PDA

View Full Version : Updating to Windows XP SP3

stu161204
07-08-2010, 04:48 PM
I am currently running Win XP SP 2 and I am looking at updating to SP3 soon!

Has any one had any problems with it?

When I upgraded my mumís computer I noticed a performance hit, and was wondering if any once else has noticed the same thing?

Any one got any tips / hints?

Also I have a Acer aspire 3002WLMi laptop which also need to be updated to SP3, will I have any problems with it?

Also I am currently running Internet Explorer 6, when I update to SP3 does that mean I upgrade to Internet Explorer 7?

Thanks for any advise :)

gary67
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
SP3 didn't do anything bad here, you will loose IE6 though as you should it is outdated and vulnerable. I would download the service pack complete then you can install it on the computers without having to download it several times. I did and have kept it on my server under XP service packs for future use

pcuser42
07-08-2010, 04:55 PM
The only problem I've had with SP3 is getting it installed on my netbook (which had BA free space), but otherwise it's been perfect, maybe unnoticeable.

IE7 isn't included with SP3, but you should upgrade to IE8 at the same time, or even better, Firefox 3.6 :D

PCT Joe
07-08-2010, 04:57 PM
The only problem I've had with SP3 is getting it installed on my netbook (which had BA free space), but otherwise it's been perfect, maybe unnoticeable.

IE7 isn't included with SP3, but you should upgrade to IE8 at the same time, or even better, Firefox 3.6 :D

I second this, go to getfirefox.com to get the latest, and greatest :)

stu161204
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
I am already using Firefox :)

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Only thing you have to be careful of is if its an HP / Compaq system, and its AMD.

wainuitech
07-08-2010, 05:33 PM
Only thing you have to be careful of is if its an HP / Compaq system, and its AMD. IF you do have a Compaq/ HP and its AMD install the patch BEFORE YOU UPGRADE to SP3 From here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&dlc=...&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-60484-2) - IF YOU DONT you will end up in an endless reboot after SP3 installs ( Compaq Stuffed up its not a microsoft problem)

nmercer
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
SP3 didn't do anything bad here, you will loose IE6 though as you should it is outdated and vulnerable. I would download the service pack complete then you can install it on the computers without having to download it several times. I did and have kept it on my server under XP service packs for future use

FWIW XP3 doesn't turn off IE6

gary67
07-08-2010, 05:42 PM
FWIW XP3 doesn't turn off IE6

Ok for some reason I thought it did

pcuser42
07-08-2010, 05:54 PM
Ok for some reason I thought it did

What it does do, however, is remove the ability to uninstall IE7 if it is installed. :)

lakewoodlady
07-08-2010, 06:11 PM
IF you do have a Compaq/ HP and its AMD install the patch BEFORE YOU UPGRADE to SP3 From here (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&dlc=...&cc=us&softwareitem=pv-60484-2) - IF YOU DONT you will end up in an endless reboot after SP3 installs ( Compaq Stuffed up its not a microsoft problem)

Phew!!! I am so glad I read this thread, as I am about to do same with older computer installing Win XP SP2! Older comp is HP and has AMD processor.

LL

Terry Porritt
07-08-2010, 06:54 PM
It's worth reading this from MS:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

From memory a lot of the problems people had when installing SP3 was that their SP2 system was buggy or not quite right for whatever reason. So it may pay to do a good system clean and check disk etc first.

Apparently Nortons also causes problems, and note the instruction to disable anti-virus program.

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2010, 07:25 PM
And make sure before you install SP3, the system isn't infected with malware.

You'll also have probs if you don't remove it first

lakewoodlady
07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
And make sure before you install SP3, the system isn't infected with malware.

You'll also have probs if you don't remove it first

True!
LL

kahawai chaser
07-08-2010, 10:05 PM
I just installed SP2 and 3 last week, and had no PC problems before and now. But I needed a later version of Microsoft net for advanced online search software which all needed SP2. Seems to be frequent updates for SP3, and have no idea (nor really researched it) why. Maybe that's why Microsoft built MSE as a complimentary form of defence...

Agent_24
07-08-2010, 11:16 PM
Disable any realtime antivirus\malware protection etc - it can happen that it interferes with the update and causes issues.

Also, regarding the slow performance, it's definitely true.

I tried a side by side comparison with XP Pro SP1 and XP Pro SP3 on the same machine (an old Pentium II 500Mhz or so) and the SP1 version definitely ran a lot faster.

The culprit seemed to be much higher RAM usage, even on a clean install. (no doubt due to extra security stuff and more processes that run by default)

Even so, disabling the non-essential ones did not speed it up to SP1 speeds.