PDA

View Full Version : No display on monitor after POST screen

Programmar
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
So basically, i turned off my computer in order to install a new gfx card. Upon installation, i noticed that i turned my computer off during a windows update, so that has corrupted the system file classpnp.sys. I have figured out how to resolve this issue, but i am unable to because whenever i try and boot anything, from Ubuntu to the windows repair tool to the Windows 7 CD i have. It will display BIOS and the POST screen, even the menu when you press F8. I cannot boot in safe mode due to classpnp.sys being corrupt, and whenever i choose start windows normally the OS gets stuck at the "Starting windows" splash. I am quite stumped as to why this is happening, i have tried taking out my gfx card (nVidia 8600GT pci-e) and switching back to onboard graphics. I have also played around with BIOS settings but no avail.

Hopefully you can shed some light on this, thanks, Sam.

inphinity
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
So, you can't even boot off a CD?

Programmar
12-08-2010, 10:07 AM
So, you can't even boot off a CD?

I can boot, but whenever it gets past, for example, the screen on the windows repair tool that says "loading files", the monitor just goes blank. I also cannot start ubuntu from another HDD, but i can from my old PC. I know it boots, but i cant see anything after the initialization of the CD image has gone by. If it helps, i can try to make a video on this matter.

pctek
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
So do a repair install off the Windows CD.

mikebartnz
12-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Sounds like you haven't set in the bios to boot from the cd first.

Programmar
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
Sounds like you haven't set in the bios to boot from the cd first.

I have, i have also used the boot menu. Like i said, i CAN boot from a CD but i cant see anything once the CD has been initialized. Take for example, i boot a CD with GRUB and ubuntu, it would load GRUB and i would enter the command to start ubuntu. It would say "Ubuntu is starting..." and then hang there. This shows that the CD boots, but fails somewhere along the way of graphical representation on the VDU.

So do a repair install off the Windows CD.
I said i cannot do that as i cant see anything after the initialization. I have made this short video to demonstrate what happens when i try to run windows normally and when i try to use the repair tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GFNXhy1ly0

DeSade
12-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Try something like Puppy Linux, its fully on the disc so may bypass your issue.

Programmar
12-08-2010, 10:42 AM
Try something like Puppy Linux, its fully on the disc so may bypass your issue.

Nope. I have tried using my ubuntu live CD aswell as my ubuntu HDD. It works fine on my older PC but not new one, GRUB gets stuck at "Starting Ubuntu". Similar to the windows problem there, although i know what is causing that.

KarameaDave
12-08-2010, 10:47 AM
Have you tried Memtest on the live CD to see if it is a memory problem?

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
So basically, i turned off my computer in order to install a new gfx card. Upon installation, i noticed that i turned my computer off during a windows update, so that has corrupted the system file classpnp.sys. .

You turned the PC off during an update?...That means you held the power button yes?...sounds like you zapped something!

Programmar
12-08-2010, 10:59 AM
You turned the PC off during an update?...That means you held the power button yes?...sounds like you zapped something!

Perhaps i did, but like i said, everything boots and i see the post screen, bios settings and windows menu fine. I dont see why the video would just "switch off" when i try and load the repair tool. Usually if i turn off my PC by holding down the power button, nothing happens. It cant be a windows issue, as the same thing happens with Ubuntu.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM
If the same thing happens with Ubuntu, then that suggests it is a hardware issue and not corrupted windows!...
Holding the power switch for 5 seconds turns the pc off. It does sound to me that you spiked the board when turning it off via the power switch and not letting windows finish its update and turn the system off.
If you can still get to the BIOS, I would try loading default options, even flashing the BIOS.

Programmar
12-08-2010, 11:18 AM
If the same thing happens with Ubuntu, then that suggests it is a hardware issue and not corrupted windows!...
Holding the power switch for 5 seconds turns the pc off. It does sound to me that you spiked the board when turning it off via the power switch and not letting windows finish its update and turn the system off.
If you can still get to the BIOS, I would try loading default options, even flashing the BIOS.

Tried loading default options and clearing CMOS. I have no idea how to flash my BIOS, my mobo supports "instant flash" but searches on my HDD's to find a flash file or w.e

Im usually very tech savvy being a programmer and all, but i have never flashed BIOS in my life. If you could explain a bit more id be very greatful.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Tried loading default options and clearing CMOS. I have no idea how to flash my BIOS, my mobo supports "instant flash" but searches on my HDD's to find a flash file or w.e

Im usually very tech savvy being a programmer and all, but i have never flashed BIOS in my life. If you could explain a bit more id be very greatful.

Ok, did you post the main board manufacturer?, if not do so and we can have a look...do you have a floppy drive on the faulty pc?, if not, we will have to get an ISO to write to cd..

inphinity
12-08-2010, 12:03 PM
Does your BIOS give options for which display device to initialise first? Almost seems like the issue is occuring when an OS gets to the point where it is trying to load display drivers and/or increase the resolution.

If you can force it to try using PCI-E display before onboard, and use the new graphics card, see if that helps.

Programmar
12-08-2010, 02:48 PM
Ok, did you post the main board manufacturer?, if not do so and we can have a look...do you have a floppy drive on the faulty pc?, if not, we will have to get an ISO to write to cd..

I do not have a floppy. The board is an Asrock G31M-GS R.20 (read from box). I would very much appreciate it if you could find me an ISO image, that'd be very helpful.

Does your BIOS give options for which display device to initialise first? Almost seems like the issue is occuring when an OS gets to the point where it is trying to load display drivers and/or increase the resolution.

If you can force it to try using PCI-E display before onboard, and use the new graphics card, see if that helps.
Thanks for the suggestion, i have tried this. However, i do not see why windows recovert will be trying to change my reso or drivers.

wainuitech
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Just finishing up a Customers XP PC that had the exact same problem.

Would show the BIOS fine, would show the windows boot screen then ZIP - Nothing. Same for booting from Ubuntu or Windows CD.

Their problem was a faulty Drive with dead sectors.

Try this - Disconnect the HDD - boot from the Ubuntu CD, if it is a HDD problem then ubuntu will carry on loading from the CD.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 04:20 PM
I do not have a floppy. The board is an Asrock G31M-GS R.20 (read from box). I would very much appreciate it if you could find me an ISO image, that'd be very helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion, i have tried this. However, i do not see why windows recovert will be trying to change my reso or drivers.

Here is the BIOS page for your board,
http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=G31M-GS%20R2.0&o=BIOS
However, one is to be used from DOS floppy boot, the other from within windows!
Try what WT said 1st.....

Programmar
13-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Here is the BIOS page for your board,
http://www.asrock.com/MB/download.asp?Model=G31M-GS%20R2.0&o=BIOS
However, one is to be used from DOS floppy boot, the other from within windows!
Try what WT said 1st.....

Thankyou, i shall download a DOS boot image also. I do believe the computer works with DOS-like environments. I dont think my HDD is damaged, as i have tried three with different OS's and get the same result. One of the drives i havent booted in a while, although it works on my other machine.

Programmar
13-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Update: I have just flashed my BIOS using my mobo's instant flash method and a usb stick. However i still cannot see the windows repair utility. Even with the HDDs and DVD writers unplugged, i cant see it. Any help?

Programmar
13-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Update again since you cant edit:
I try to run the repair tool from a USB flash drive, but all i get is a blinking cursor and screen once it has booted. Any help on that also?

B.M.
13-08-2010, 08:07 AM
Do you have, or have access to one of those Debug Cards also known as POST Cards that you plug into a spare PCI slot and it displays a whole lot of numbers depicting where the Computer is at in the POST?

When it stops you look up a chart that comes with it and the number tells you where youíve stopped.

Iíve only used one on a couple of occasions and each time she was a Motherboard replacement. :groan:

Programmar
13-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Do you have, or have access to one of those Debug Cards also known as POST Cards that you plug into a spare PCI slot and it displays a whole lot of numbers depicting where the Computer is at in the POST?

When it stops you look up a chart that comes with it and the number tells you where youíve stopped.

Iíve only used one on a couple of occasions and each time she was a Motherboard replacement. :groan:

My PC doesnt stop at POST, it doesnt even stop at the windows boot screen where it asks for things like safe mode or system restore. I was just thinking that the repair disks are broken/corrupted, as they dont even work on this laptop i am on now. When i choose to start windows normally i see the graphical representation of the "Starting windows" splash. I know it is graphical because usually an animation would take place and the fonts are not of the system fonts, IE they dont look like the BIOS/DOS font. Perhaps my problem lies within the corrupted file and deleting it, i am trying to get DOS on my usb flash drive and ill post the results. I can test to see if software works on this laptop, if so, but not on my desktop i can identify the problem further.

Thankyou for your help anyway B.M, im trying to avoid getting my PC serviced as i know they charge extortionate prices.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 08:38 AM
Is it 32 or 64 bit windows 7?? What version are you using now ?? Posting replies with?? Are you in NZ, or somewhere else?

wainuitech
13-08-2010, 08:39 AM
im trying to avoid getting my PC serviced as i know they charge extortionate prices. Being in the business we hear that all the time - and the prices are not actually high compared to some other trades.

Cowboys or people with little knowledge think they know what they are doing and usually end up making things worse.

Having a PC in front of you ( being a tech myself) is a LOT easier to fault find than on here as you can actually see whats gong on.

Try going into the BIOS and see if you have the option to turn off the onboard graphics and first Graphics is the PCI-E card.

You may have spiked the board as SolMiester suggested in post #12.

To Quote:
If the same thing happens with Ubuntu, then that suggests it is a hardware issue and not corrupted windows!... Esp if it still wont boot from a live CD with No Hard Drive attached. Could also be a Fault in the power Supply.

SolMiester
13-08-2010, 09:18 AM
I think you have probably got to the point where the only way to diagnose is with known good spare parts mate...We really have covered most options...WT suggestion that the PSU is faulty actually sounds a good one and a lot easier to resolve and prove.....That would be my next step personally and failing that, it will be the board as I suggested, or maybe the CPU, though doubtful!

Programmar
13-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I have been able to boot in to Herin's Boot CD via my USB flash drive, i can access the DOs prompts on there but im still figuring this software out. I have taken out my GFX card since last night, and i am using the on board graphics card. My thinking is that i can delete the corrupted system files classpnp.sys via DOS and then try and boot into safe mode. If that doesnt work, i guess ill have to go and get it serviced.

My windows is 64-bit and i am posting replies using a laptop i have lying around the house. I dont see how my PSU can be faulty, it has worked without fail ever since i got the PC a few months ago. It isnt an old PC, i think my live cd might be damaged so i will try and find another or burn another and try and boot from that. Thanks for the suggestions.

SolMiester
13-08-2010, 10:36 AM
I have been able to boot in to Herin's Boot CD via my USB flash drive, i can access the DOs prompts on there but im still figuring this software out. I have taken out my GFX card since last night, and i am using the on board graphics card. My thinking is that i can delete the corrupted system files classpnp.sys via DOS and then try and boot into safe mode. If that doesnt work, i guess ill have to go and get it serviced.

My windows is 64-bit and i am posting replies using a laptop i have lying around the house. I dont see how my PSU can be faulty, it has worked without fail ever since i got the PC a few months ago. It isnt an old PC, i think my live cd might be damaged so i will try and find another or burn another and try and boot from that. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh, didnt realise we were talking a new pc!....so are you able to boot to live CD to a GUI, or just CL?

Programmar
13-08-2010, 10:39 AM
Oh, didnt realise we were talking a new pc!....so are you able to boot to live CD to a GUI, or just CL?

CL, it said starting ubuntu then stopped. Well, in thats what my ubuntu HDD did anyway. The live CD wouldnt load at all which makes me think that that is damaged. I did try and boot damn small linux from my flash drive and that let me into the splash, where it says "Press enter to boot" but went blank shortly after i pressed enter.

It seems to be with anything graphical, so i know it isnt my HDD's.

Oh just so you know, i have booted into FreeDOS and i am in it now. Im trying to access my C: drive, but i dont think you can access HDDs from a live cd/flash drive.

Speedy Gonzales
13-08-2010, 10:50 AM
I would say its infected with something like Alureon, which can infect classpnp.sys and atapi.sys. Have you got another desktop??

Nomad
13-08-2010, 10:55 AM
what i do personally is pull the hard drive out to another computer copy your impt stuff then use a recovery cd and nuke and replace. or use linux if you prefer that. use a working cd or a new one.

then maybe we can say it's hardware. warranty? back to shop.

SolMiester
13-08-2010, 10:55 AM
CL, it said starting ubuntu then stopped. Well, in thats what my ubuntu HDD did anyway. The live CD wouldnt load at all which makes me think that that is damaged. I did try and boot damn small linux from my flash drive and that let me into the splash, where it says "Press enter to boot" but went blank shortly after i pressed enter.

It seems to be with anything graphical, so i know it isnt my HDD's.

Oh just so you know, i have booted into FreeDOS and i am in it now. Im trying to access my C: drive, but i dont think you can access HDDs from a live cd/flash drive.

Sorry bud, but everything keeps coming back to a damaged main board or crippled PSU....perhaps the CPU, however TBH, I have yet to diagnose a faulty CPU....We have flashed the BIOS (did you load defaults after this process?), the system boots as far as loading a GUI, be it on either HDD, ubuntu or windows, you could only zap one o/s not 2 unless you damaged the HDD....
I think you need to cut another live CD, and test on the pc you are currently using to see if good, if this still doesnt work.......

wainuitech
13-08-2010, 12:13 PM
99% its a hardware problem.

As others mentioned -- if the HDD is disconnected then a Live CD should boot fine, no virus or corrupted system files to stop it.

I dont see how my PSU can be faulty, it has worked without fail ever since i got the PC a few months ago That means nothing !! :groan:

All it takes is one power surge and it can be damaged.

I've seen people blow up PC's within an hour of receiving them new, simply by shorting a component or power surges.

A GOOD service person would test all the hardware and make sure its working as it should -- thats why you pay the $$.

It could be a fault on the board, Faulty PSU, a faulty Cable/SATA header, the PCI-E slot may have been damaged when you changed the card, something moved and is shorting on the case, the list goes on ------

Programmar
13-08-2010, 12:34 PM
I would say its infected with something like Alureon, which can infect classpnp.sys and atapi.sys. Have you got another desktop??

I highly doubt its a virus if i cant boot into GUI with the HDD out. Ill run some more tests tomorrow, if it doesnt work i guess ill have to get it serviced. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Programmar
13-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Would any of you guys suggest purchasing a new motherboard? I found one for about £50 english pound on ebay, probably cheaper than getting it serviced. Ideas?

wainuitech
13-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Would any of you guys suggest purchasing a new motherboard? I found one for about £50 english pound on ebay, probably cheaper than getting it serviced. Ideas? NO -- not until its actually 100% sure it is the Motherboard. If you went and purchased a new Board and still the problem exits then its a waste of money.

It may pay to take it someone who knows what to do and ask them to have look and see whats actually wrong -- Then replace what ever is broken.

The place you brought it from should be able to tell you as long as its not a name brand PC. Since its newish, a warranty "may" cover it, depending on whats wrong.

Programmar
13-08-2010, 01:33 PM
NO -- not until its actually 100% sure it is the Motherboard. If you went and purchased a new Board and still the problem exits then its a waste of money.

It may pay to take it someone who knows what to do and ask them to have look and see whats actually wrong -- Then replace what ever is broken.

The place you brought it from should be able to tell you as long as its not a name brand PC. Since its newish, a warranty "may" cover it, depending on whats wrong.

Well i know its not the HDD, windows recovery runs fine on this laptop yet not on my desktop. I will run some tests on memory tomorrow, i am unsure how to test my CPU or PSU. I think i have an old PSU laying around what i can try it with, CPU im clueless.

SolMiester
13-08-2010, 02:52 PM
What make is the pc, do you have a model or main board details....? Are you in England? As suggested, it the pc is recently new, surely you have a warranty

Programmar
13-08-2010, 03:30 PM
What make is the pc, do you have a model or main board details....? Are you in England? As suggested, it the pc is recently new, surely you have a warranty

The PC doesnt have a model, it is a custom created one ordered from eBay. I think i have warranty however i have lost the contact details to the company i bought it from. I am from England, however i came to this forum because i heard it was one of the best support forums (which i agree with so far ;)) and the timezone suits my lifestyle.

Here are some specs i copied from a site which sells my motherboard:

Product description ASRock G31M-GS R2.0 - motherboard - micro ATX - iG31
Product type Motherboard
Form factor Micro ATX
Dimensions (wxdxh) 24.4 cm x 18.3 cm
Chipset type Intel G31 Express / Intel ICH7
Multi-core support Dual-Core / Quad-core
Max bus speed 1333 MHz
Processor 0 ( 1 ) - LGA775 Socket
Compatible processors Pentium, Celeron, Core 2 Duo, Core 2 Extreme, Core 2 Quad
64-bit processors compatibility Built-in
Ram 0 MB (installed) / 8 GB (max)
Supported ram technology DDR2 SDRAM
Supported ram integrity check Non-ECC
Storage controller ATA-100, Serial ATA-300
Usb ports configuration 8 x USB
Storage ports configuration 1 x ATA, 4 x SATA
Graphics controller Intel GMA 3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
Audio output Sound card - 5.1 channel surround
Networking Network adapter - Realtek RTL8111DL - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet, Gigabit Ethernet

PC specs from memory:
500GB HDD
2GB DDR3 RAM
2.2GHz dual core processor
DVD drive

These are basic from memory, cant get a full spec because i cant run much from my machine. I dont mind paying a little, but ive spent a lot on a GFX card and dont want to spend a lot of money which might happen if i get it serviced. Like somebody said, not everyone knows what they are doing and can ruin it even more. Id happily buy a new mobo if that if the problem. I know how to replace them.

Nomad
13-08-2010, 03:39 PM
basically if you wanna troubleshoot yourself, you really need parts yourself. point a) what happens if you buy part (1) and it doesn't fix it and you have to buy part (2) .. and then and then ...

regardless what i do now is that i think you have a laptop, get a USB thing that can read your PC's hard drive so you copy your "precious" data first.

do you have any shops with a good return policy? you can use that if you like and then at the end buy and keep the part that was required.

i am assuming you can do the technical stuff yourself. if not maybe send it to a pc tech.

doesn't cost you anything. after data is backed up. take your cd rom and reinstall windows and if it does not work .. go thru and eliminate which hardware that may be causing the issue(s).

i try the ram next. then a video card?

PS have you tried plugging your monitor into your laptop? just double checking.... got a bit loss with the prev posts ...

Nomad
13-08-2010, 03:50 PM
Well i know its not the HDD, windows recovery runs fine on this laptop yet not on my desktop. I will run some tests on memory tomorrow, i am unsure how to test my CPU or PSU. I think i have an old PSU laying around what i can try it with, CPU im clueless.

what do you mean.

the PC is the issue right?
how have you tested the HDD? thought the PC had no display. only now and then?
ditto how can you test the ram? does the PC work now and then?

SolMiester
13-08-2010, 04:02 PM
. I am from England, however i came to this forum because i heard it was one of the best support forums (which i agree with so far ;)) and the timezone suits my lifestyle.

I thought about being a programmer, when I was over in London as it happens, however somebody told me I would lose my weekends in work.....but I didnt know you lose your nights as well....?.LOL

My money is on a zapped main board, as I havent heard of a PSU booting only powering up to a CL environment with onboard graphic, discrete GPU maybe, but then usually, the PC would shutdown ungracefully.

Nomad
13-08-2010, 04:07 PM
me doubt it is the psu too. unless you are suddenly overloading with devices which shouldn't be the case.

wainuitech
13-08-2010, 04:12 PM
Fixing it your self is possible, but it can also be costly as Nomad pointed out - Hence my suggestion to take it to someone to at least see where the problem is.

What I would do in my workshop if presented with this --

1st check that no pins are bent or damaged in the PCI-E slot (since a card was altered.

Next disconnect the PSU, attach a known good one and see what happens.

Failing that -- Strip out the components - lay on the bench, the motherboard with CPU/RAM/ HDD/ Optical drive and Power supply, attach to a good monitor, short out the header pins to boot it, see if it boots up.

IF it does, then you know that something is shorting on the case and other components.

IF it doesn't, then disassemble the parts on the bench, and on another workshop PC, plug in/ attach one component at a time, seeing if it works, sooner or later you will hit one (or more) components that wont work (maybe).

IF every thing works and all that's left is the Motherboard,Then from spare parts (a good motherboard), reassemble it again on the bench, it should boot up.

Assuming it does, reassemble it in the case with a new replacement part(s) and all should be fine. May need a reinstall, all depends.

I'll service it for free + the cost of parts -- Only cost ya a return airfare to England and back :D

( Great Tui Ad)

as I havent heard of a PSU booting only powering up to a CL environment with onboard graphic, I have, Last week, XP PC, basic unit, sometimes would boot ok other times gets to different stages of booting then stops -- changed the PSU and been good ever since. Original PSU was 2 1/2 years old.

But does sound/ give indications of a zapped board. Although it may not be as well :)

Programmar
14-08-2010, 03:19 AM
Fixing it your self is possible, but it can also be costly as Nomad pointed out - Hence my suggestion to take it to someone to at least see where the problem is.

What I would do in my workshop if presented with this --

1st check that no pins are bent or damaged in the PCI-E slot (since a card was altered.

Next disconnect the PSU, attach a known good one and see what happens.

Failing that -- Strip out the components - lay on the bench, the motherboard with CPU/RAM/ HDD/ Optical drive and Power supply, attach to a good monitor, short out the header pins to boot it, see if it boots up.

IF it does, then you know that something is shorting on the case and other components.

IF it doesn't, then disassemble the parts on the bench, and on another workshop PC, plug in/ attach one component at a time, seeing if it works, sooner or later you will hit one (or more) components that wont work (maybe).

IF every thing works and all that's left is the Motherboard,Then from spare parts (a good motherboard), reassemble it again on the bench, it should boot up.

Assuming it does, reassemble it in the case with a new replacement part(s) and all should be fine. May need a reinstall, all depends.

I'll service it for free + the cost of parts -- Only cost ya a return airfare to England and back :D

( Great Tui Ad)

I have, Last week, XP PC, basic unit, sometimes would boot ok other times gets to different stages of booting then stops -- changed the PSU and been good ever since. Original PSU was 2 1/2 years old.

But does sound/ give indications of a zapped board. Although it may not be as well :)

Thanks for the reply, i'll give all of that a test. I was planning on taking it all apart today, since i cant really do much with my DOS USB drive. The post was very informative and instructional, so i guess ill try this out first as it sounds mkost likely to help.

basically if you wanna troubleshoot yourself, you really need parts yourself. point a) what happens if you buy part (1) and it doesn't fix it and you have to buy part (2) .. and then and then ...

regardless what i do now is that i think you have a laptop, get a USB thing that can read your PC's hard drive so you copy your "precious" data first.

do you have any shops with a good return policy? you can use that if you like and then at the end buy and keep the part that was required.

i am assuming you can do the technical stuff yourself. if not maybe send it to a pc tech.

doesn't cost you anything. after data is backed up. take your cd rom and reinstall windows and if it does not work .. go thru and eliminate which hardware that may be causing the issue(s).

i try the ram next. then a video card?

PS have you tried plugging your monitor into your laptop? just double checking.... got a bit loss with the prev posts ...

Yes, my monitor works fine on my other PC and on this laptop. Hell, i even plugged my sound, keyboard and mouse into it as i hate working on a laptop. Thanks for the reply everyone, ill give them all a go one by one and post the status.

Programmar
14-08-2010, 03:58 AM
Why cant i edit my posts? D:

Anyway, checked the PSU, switched it around and nothing has changed. HDDs disconnected, nothing in besides optical drive, RAM and processor. I dont have any RAM which fits this motherboard, so that fails but i highly doubt its a memory problem. I have tried it with no optical drive but didnt make any difference. Going to try and remove my motherboard now and see if there is anything shorting or w.e.

Programmar
14-08-2010, 04:36 AM
Mobo is out, nothing shorting it underneath. I dont know how to get my fan and heatsink out though xD Its hurting my fingers just trying. But yeah, new motherboard perhaps?

Nomad
14-08-2010, 08:49 AM
i cannot say for sure.

when the hdd was out the same issues right?
re: the cpu and the fan. just unlatch the clips or lossen them and twist the fan it should pop when a bit of air gets underneath it dislodging the thermal paste.

wainuitech
14-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Highly doubt its the CPU, while its not impossible to be the fault, other components are more often to fail before the CPU does.

The Board may look OK, you generally wont see a short problem, but assemble it on a bench with every thing else, sometimes weird things happen.

Classic example a few weeks back a customers PC wouldn't boot at all, simply the fans started - nothing else. Dis-assembled it and put it back together on the bench and it worked perfectly.

The problem was when in the case, the USB port used for the Mouse was shorting on the case somehow -- Bit of "Panel Beating" on the case :D and its going fine.

Speedy Gonzales
14-08-2010, 09:20 AM
Sometimes the metal bits from the I/O panel can get stuck in the USB / NIC port on the back. It happened here the other day, when I put this in a new case (after I had installed everything :lol:). Pissed me off :devil

I had to pull it to bits again, before I turned it back on. That would probably short something

wainuitech
14-08-2010, 09:28 AM
Sometimes the metal bits from the I/O panel can get stuck in the USB / NIC port on the back. It happened here the other day, when I put this in a new case (after I had installed everything :lol:). Pissed me off :devil Yep Done that as well, :mad: [Insert swear words that would get ****** here ] :)

These days I bend the tabs up a little and check before screwing everything in place.

Programmar
14-08-2010, 09:34 AM
i cannot say for sure.

when the hdd was out the same issues right?
re: the cpu and the fan. just unlatch the clips or lossen them and twist the fan it should pop when a bit of air gets underneath it dislodging the thermal paste.
The fan is quite complicated, in the manual there are instructions on how to get it in but not out. Its not as simple as my previous mobo's :P There are like 4 plastic things that you have to push down to secure it underneath, but i cant get them back out. Even tried tweezers to squish it together at the bottom but no luck.

And yes, same issues with the HDD out. I took everything apart and put it back in, still get the same issues. Im happy buying a new motherboard, they are like £40 inc. post and packaging so its not that bad, same motherboard also. I highly doubt it is a CPU issue, if it was, it wouldnt boot up at all, right?

Nothing is shorting i.e panel wise, otherwise it wouldnt boot. Incase some of you didnt read properly it boots, but only displays command line interfaces and not graphical. If i get the green light to buy a new motherboard, i shall. Got it reserved on a bookmark :)

wainuitech
14-08-2010, 09:42 AM
Still a bit early for me Still half :sleep

Press ctrl + Alt + Del Do you get the task manager open ?

Programmar
14-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Still a bit early for me Still half :sleep

Press ctrl + Alt + Del Do you get the task manager open ?

What? Ive said i cant boot into windows because a system file is corrupt and i cant fix that because i can only use command line interfaces and not graphical.

Although, ctrl alt delete is the best form of fixing a computer. Next to turning it off and on again.

Nomad
14-08-2010, 09:57 AM
What? Ive said i cant boot into windows because a system file is corrupt and i cant fix that because i can only use command line interfaces and not graphical.

Although, ctrl alt delete is the best form of fixing a computer. Next to turning it off and on again.

umm .. you saying a file is corrupted cannot get into windows - cool.
you are also saying when the hdd is not plugged in you get the no display issue?

personally i would backup your stuff on the laptop with a USB device FIRST. i would use your CD and redo your hdd if it can be done. so you eliminate this thing out.

if you don't want your data, just reload the cd over with, prior formatting it.

Programmar
14-08-2010, 10:08 AM
umm .. you saying a file is corrupted cannot get into windows - cool.
you are also saying when the hdd is not plugged in you get the no display issue?

personally i would backup your stuff on the laptop with a USB device FIRST. i would use your CD and redo your hdd if it can be done. so you eliminate this thing out.

if you don't want your data, just reload the cd over with, prior formatting it.

No, it isnt the HDD that is the main problem. Windows system file has been corrupted, that doesnt bother me as i have a repair CD. However, when i try to boot that CD up (and yes, i know it boots fine :P) i dont get any graphical display like i do if i try the same CD on this laptop. Basically, i lack graphical display. The problem with windows is nothing, easily fixable, the problem i posted about is not having any kind of graphical display. Only command line interfaces. I know it isnt the HDD because even with it out i get the same problem.

Nomad
14-08-2010, 10:13 AM
dunno. got a shop with a good return policy? my bet is the motherboard or video card. do you play games? if not, just get a motherboard with built in video.

Programmar
14-08-2010, 10:21 AM
dunno. got a shop with a good return policy? my bet is the motherboard or video card. do you play games? if not, just get a motherboard with built in video.

It does have built in video, and i have a card also. Same result on both, my bet is that it is the motherboard. Sorry to sound harsh but, have you read the thread or just jumped in? Ive posted this info already, i dont mind posting it again but it'd be better if you (you're not the only one :)) read the thread first. Thanks for the advice though. Right now im running memtest, see what that gives out. If not, going to buy a new mobo providing i get the green light.

Nomad
14-08-2010, 10:25 AM
the thread now is 58 post, LOL.

someone said about virus, then someone said about task manager, i'm not the only person going over their head ....

wainuitech
14-08-2010, 10:29 AM

Although, ctrl alt delete is the best form of fixing a computer. Next to turning it off and on again. Awhhh NO -- seen it hundreds of times, windows wont load, hitting ctrl+Alt+Del brings up the Task Manager.

One thing doesn't sound right --

Right now im running memtest, see what that gives out. If not, going to buy a new mobo providing i get the green light.
However, when i try to boot that CD up (and yes, i know it boots fine :P) i dont get any graphical display like i do if i try the same CD on this laptop.

NORMALLY - If the Motherboard is screwed then you shouldn't be able to see Memtest running -- It USES GRAPHICS as well. Sure its all txt but if you see that then you should get a normal GUI as well, even if it is from a CD. When Linux (ubuntu) boots from the CD that loads into RAM

UNLESS there is some sort of damage that causes the graphics to fail when there is more of a load.

Nomad
14-08-2010, 10:32 AM
Wainui he says he tested the video card and the builtin video. I dunno eh .. I don't have that much patience. I say get a new mobo. Then buy the ram too if it comes to that, maybe chepaer or on par with a tech ......

if you don't play games, i get builtin video. in case the motherboard and video are both zapped. you could buy the video card too :D

BTWN when you tried the video card did you disable the builtin one?

Programmar
14-08-2010, 10:45 AM
NORMALLY - If the Motherboard is screwed then you shouldn't be able to see Memtest running -- It USES GRAPHICS as well. Sure its all txt but if you see that then you should get a normal GUI as well, even if it is from a CD. When Linux (ubuntu) boots from the CD that loads into RAM

UNLESS there is some sort of damage that causes the graphics to fail when there is more of a load.

Thats what i was thinking, this is why im not sure on anything. This happened when i was adding a new graphics card. I can see the "Starting windows" screen and that isnt a CL interface. Memtest runs in dos like conditions, which seems to be fine. DOS runs fine, heh, i wonder if doom would work.

I think it might be if the load is heavy, i read somewhere that it might switch inputs at some point but ive tried every port available for display. Well, besides S-Video.

wainuitech
14-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Wainui he says he tested the video card and the builtin video yes I know that - I did read it, BUT like I mentioned before -

Somethings is very weird -

(think about it) -- IF memtest is running and can be seen, then the graphics are working to a degree.
Memtest would normally be run from a Bootable CD.

So whats stopping a GUI from displaying - The CD's would load into RAM first, and thats when it appears to be failing.

Only thing I can think of without actually testing is - unless they are failing under more of a load. :confused:

A new board may very well fix it - But if it doesn't ?????

Programmar
14-08-2010, 10:46 AM
Wainui he says he tested the video card and the builtin video. I dunno eh .. I don't have that much patience. I say get a new mobo. Then buy the ram too if it comes to that, maybe chepaer or on par with a tech ......

if you don't play games, i get builtin video. in case the motherboard and video are both zapped. you could buy the video card too :D

BTWN when you tried the video card did you disable the builtin one?

Yeah, it gets automatically disabled anyway. But i did go into bios and disable it.

yes I know that - I did read it, BUT like I mentioned before -

Somethings is very weird -

(think about it) -- IF memtest is running and can be seen, then the graphics are working to a degree.
Memtest would normally be run from a Bootable CD.

So whats stopping a GUI from displaying - The CD's would load into RAM first, and thats when it appears to be failing.

Only thing I can think of without actually testing is - unless they are failing under more of a load. :confused:

A new board may very well fix it - But if it doesn't ?????
If it doesnt, ill send it back haha. Im running memtest from USB. I get the same result if i run the windows recovery tool on the harddrive as if i run it from a CD. Says its loading files, when it completes, no display. So i doubt it could be a RAM issue. Memtest didnt return anything bad either.

And also, i tried to run pen drive linux but that also stopped the display just after the command line splash screen it has. When it says, press enter to boot.

wainuitech
14-08-2010, 10:51 AM
With out any service place actually testing the Board to confirm, about all I can think of is get the Board you have lined up and see.

If it fixes the problem - great :thumbs: If the problem is still there, then it could be a waste of money, unless you are able to return the board or sell it.

Will be good to know the out come though please.