PDA

View Full Version : 4Shared.com - Is this site OK for downloading KB hotfix?

BBCmicro
07-08-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm trying to fix a problem with "mfpmp.exe" causing 29% CPU usage when dlna streaming. KB2120976 might solve the problem but I'm having trouble passing Validation to download it from MS. Searching for the file elsewhere brings up 4shared.com. It has a nice presentation of hotfixes and KB updates. Has anyone used this service? Is it safe for someone like me? (an amateur who relies on restore points and images rather than proper knowledge

GameJunkie
07-08-2010, 05:35 PM
how much cpu is dlna streaming 'supposed' to use???

BBCmicro
07-08-2010, 05:58 PM
how much cpu is dlna streaming 'supposed' to use???

I don't think dlna is the problem - smb would probably have it too. (Bravia only connects to dlna.) The problem seems to be a file called "mfpmp.exe" which is something to do with DRM. A Google search shows lots of complaints about this file.

Process explorer gives 0.4% for WMP12 but about 20% for "mfpmp.exe" (and up to 29%). I occasionally get stuttering on the sound and I'm wondering if high CPU usage is at fault. CPU is i5-750. All 4 cores are bubbling away. The footage is my own. (actually it's commercial but recorded via analogue

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Is hardware acceleration enabled?? If it is disable it

BBCmicro
07-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Hardware acceleration was enabled (ATI HD5450). I disabled it by Rt-click on a YouTube video and the problem was still the same on my streaming (20 - 25% CPU). Not sure whether disabling on internet flv files automatically applies to streaming from my HDD though

Could be that Gamejunkie is right - maybe the streaming does require that level of CPU activity?? I don't know

The files are HDV 1080i 25fps (overkill for the source material but required if I want to play them on the Bravia via USB. The USB input doesn't seem to take standard PAL file header??)

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Disable it thru the drivers / software / windows. The site probably wont change it in windows

goodiesguy
07-08-2010, 09:27 PM
4shared is a good site and is trusted by me. i have downloaded many rare unreleased stereo versions of songs that were only thought to remain in mono.

4shared is a damn good site in my opinion :)

BBCmicro
07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Disable it thru the drivers / software / windows

I couldn't find anywhere in the Catalyst control centre to disable it.

GoodiesGuy - thanks for your opinion. It's what I was looking for:)

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2010, 09:44 PM
Right mouse on the desktop / screen resolution / advanced settings / troubleshoot tab I think. It may or may not be disabled anyway

BBCmicro
07-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Your procedure looks right Speedy but 'change settings' is greyed out. It says 'click this button if your current display driver allows you to'.

Incidentally have now downloaded the KB 'hotfix' and rebooted. Still giving 25% CPU usage:(

Speedy Gonzales
07-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Yup I don't think ATI cards support hw acceleration