PDA

View Full Version : Network printer showing as offline when not

woc
09-08-2010, 10:28 AM
I have a problem with a rico network printer.

The network addressing is Auto and set by router.
The printer address is 192.168.254.210 .
Local Nework address : 192.168.254. 1-200
Sub-net 255.255.255.0
Computer address is usually 192.168.254.4

There are 4 computer connected to the printer.

The computer is using a local ports for access the printer.
The computer is using XP (home I think)

Problem:

When the printer is turned off and restarts the printer shows up as offline.

The printer is not offline. It can be pinged and other computers can access it.
If one adds the printer then it then shows up as online and can print OK until the computer is restarted.

Anyone have this happen before and know the solution.
I'm sure it is simple. :confused:

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
? If the Local Nework address is 192.168.254. 1-200 (I take it this is the valid ip range)? and the printer is 192.168.254.210, isnt that outside the ip range?

How is this printer connected?

nedkelly
09-08-2010, 10:34 AM
I always thought it was recommended that network printers have a static ip address?

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2010, 10:36 AM
It'd probably be better if all the PC's were. Since, if you reboot them often, the ip's will change. And they wont find each other after

nedkelly
09-08-2010, 11:03 AM
So I was right giving all of my own pcs a static then

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
I would say so yup. I do the same thing here. Well, I have to use a static ip on this for IRC, and a static ip for the Xbox. So, I can add it to DMZ in the router.

Since static ips stay the same. If you put it on auto, they dont

nedkelly
09-08-2010, 11:15 AM
You have irc?

EDIT: oops thought you meant irc server, reread it and it made sense.

SolMiester
09-08-2010, 11:17 AM
So I was right giving all of my own pcs a static then

NO!, you use reservations for DHCP!

Agent_24
09-08-2010, 11:19 AM
You don't have to assign static IPs on your LAN, as long as name resolution is working properly you will always be able to find your PCs.

But, it does make management easier (consistency) - and of course you can't do manual port forwarding if the IP is going to change.

But I assign them not manually in Windows but by way of MAC address in the router. Then I can leave the PCs to use DHCP which allows them to still work easily if I happen to connect them to a different network.

SolMiester
09-08-2010, 11:22 AM
You don't have to assign static IPs on your LAN, as long as name resolution is working properly you will always be able to find your PCs.

But, it does make management easier (consistency) - and of course you can't do manual port forwarding if the IP is going to change.

But I assign them not manually in Windows but by way of MAC address in the router. Then I can leave the PCs to use DHCP which allows them to still work easily if I happen to connect them to a different network.

Snap agent...!, most router now allow reservations via either MAC address or Hostname!

nedkelly
09-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Yeah well I had to reset my router a few days ago, and if I had all my ips done on the router then I would have to redo them all.

Agent_24
09-08-2010, 11:35 AM
Yeah well I had to reset my router a few days ago, and if I had all my ips done on the router then I would have to redo them all.

Mine has a backup and restore settings option, most routers should...

woc
09-08-2010, 11:41 AM
The computer in question is a laptop so assigning a static ip is not feasible.
The fact is that other computer are not having a problem and this one is.
It was fiddled around with by a another person. And has since had problems.

woc
09-08-2010, 11:46 AM
? If the Local Nework address is 192.168.254. 1-200 (I take it this is the valid ip range)? and the printer is 192.168.254.210, isnt that outside the ip range?

How is this printer connected?

The printer is connected by the network.
Using a local ip port . When a new copy is added is works no problem.

So I suspect it has something to do with the computer not sending a request check to test if the printer is online.

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2010, 12:05 PM
The computer in question is a laptop so assigning a static ip is not feasible.

Why not?? Its not going to screw anything up. It wouldn't matter whether its a desktop or laptop

Agent_24
09-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Why not?? Its not going to screw anything up. It wouldn't matter whether its a desktop or laptop

It will matter if he often takes it to other locations and connects to other networks (which is what people usually do with laptops!)

Having the laptop using DHCP will allow it to configure automatically no matter which network.

If he assigned it manually, he'd have to change it every time which would be annoying.

That is why it's better to configure the DHCP server\router to only give a certain IP to that certain MAC address, so even when the PC is using automatic settings, it will still get the same IP, but can also easily go to another network and get a totally different configuration without the user having to change any network settings.

Of course I am only guessing that this is the scenario here...

SolMiester
09-08-2010, 12:47 PM
The printer is connected by the network.
Using a local ip port . When a new copy is added is works no problem.

So I suspect it has something to do with the computer not sending a request check to test if the printer is online.

Here is your problem!....when the printer address changes, it is not reflected by the IP local port which is using TCP/IP printing.....I copy of the printer fixes the issue however I suspect the printer software or windows is taking time to adjust to the new settings hence the printer off-line.

To fix the issue!, use the routers reservations to set a reversed IP address for the printer with DHCP, that way the IP address wont change & windows will have the correct IP address to use!

SolMiester
09-08-2010, 12:48 PM

UNLESS the laptop goes traveling to another router!....Speedy Static IP addressing is for Servers and Static resources!, not for desktops and laptops!

edit - bugger, agent beat me to it!

woc
09-08-2010, 01:13 PM
Here is your problem!....when the printer address changes, it is not reflected by the IP local port which is using TCP/IP printing.....I copy of the printer fixes the issue however I suspect the printer software or windows is taking time to adjust to the new settings hence the printer off-line.

To fix the issue!, use the routers reservations to set a reversed IP address for the printer with DHCP, that way the IP address wont change & windows will have the correct IP address to use!

Ok Thanks. I will try that and post the result.

SolMiester
09-08-2010, 01:23 PM
WOC, sorry the post should read Reserved IP address...once set, remember to check if the port set on your printer properties matches the address of the printer, if not, create a new TCP/IP port as you cant configure existing, then place tick by new port

woc
09-08-2010, 05:00 PM
WOC, sorry the post should read Reserved IP address...once set, remember to check if the port set on your printer properties matches the address of the printer, if not, create a new TCP/IP port as you cant configure existing, then place tick by new port

I have just re read your solution and realized that was not the problem.

The printer has a static IP the computer does not.

When I add a new printer I use the existing ip port - I do not need to create a new one.
Remember that all the other computers can access the printer so it has to be something to do with this one addressing, or contacting the printer.

I will try and give this one a static ip via mac address and see if that works.

Speedy Gonzales
09-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Dont use ips for the printer then. If the printer is on one computer, add a / the printer / select network, then find the printer then add it

SolMiester
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
I have just re read your solution and realized that was not the problem.

The printer has a static IP the computer does not.

When I add a new printer I use the existing ip port - I do not need to create a new one.
Remember that all the other computers can access the printer so it has to be something to do with this one addressing, or contacting the printer.

I will try and give this one a static ip via mac address and see if that works.

Is the printer attached to the router or another computer?

It doesnt matter if the computer doesnt have a static address along as the printer does, dont go making static addresses, that is not the answer....what operating systems are you using?

Greven
09-08-2010, 06:58 PM
What anti-virus and firewall are you running? I have found some anti-virus products can cause problems with network printing even when they are disabled.

woc
10-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Is the printer attached to the router or another computer?

The printer is attached to the router via a hub.

Have not had a chance to get back to it today but the owner had to reinstall it again after they turned it off overnight.