/wordpress/archives/2008/04/29/633/

I think only windows 7 is colour aware (previous windows aren't), and only ff3 is colour managed unlike earlier versions...

i can redo the plugin with FF but they are not the same - just put them side/side just then .. with the plugin they are closer but not the same.

Nomad
13-08-2010, 05:57 PM
i have a friend who has switched to mac. he is in the science lab for work and he uses unix (mac os) loaded into mac to do remote work when connected to the lab when he is at home.

he says with a mac there is less dependencies.
it has less software he says but it does his work for him.

icow
13-08-2010, 08:43 PM
Depends what software your using really some software e.g Adobe is just a direct clone from windows + extra examples normally. I find the UI in some programs nicer but that is just personal preference. The only design software (large corporate companies like adobe) that is Mac only is the stuff made by Apple. Macs currently don't have a large enough market share for companies like Adobe to make mac specific apps.

So the answer is Yes and No.

mikebartnz
13-08-2010, 09:25 PM
Depends what software your using really some software e.g Adobe is just a direct clone from windows + extra examples normally. I find the UI in some programs nicer but that is just personal preference. The only design software (large corporate companies like adobe) that is Mac only is the stuff made by Apple. Macs currently don't have a large enough market share for companies like Adobe to make mac specific apps.

So the answer is Yes and No.
If you actually do some home work you will find that after Postscript Adobe produced software for the Mac. It was only after acquiring Macromedia that they really started producing for Windows.

icow
13-08-2010, 09:54 PM
If you actually do some home work you will find that after Postscript Adobe produced software for the Mac. It was only after acquiring Macromedia that they really started producing for Windows.

True, you learn something everyday...

george12
14-08-2010, 12:29 AM
These days it's really just personal preference.

There are no technical hardware advantages, and no longer any real software advantages as others have said.

Macs have a user interface which many find more intuitive and just "better". Others, including myself, can't stand it. But generally, you find that people who are used to PCs and PCs only hate using Macs, and vice versa. This makes it very hard to say which is actually better (in regards to interface), if such a thing can be determined objectively at all.

Probably, if someone did a study on it they may find out that the type of people that tend to be graphics designers simply tend to like Macs more. I wouldn't be surprised.

Cicero
14-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Certainly seems difficult to get a real objective conclusion.

I note the master himself has been unable to clarify to any extent,I am talking Safari.

Safari
14-08-2010, 09:01 AM
Have a read here Cic
It is pretty much what has been stated here already.
http://graphicdesign.about.com/od/computersandhardware/a/mac_vs_pc.htm

limepile
15-08-2010, 09:05 PM
"Apple has clearly focused their operating system on ease of use, introducing new features with each release that improve the user experience "

Have to say ease of use was the reason I switched.

My wife, mind you, thinks the same of her Asus running Win7, so it's really just a personal preference IMO.

Chilling_Silence
16-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Interesting, as having multiple windows seems quite retarded. Say you run VLC on the second window (Out to a TV or something), you've then got to move your mouse all the way over to the first monitor in order to bring up the "File" menu. Things like that seem counter intuitive?

That said, by and large I quite like Mac OSX, and I must admit that my Macbook is the nicest piece of hardware I've ever seen in a laptop. Far from perfect, but certainly an improvement for the better part over Windows.

That said, you're relatively in the same boat these days when it comes to Linux Distro's, so each to their own. It's well worth giving them a try, to say the least :)

Thebananamonkey
16-08-2010, 01:17 PM
I've always thought that graphic designers tend to like products that have been well designed... they're also typically well paid, so can afford it.

Find me a Windows laptop that looks half as good as any of the aluminium macs, either the laptops, iMacs or Mac Pro's. There just aren't any.

I completely disagree with the pricing of Macs, the belief in some superiority or the whole-sale buying into Mac being more "creative" somehow. I own a PC because I can swap any parts in whenever I want to/can afford to for half the price of a similar Apple. Also, even with Steam for OSX, there aren't many good gaming options for Mac.

They do look fantastic though...

utopian201
16-08-2010, 02:16 PM
I've always thought that graphic designers tend to like products that have been well designed... they're also typically well paid, so can afford it.

Find me a Windows laptop that looks half as good as any of the aluminium macs, either the laptops, iMacs or Mac Pro's. There just aren't any.

I completely disagree with the pricing of Macs, the belief in some superiority or the whole-sale buying into Mac being more "creative" somehow. I own a PC because I can swap any parts in whenever I want to/can afford to for half the price of a similar Apple. Also, even with Steam for OSX, there aren't many good gaming options for Mac.

They do look fantastic though...

HP have the Envy line and Dell have some nice looking ones too. Can't remember the names, but it was in their business line.

Thebananamonkey
16-08-2010, 06:22 PM
HP have the Envy line and Dell have some nice looking ones too. Can't remember the names, but it was in their business line.

They're OK... they still look a little cheap though. Those squiggly lines need to go.

They're kind of like the best Japanese or American cars. They're powerful, cheap(ish) and look great standing alone or by other cars in commuter traffic. They look absolutely vulgar next to an Aston or Porsche.

Graphic designers want a computer that won't clash with their Le Corbusier and Eames designer furniture.

Apples are popular because they look nice and physically they feel solid. They're form over function.

Snorkbox
16-08-2010, 06:55 PM
So if I were to buy a can of baked beans, peel the label and apply red "go faster" stripes will that turn the contents into fillet steak or will it make me fart longer or louder?

Or neither?

icow
16-08-2010, 06:55 PM
"Apple has clearly focused their operating system on ease of use, introducing new features with each release that improve the user experience "

Have to say ease of use was the reason I switched.

My wife, mind you, thinks the same of her Asus running Win7, so it's really just a personal preference IMO.

If your not using a Mac for the nice UI and ease of use why are you using a Mac?

BTW Whats windows come back to a fully loaded mac pro (desktop)?

pcuser42
16-08-2010, 07:13 PM

The custom-built machine :D

bob_doe_nz
16-08-2010, 07:28 PM
So if I were to buy a can of baked beans, peel the label and apply red "go faster" stripes will that turn the contents into fillet steak or will it make me fart longer or louder?

Or neither?
Call it iFart and see what happens. :D

Snorkbox
16-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Call it iFart and see what happens. :D

I just know what would happen. I'd have a queue of willing buyers up my drive waiting for one so iThink I'll give that iDea a miss if you don't mind. :-)

GameJunkie
16-08-2010, 10:20 PM

a fully loaded/better loaded windows pc that costs less than half the price.

icow
17-08-2010, 07:05 AM
a fully loaded/better loaded windows pc that costs less than half the price.

Is there a company that makes one of these?

pcuser42
17-08-2010, 07:33 AM
Is there a company that makes one of these?

Not A company ;)

icow
17-08-2010, 08:08 AM
Back on subject:

I am told that lots of graphics user prefer Macs,because they have superior graphics,is this so?
?
The question is,do they have some advantages.?

If your after speed advantages you might want to look at this (http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3/in_pictures_the_most_notable_notebooks_of_2007.htm l) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdr5lXa_pPI).

Cicero
17-08-2010, 08:15 AM
Back on subject:

If your after speed advantages you might want to look at this (http://www.pcworld.com/article/136649-3/in_pictures_the_most_notable_notebooks_of_2007.htm l) and this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdr5lXa_pPI).

What we are after is a objective analysis,which to some extent I think we have achieved.

Snorkbox
20-08-2010, 11:18 AM
An update on my can of baked beans post. The iFart has apparently been done. Has some person been taking my comments seriously?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/203658/app_store_director_sells_his_own_fart_apps.html

Got to LOL though.

gary67
20-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Simply put for me it's the cost if I could get a mac for what I can build a windows PC I would think about having a mac, and if I could put whatever I want on to or into it apart from what Mr Jobs thinks I should have (I use a lot of open source software) I would think about it. But since he can't or won't let me nor will he lower the price I will not get one.

Cicero
20-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Simply put for me it's the cost if I could get a mac for what I can build a windows PC I would think about having a mac, and if I could put whatever I want on to or into it apart from what Mr Jobs thinks I should have (I use a lot of open source software) I would think about it. But since he can't or won't let me nor will he lower the price I will not get one.

Or put another way.......

Too expensive and too restricting.

utopian201
20-08-2010, 05:44 PM

But that is precisely whey macs just 'work' - because a mac is a mac is a mac; they all have the same hardware specification (save for different cpu/graphics and ram and size of hdd). They aren't like computers where each one can have a different sound chip (by different manufacturers) where the drivers conflict because the network card uses the same irq but the drivers aren't written properly which causes problems etc etc.

If you think about the almost infinite different hardware configurations that windows runs largely flawlessly on, its a wonder it works at all...

Microsoft actually do make a computer that just works and is locked down like a mac, its called an xbox.

Agent_24
20-08-2010, 05:45 PM
Ubuntu is good if you don't need to run any Windows software that can't run in Wine.

The hardware will be cheaper than Apple, Ubuntu is free and easy to use.

If you think about the almost infinite different hardware configurations that windows runs largely flawlessly on, its a wonder it works at all..

I think about that sometimes too.
For all the different hardware and software configurations that Windows (and Linux for that matter) has to cope with, they both manage it pretty damn well actually.

Usually the problems come from the drivers being useless, rather than Windows itself.

gary67
20-08-2010, 06:48 PM
where the drivers conflict because the network card uses the same irq but the drivers aren't written properly which causes problems etc etc.

And when was the last time that happened Win98 or maybe win2000 I doubt since

Paul.Cov
20-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Perhaps the perceived difference is psychologically based.

People more interested in graphics (ie images and appearances) may also be more concerned with their own image. That in turn may mean they are seduced by the fancier styling of modern Apple products. In the absence of the styling being a factor, perhaps the higher price they pay for Apple gear also matters to these folks who are so image conscious.

Paul.Cov
20-08-2010, 06:59 PM
Hmm, so given my above post, what does that say about me? A Win98 user who is happy with old second-hand hardware?

Slob?
Tight slob?

Agent_24
20-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Perhaps the perceived difference is psychologically based.

People more interested in graphics (ie images and appearances) may also be more concerned with their own image. That in turn may mean they are seduced by the fancier styling of modern Apple products. In the absence of the styling being a factor, perhaps the higher price they pay for Apple gear also matters to these folks who are so image conscious.

I think that may be the exact reason why a lot of people do buy Apple products.

Hmm, so given my above post, what does that say about me? A Win98 user who is happy with old second-hand hardware?

Slob?
Tight slob?

And I still love XP, because it doesn't piss me off with stupid "user friendly" GUI retardation like Vista\7