PDA

View Full Version : New Gaming rig

Orantatmeplox
10-08-2010, 10:31 PM
Okay, so i want to build a new gaming rig (did you guess) my budget is $2k. Ive tried so god damned many combinations of stuff in my head but so far the only things that have stuck are that I want...

CPU - i5 750
Case - CM Storm Scout
Mouse - CM Storm Sentinal Advance

So my question is whats the best that you could build using those components?
Im pretty stuck on those components but you can try to change my mind.
I Need everything apart from a keyboard.

Thank you

GameJunkie
10-08-2010, 10:42 PM
have a look at this
they'd be able to put a system together around your budget
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=3

HarKon
10-08-2010, 10:48 PM
If you want to overclock ATI 5850 is the way to go for graphics cards, not the GTX 465

Deimos
10-08-2010, 11:24 PM
According to the latest HardOCP article, the GTX 460 in SLI will beat or match a 5870 Crossfire setup and costs $300 US less

Thebananamonkey
11-08-2010, 01:09 PM
According to the latest HardOCP article, the GTX 460 in SLI will beat or match a 5870 Crossfire setup and costs $300 US less

Tomshardware did an article on this too. If I had the money, this is definitely the way I'd go.

$2k for everything is a real stretch though... See what CL can do for you.

wratterus
11-08-2010, 01:11 PM
have a look at this
they'd be able to put a system together around your budget
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=3

Fully recommend that too - CL will be able to put together a price with the components you want.

SolMiester
11-08-2010, 02:43 PM
Okay, so i want to build a new gaming rig (did you guess) my budget is $2k. Ive tried so god damned many combinations of stuff in my head but so far the only things that have stuck are that I want...

CPU - i5 750
Case - CM Storm Scout
Mouse - CM Storm Sentinal Advance

So my question is whats the best that you could build using those components?
Im pretty stuck on those components but you can try to change my mind.
I Need everything apart from a keyboard.

Thank you

Dont know about the mouse, but the CPU is a good choice, only i7 is better and then you would need quite a bit more money.....

As already stated, the GTX460 1GB SLI is price/performance king at present, however depending on your LCD size, you may not need to buy 2 straight away!...OC the the 460 and you have 5870 performance which is ample for 1080 gaming...later in the year, you can pick up another for future tessellation games, that 1 card may struggle with.

Win7 x64 is a must, I would also get a 3rd party CPU cooler and clock the i5 up to 4Ghz..These fast cards need alot of data to process so you need a fast CPU to deliver it.

That case is just horrible. I know taste in only an opinion, but to me bling cases just remind me of adolescent pimps who think flash = taste..yuk!
Cases last for years, get a decent one and save yourself future outlay. Get it right 1st time.
HAF-X is built for nVidia 4xxx series or Silverstone Raven or better yet Obsidian 800D or 700D

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1311/1/ HAL-X -though I must say while a great functioning case, a little too bling for me
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/pc/games/159644.Silverstone-Raven-2-Case/previews/133687.Silverstone-Raven-2-Case/ RAVEN v2wicked case

http://www.corsair.com/products/800d/default.aspx My Fav Osidian -understated beauty

All of these cases are about cable management and cooling, and actually separate the chambers for the different components. Sure they probably cost a little more, BUT with better temperature zones, you can get more performance out of the parts you buy.

Seriously, you have to start with the right equipment, case and cooling, power supply, motherboard, CPU, GPU, HDD and in that order.....

pctek
11-08-2010, 06:51 PM
That case is just horrible. I know taste in only an opinion, but to me bling cases just remind me of adolescent pimps who think flash = taste..yuk!

Exactly. Cases are a matter of taste.

I have to say I like a bit of bling on my cases and I'm not an adolescent, pimply or a flash fan either.

SolMiester
11-08-2010, 07:05 PM
Exactly. Cases are a matter of taste.

I have to say I like a bit of bling on my cases and I'm not an adolescent, pimply or a flash fan either.

LOL PCT, I said pimp, not pimply as in acne!...however the cases I pointed too are more than just elegant looking, they are the best for cooling, cable management and working with period!

pctek
12-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Well yes cable management, mine is sadly lacking with that, but elegant is so boring.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Well yes cable management, mine is sadly lacking with that, but elegant is so boring.

You forgot best in cooling!...the money the OP could save on 2nd 460, he could put towards a decent case, its like comparing a Aston with a Japer..

Here is a spec for you, slightly over your 2k, but worth it IMO...also shows prices for the Obsidian & Haf-X in case you find even more money under your bed..lol

Deimos
12-08-2010, 12:19 PM
Dont know about the mouse, but the CPU is a good choice, only i7 is better and then you would need quite a bit more money.....

As already stated, the GTX460 1GB SLI is price/performance king at present, however depending on your LCD size, you may not need to buy 2 straight away!...OC the the 460 and you have 5870 performance which is ample for 1080 gaming...later in the year, you can pick up another for future tessellation games, that 1 card may struggle with.

WTH?

an i5 is ample for a gaming machine, the only diff with an i7 is more memory bandwidth which makes little difference for gaming.

and a single Radeon 5870 totally obliterates a single GTX460 no matter how far you try to overclock it, even a 5850 is significantly faster, but because crossfire scaling is crap, a GTX460 SLI setup is pretty much dead even with a crossfire 5870 setup.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 01:00 PM
WTH?

an i5 is ample for a gaming machine, the only diff with an i7 is more memory bandwidth which makes little difference for gaming.

and a single Radeon 5870 totally obliterates a single GTX460 no matter how far you try to overclock it, even a 5850 is significantly faster, but because crossfire scaling is crap, a GTX460 SLI setup is pretty much dead even with a crossfire 5870 setup.

Exactly, what are you going on about, I wasnt saying get the i7 mate, I said only the i7 is better....and while a single 5870 is faster than 1 460, you are correct in saying SLI 460 = 5870 CF...a least with the yet again crap ATi drivers (10.7)...

So, in order to get a decent case for better cooling etc, I suggested 1 460 now as it enough for 1080, then get another later....

Sorry if the wording wasnt good enough for ya mate, i try harder next time!

Brooko
12-08-2010, 02:41 PM
... and a single Radeon 5870 totally obliterates a single GTX460 no matter how far you try to overclock it...

You forget to mention current price diff between a 5870 and GTX460 - and that's what Sol was trying to point out I believe. The 5870 is a lot more expensive ~ 700 vs ~ 400.

So get one GTX460 now, add another later SLI - and you still get more bang for your buck.

Made sense to me!

Battleneter2
12-08-2010, 03:00 PM
WTH?

Well there are a few games i7 makes a diff esp RTS even at higher res.
http://www.techspot.com/review/305-starcraft2-performance/page13.html/

To name a resent one, but overall i5 is a great choice esp if you over-clock.

inphinity
12-08-2010, 03:25 PM

Yeah, a 5870 is a lot faster than a GTX460. But it costs about 60% more. You could pay only slightly more to get dual 460s in SLI, than a single 5870, and jump ahead of the 5870 in performance.

Even going for rubbish like Sapphire it'd be about $600 for a 5870 1GB, I could get two 460 1GBs for $650.

And yeah, 1 5850 is slighty faster than 1 460, but again, it's about 30% more expensive.

Personally, I think the GTX460 is the price:performance sweet spot atm, but I won't argue that the 5850 is a very good card at it's price point. You have to spend another $200 or so to make a worthwhile step up from it (either 5870 or dual 460s). However, for me, the 5850 doesn't justify it's price difference over the 460 1GB.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 03:45 PM
I dont think their is much in performance between the 460 1GB and the 5850 anyway, and the Fermi does scale better when clocked or tandem!

HD with very high settings!

Thebananamonkey
12-08-2010, 10:10 PM
I'll just put my troll hat on for two seconds...

1.) I appreciate what you guys are saying here, but how often does this forum have to dissolve into people playing favourites with various pieces of hardware?

2.) Almost universally, posts are difficult to read. Poor grammar, spelling mistakes and half thought out posts seem to be the trend. You don't have to be English professors but please make a bit of an effort. Solmiester's "alot (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)" can be forgiven, but Deimos... "resent"?

Really?

3.) I like you guys and I really appreciate what you do here, so I'm going to take my troll hat off, put a hard hat on and crawl into the corner while I'm obliterated for this post.

SolMiester
12-08-2010, 11:14 PM
I'll just put my troll hat on for two seconds...

1.) I appreciate what you guys are saying here, but how often does this forum have to dissolve into people playing favourites with various pieces of hardware?

2.) Almost universally, posts are difficult to read. Poor grammar, spelling mistakes and half thought out posts seem to be the trend. You don't have to be English professors but please make a bit of an effort. Solmiester's "alot (http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/2010/04/alot-is-better-than-you-at-everything.html)" can be forgiven, but Deimos... "resent"?

Really?

3.) I like you guys and I really appreciate what you do here, so I'm going to take my troll hat off, put a hard hat on and crawl into the corner while I'm obliterated for this post.

Bad day much?

LOL

Thebananamonkey
13-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Bad day much?

LOL

Mostly I just wanted an opportunity to link to the "Alot" page. It cracks me up. "Alot of fire" is pretty awesome.

But it gets pretty rough and ready in here sometimes. For a help forum, 4 dissolves into an extension of 5 pretty often.

But yeah, mostly just having a bad day. Much better today!

Where's OP gone? I was going to recommend the hell out of some computer... too bad...