PDA

View Full Version : Memory

Sanco
11-08-2010, 09:55 AM
Hello to all the great people of PressF1

No, the memory isn't for myself personally (although I could do with a refresh of my old cerebellum...:lol: ) but for my PC, and I have a few questions on type etc.

I am not 100% sure whether all ram is compatible with all systems, whether one can indeed mix and match or it is better to stick with the same brand and so on.

I have a packard bell pc (now, I know what you think, but please don't laugh) iXtreme E303, several years old, with 1 gig memory and starting to show signs of needing at least another gig of it to spruce up performance, so off I went to several websites, including noel leeming and dick smith, to make a little research on prices and availability. Little I had known that there were so many different types of ram with even different amount of "pins" etc., so I need to know how I can find out the type of ram my machine mounts without physically opening the box, and would also like to have your knowledgeable input with the type of ram I should seek to purchase, price range for say, 1gig and whether you would have suggestions for a particular shop - online or otherwise - you may want to mention, or even yourselves, as I understand some of you are techies or shop owners.
If you need to know more specs of my machine, please ask and I will do my best to answer those as best as my limited knowledge in these areas will allow me.

Thank you in advance for any help you will be able to offer.

Sanco

Sanco
11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I went to packard bell and found the following data for my pc with regards to memory etc:

• Packard Bell iXtreme E303 MAX RAM: 4GB
• This iXtreme E303 has memory slots/sockets: Four (4)
• Upgrade Size: 1GB
• Memory Kit: 1x 1GB
• Module PIN count: 240-PIN
• Memory Generation: DDR2
• Module Speed: PC2-3200, DDR2-400
• MHz of Module: 400MHz
• Latency of Module: CL3
• The Packard Bell Kingston Desktop DIMM Type: UDIMM, Unbuffered DIMM, Unregistered DIMM

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2010, 10:00 AM
According to this

http://www.memoryupgrade.pro/packard-bell-memory1-ixtreme-ixtreme-e303.html

It can take 4 GB max. And uses DDR400 ram

SoniKalien
11-08-2010, 10:05 AM
It's getting pretty hard to buy ram for old machines now. However, for desktops it's a bit more flexible. (DIMM for desktop and SODIMM for notebooks.)

You 'can' mix and match ram brands and speeds although not really recommended. You will have to find something that matches your FSB speed of your motherboard, although faster ram will still work, it will work at the same speed as the slowest stick or FSB.

The only thing you will have to really watch is not to get DDR2 or DDR3 for a DDR(1) mobo.

Sanco
11-08-2010, 10:06 AM
Thank you speedy, as I had found out above. Can I just get a stick of ddr 400 ram from, say, kingston and the two sticks will happily live side by side?

Sanco
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Ok SoniKalien, so it would have to be ddr2 min 400Mhz as it is the recommended type of ram at packard bell for my system.

So far all good. One more question is where would you guys suggest I get some good stuff?

Cheers

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Hmm wait.. umm if the site itself says 240 pin, this isnt DDR 400. DDR 400 is 184 pin (and the old type ram). You can put anything in it. But if the system supports dual channel, then all sticks should be the same brand and speed. What does the stick thats in it, at the mo have on it?? DDR2-400?

Sanco
11-08-2010, 10:12 AM
Oh, ok. So DDR2, as stated above by the PB website would be the 240 pin type?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2010, 10:15 AM
If the site for the system says 240 pin, I would say its 240 pin. So, when you go to whatever store. Ask for PC2-3200 / DDR2-400 ram

Sanco
11-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Hummm, now I went to other ram websites in UK and Aussie stocking ram for my particular model and all state is a 184 pin DDR 400...
Should I open the box and count the pins myself...if that is how it works???

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2010, 10:23 AM
See whats written on the stick itself. See if it says DDR2-400, or DDR-400

Sanco
11-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Off I go then. Thank you Speedy. I saw that DSE have a 1gig stick of the ddr400 for $120.00, do you think is a good price?

Speedy Gonzales
11-08-2010, 10:31 AM
DDR400 is pretty expensive, since its the old type ram...that maybe why its expensive. There maybe computer shops that maybe cheaper...I would remove the stick you've got and take it in. So they can see what you need.

Just dont touch the contacts on it. Any computers shops near you??

Sanco
11-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Yes I am in Hastings Speedy, and the computer shops' idea is one I would definitely explore. Thank you again.

SoniKalien
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
Off I go then. Thank you Speedy. I saw that DSE have a 1gig stick of the ddr400 for $120.00, do you think is a good price?

Shop around, especially online shops. You should be able to get something for around $60-$70 + delivery

Snorkbox
11-08-2010, 11:01 AM
DDR2 400 240pin RAM does exist apparently.

http://www.oempcworld.com/OEMPCworld-com/PC2-3200.html

inphinity
11-08-2010, 11:12 AM
All standard DDR2 RAM will be 240-pin. DDR2-400 was the lowest-clocked DDR2 generally released. So you need to ensure you get DDR2-400, and *not* DDR-400, if its a DDR2 / 240 pin MBoard, as it appears to be from earlier posts in thsi thread.

In theory, most boards will also handle higher-clocked RAM of the same type (e.g. DDR2-667 or DDR2-800), provided the RAM module is capable of running at a lower clock - which most are. There are exceptions to this rule, however.

Snorkbox
11-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Precisely. I just wanted to clear that up.

SolMiester
11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Hello to all the great people of PressF1

No, the memory isn't for myself personally (although I could do with a refresh of my old cerebellum...:lol: ) but for my PC, and I have a few questions on type etc.

I am not 100% sure whether all ram is compatible with all systems, whether one can indeed mix and match or it is better to stick with the same brand and so on.

I have a packard bell pc (now, I know what you think, but please don't laugh) iXtreme E303, several years old, with 1 gig memory and starting to show signs of needing at least another gig of it to spruce up performance, so off I went to several websites, including noel leeming and dick smith, to make a little research on prices and availability. Little I had known that there were so many different types of ram with even different amount of "pins" etc., so I need to know how I can find out the type of ram my machine mounts without physically opening the box, and would also like to have your knowledgeable input with the type of ram I should seek to purchase, price range for say, 1gig and whether you would have suggestions for a particular shop - online or otherwise - you may want to mention, or even yourselves, as I understand some of you are techies or shop owners.
If you need to know more specs of my machine, please ask and I will do my best to answer those as best as my limited knowledge in these areas will allow me.

Thank you in advance for any help you will be able to offer.

Sanco

Hi, I would have to ask what you are doing that makes you think another Gb is required. Untold firefox tabs, multiple photo editing etc, as really 1GB is the sweet spot for Windows XP. That is not to say 2gb cant be used, certainly when gaming the extra RAM helps, but everyday application hardly require it.

Being an old machine, I would say a modern Hard drive or perhaps just a good defrag and a bit of housekeeping with start up apps maybe all you need!

lakewoodlady
11-08-2010, 11:22 AM
You could download and run Crucial Scan. You can get it from www.crucial.com

It will tell you exactly what you have and what you need.

LL