PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install Windows NT back on

smudge
11-08-2010, 11:16 PM
My niece had a computer which used to belong to the office workers in Telstra.. it had windows XP installed onto it but didn't come with any drivers etc, anyway, it had been going great for the past 3 or 4 years, then, i'm not sure what happened but within the past 2 weeks, it stopped loading up, it would get to the boot screen and wouldn't go any further. I don't have any new xp product numbers, and I couldn't retrieve the product number from the xp that was installed since it wouldn't get past the boot screen. On the drive box it has a Windows NT product key, so I entered a windows NT disk I have here and booted it, I deleted XP and created a new partition to install NT, when it comes to formating the new partition, it says there's not enough room..
How could this be possible? If it previously had an operating system on it, it should have room for a fresh install..

CYaBro
11-08-2010, 11:29 PM
Most likely had a volume license copy of XP on it so really wasn't legal for it to be sold/given away by Telstra in the first place.
Is your NT disc a service pack 6a? Or at least SP4?

inphinity
12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
Drive is probably too big for NT. If the disk isn't SP.. 4? or higher, it won't be able to use a bootable partition > 4GB (or was it 2GB?)

Alex B
12-08-2010, 12:53 PM
NT....give them linux (and I never say that) NT is a horrible horrible OS.

inphinity
12-08-2010, 01:03 PM
NT is rubbish for a desktop.

johnd
12-08-2010, 10:57 PM
How could this be possible? If it previously had an operating system on it, it should have room for a fresh install..
Not sure - but from memory a NT4 system needs a small FAT16 partition to boot from then NTFS for the rest of the file system.

mzee
12-08-2010, 11:29 PM
NT was very good and stable in its day. It requires a small FAT16 Boot partition. There is a patch which enables your other partitions to be FAT32.
The main problem with NT is that it did not support USB. There is a patch for USB but this is not any good as none of the USB software supported NT, it didn't exist at the time.
NT became Windows 2000 which became XP.