PDA

View Full Version : Best input device for shakey hands

Greven
09-08-2010, 07:09 PM
What is the best input device for people with shaky hands to use? My grandfather has a lot of trouble with his mouse & I can't imagine a trackball or tablet being any better.

Driftwood
09-08-2010, 08:37 PM
I have a similar problem & use a macally trackball. They are not expensive if you just want to give it a try.
I would have thought using the keyboard would have been his main problem.

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Speech if the system supports it. Save you typing or using your hands at all

Greven
09-08-2010, 09:32 PM
He can take his time & hit the right keys with one finger, but you use your whole hand to control a mouse so it is harder for him to control. Speech recognition programs have enough problems with southlanders as it is without trying to interpret Opa's unique accent.

I'm surprised the trackball is easy for you to use. I will look into that.

wainuitech
09-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Have you tried reducing the mouse sensitivity -- Dont know if it would help or not. This product here (http://www.montrosesecam.com/) may be useful.

without trying to interpret Opa's unique accent. Dutch is he ?

Greven
09-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Have you tried reducing the mouse sensitivity -- Dont know if it would help or not.

Dutch is he ?

I set the mouse sensitivity to minimum & he is able to use it like that, but runs out of desk space & has trouble double-clicking to open emails. Your link looks interesting, but it is very expensive & not sold in NZ.

Opa is Dutch. He has been in NZ for 40 years so his accent is neither Dutch nor Kiwi.

wainuitech
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Opa is Dutch. He has been in NZ for 40 years so his accent is neither Dutch nor Kiwi. Bit like the inlaws, about the same time :) They are dutch, and sometimes its awkward, esp after a few drinks, they talk in english usually, then suddenly switch to dutch , or if they dont know a word/description in english but do in dutch -- SWMBO understands it fine - the rest of us go, English please.:confused:

trouble double-clicking to open emails. You have the option to set the mouse to single click to open instead of double, if thats any help.

I did also find This software (http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/MouseCage.shtml) - Mousecage. Some reviews were not to promising -- It does have a trial so I guess you could try it and see.

Alex B
09-08-2010, 10:58 PM
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-16016120845095_2113_17875691
That be any good?

Deimos
10-08-2010, 12:26 AM
Windows 7 has really good speach recognition built in, takes about 15 minutes to train and you can pretty much use everything, I couldn't find any real usage limitations.

coldot
10-08-2010, 09:29 AM
".... & has trouble double-clicking to open emails"
I see that quite often and advise users to "highlight and press Enter" instead of struggling with double-click. It's much easier for people who can't keep to the double-click timing.

pctek
10-08-2010, 09:58 AM
I set the mouse sensitivity to minimum & he is able to use it like that, but runs out of desk space & has trouble double-clicking to open emails.

Change to single click opening......

Paul.Cov
10-08-2010, 10:37 AM
In support of what Coldot had to say, he could also consider using the tab key to get to the item/button he wants and then press enter or space to activate - this way he's using only the bigger keys and can ditch the mouse.

Adding in some lessons on the Alt key for menus, Alt-Tab for ap switching, Ctrl-Tab for pane switching will further lessen his need to ever touch the mouse.

Then introduce the two windows keys for the start button and the right-click menus and the job is complete.