PDA

View Full Version : 3 year old stove.

Cicero
09-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Friend has a 3 year old Smeg stove.

She lives on her own and uses twice a week at most.

Now the element and a seal have gone.

They want to charge her over $400 to fix,she complained and they have reduced to late 300's.

Whats the story re this reasonable wear situation.?

Certainly sounds unfair to me!

johcar
09-08-2010, 01:59 PM
I assume it's a ceramic top - which is probably why the repair is so expensive.

But if you're saying the seal around the oven door is poked after only three years, I'd definitely be arguing the toss! And it would be unusual for an element to go in so short a time too IMO...

pctek
09-08-2010, 02:07 PM
Talk to manager of shop she bought it from, mention CGA.

hueybot3000
09-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Nothings built to last now?

Cicero
09-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Talk to manager of shop she bought it from, mention CGA.

Do we know what rule is re CGA?

Agent_24
09-08-2010, 02:28 PM
3 years sounds about right for the pieces of junk they sell now, in fact you're probably lucky, I've heard of them rusting to bits after 2 years.

johcar
09-08-2010, 02:38 PM

The item in question must be fit for purpose for a reasonable length of time, but it's pretty vague on what 'reasonable' is.

But a 'reasonable' person would not expect to have to pay for repairs on an item they had spent several thousand dollars for within the first 5-8 years of its life.

EDIT: Try this link: http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0091/latest/DLM312808.html#DLM312808

and here:

http://www.consumer.org.nz/reports/consumer-guarantees-act/the-guarantees

wainuitech
09-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Reasonable time for an appliance also has another factor involved.

With so many cheap imports etc these days you can pick up some items for bugger all.

If you had a Oven/Stove that cost say $2.5 - 3 K or more you would expect it to last a while.

Harvey Normans have currently Ovens/Stoves for under $1000 -- So you wouldn't expect to be as good a quality.

Scouse
09-08-2010, 04:13 PM
Hi C. Suggest he/she gets a few quotes. We were recently told by a local repair guy that our 10 year old washing machine would probably require $250 +/- parts and he recommended that we simply replace it. A second local tinkered with it for ten minutes, replaced some small part and charged me $70. Runs as good as ever.

wratterus
09-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Hi C. Suggest he/she gets a few quotes. We were recently told by a local repair guy that our 10 year old washing machine would probably require $250 +/- parts and he recommended that we simply replace it. A second local tinkered with it for ten minutes, replaced some small part and charged me $70. Runs as good as ever.

But for how long? It's so easy these days to spend little amounts time and time again keeping older appliances running, in the long run it would have been cheaper to bite the bullet and get a new one when it broke in the first place. :xmouth:

Cicero
09-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Having read Joey's info,I am thinking it would be difficult to argue what is reasonable without an adjudicator,which would cost more than job is worth.

HelloS,we live out in the mulga here in Swanny,so getting people to look at these jobs is not easy!.

beetle
09-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes id suggest getting some quotes........

i got my electrician nephew to fix mine last time simmer stat? and a seal. and cost just over a hundred. the job i got done by the whiteware man cost nearly 300 and in less than 2 days the new seal fell off....... i complained, and they never fixed it, so i never went back.
i did pay the bill, but i grumbled about it, but dont want to get a bad credit rating so i paid. they never followed up or called again.... so i do not recommend them any more.

:)
beetle

Cicero
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes id suggest getting some quotes........

i got my electrician nephew to fix mine last time simmer stat? and a seal. and cost just over a hundred. the job i got done by the whiteware man cost nearly 300 and in less than 2 days the new seal fell off....... i complained, and they never fixed it, so i never went back.
i did pay the bill, but i grumbled about it, but dont want to get a bad credit rating so i paid. they never followed up or called again.... so i do not recommend them any more.

beetle

Would your cousin look at this Beet?

Would be very handy.

beetle
09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
probably not, we not even in same island......

ask you reliable local electrician, someone you trust or use to do work for you.

and see what they say, it doesnt take long to do the job.

beetle

Cicero
09-08-2010, 07:08 PM
probably not, we not even in same island......

ask you reliable local electrician, someone you trust or use to do work for you.

and see what they say, it doesnt take long to do the job.

beetle

What rotten sevice.

I was only pulling you leg beet.

plod
09-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Well since Smeg is sold in NZ as a premium product, and it comes with a 2 year warranty. I would have no hesitation in saying that 3 years is not past a reasonable amount of time. I would say go the COA route

Trev
09-08-2010, 08:45 PM
You meant CGA route ?

beeswax34
09-08-2010, 09:03 PM

Yup, I think its section 8 or the likes. A product is expected to last a reasonable amount of time otherwise the consumer is entitled to a refund/replacement/repair. Now reasonable time varies for everything so while a computer might be 2-3 years, for a stove it could be 10 years+ ?

Ah, its section 6 and 7- http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/public/1993/0091/latest/DLM312808.html#DLM312808

plod
09-08-2010, 09:46 PM
You meant CGA route ?
Just making sure people knew their COA from there CGA. Congratulations you past:clap

PaulD
09-08-2010, 09:55 PM
Friend has a 3 year old Smeg stove.

She lives on her own and uses twice a week at most.

Now the element and a seal have gone.

What model Smeg, element and seal?

Some Smeg ovens have a door seal that can be removed by the owner for cleaning. If owner falls into the ham fisted class the seal mightn't last long :eek:

R2x1
09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
This Smeg is not a precious. ;)

bob_doe_nz
09-08-2010, 11:12 PM
Congratulations you past:clap

Oops, don't let Roddy see that.

Cicero
10-08-2010, 06:41 AM
What model Smeg, element and seal?

Some Smeg ovens have a door seal that can be removed by the owner for cleaning. If owner falls into the ham fisted class the seal mightn't last long :eek:

Will check on this.

Thanks lads,great help.
Beet has been promoted to a lad;)

beetle
10-08-2010, 09:54 AM
LOL

:waughh:
beetle