PDA

View Full Version : A Cat's Tale

Roscoe
07-08-2010, 01:08 PM
We recently shifted house. Along with everything that goes with a shift we also moved two cats to their new house.

Everyone knows, of course, that you need to keep a cat in their new address for a week or two before let out to have an explore of their new surroundings.

We did that and they appeared to settle and so decided to let them out. One of the cats bolted and did not return. SWMBO was upset, but what can you do?

We put some flyers out and two people replied but we could not find her cat and so had to accept that her cat was gone.

Two months later we received a call from the people who bought our house. They told us of a cat that was miaowing outside their window and appeared to be living under the house. The description sounded right so we went up to have a look and sure enough, it was SWMBOs cat. It took Ĺ an hour to coax the cat to come, but hunger finally overcame the cat and she came for some food.

While the distance, about five kilometres, was not great it seems that it is a fair distance in pussycat terms. We wonder what happened in that two month period and after a vetís examination realised that the cat had been in a fight or two along the way, had lost most of her body weight and was hydrated but apart from that the cat seems in reasonable shape.

Itís like losing a family member Ė which a cat is Ė and so it was great to have the cat back after a two month, five kilometre, absence. Quite a catís tale, eh?

Trev
07-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Glad you got your cat back and yes they are like losing a part of your family.
:)

gary67
07-08-2010, 01:23 PM
SWMBO has 3 cats wish they would bugger off damn stupid things, the bantams in the garden have more use at least they give eggs. Cats do nothing they don't even bite the postie

nedkelly
07-08-2010, 01:32 PM
Our cat brings us presents of live rats and lets them go in the house, and the occasional dead one

Terry Porritt
07-08-2010, 01:44 PM
An animals homing instincts are remarkable. We had a cat that kept returning to our old house, a few miles away. It did it about 4 or 5 times before it disappeared altogether, probably run over.

Then another one we had when we lived in Dorset UK, was fond of sleeping in the car next door. We surmised it had a ride to Bournemouth on the coast about 25 miles away, when the car owner was visiting her daughter.

The cat turned up at our front door 2 weeks later exhausted and with sore raw feet, and slept for nearly a week, waking to eat and toilet :) It had had many main roads to cross.

pctek
07-08-2010, 02:22 PM
Everyone knows, of course, that you need to keep a cat in their new address for a week or two before let out to have an explore of their new surroundings.

I've never done that.
Both times I let them out in the house to explore - then as they asked to go outside (a couple of hours later), I did. Wandered round the boundaries with them then left them to it.

None ever left.

Is yours (or was) male? They tend to wander more than ex-females.

Males especially get more territorial.

Roscoe
07-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Is yours (or was) male? They tend to wander more than ex-females. An ex-female. She has always been very territorial which is a bit unusual.

Glad you got your cat back and yes they are like losing a part of your family.:) Thanks Trev. Correction. SWMBO's cat. But I did miss her as well.:)

Our cat brings us presents of live rats and lets them go in the house, and the occasional dead one Your cat is very proud of what he can do and is bringing his catch in for you to see just how good he is, although I do think that the live rats needs to be discouraged. We had a cat that used to play with birds in the porch. We got up in the morning to find the porch covered in feathers and a dead bird on the door mat. "See how good and clever I am?"

Terry: Our cat had many roads to cross, one quite major and very busy, with another dozen or so not quite so busy. It's quite surprising that she crossed them safely.

pctek
07-08-2010, 05:01 PM
An ex-female. She has always been very territorial which is a bit unusual.

Our cat had many roads to cross, one quite major and very busy, with another dozen or so not quite so busy.

Lucky cat then. Down to 8 lives? 7?
Feed her something she finds delicious and tell her she'll have plenty of pats in the new house.

Mine never wandered but one disappeared for 2 weeks once. When she finally turned up she wasn't hungry so I think someone must have tried kidnapping her.

We had only had her a short time then - it was amazing how much we all missed her and her sister fretted and spent long hours staring into the street watching for her. It was unexpectedly horrible.

Greven
07-08-2010, 06:59 PM
My friend adopted a cat that we think didn't want to move house. It showed up at her brother's flat & refused to leave. Nobody responded to the flyers or radio announcement & the cat wasn't microchipped so my friend adopted it.

wmoore
07-08-2010, 09:57 PM
An animals homing instincts are remarkable. We had a cat that kept returning to our old house, a few miles away. It did it about 4 or 5 times before it disappeared altogether, probably run over.

Then another one we had when we lived in Dorset UK, was fond of sleeping in the car next door. We surmised it had a ride to Bournemouth on the coast about 25 miles away, when the car owner was visiting her daughter.

The cat turned up at our front door 2 weeks later exhausted and with sore raw feet, and slept for nearly a week, waking to eat and toilet :) It had had many main roads to cross.

How's this for incredible, Our neighbours used to sail from NZ to Fiji in their Yacht and would take with them their two Siamese cats.
One day they set sail to return to NZ thinking that both cats were on board. Arrived back to find one was missing..........About 3 weeks later they get a phone call from a couple to say that they had found a stowaway on their yacht when they had return from Fiji.

goodiesguy
07-08-2010, 10:11 PM
When we got a new dog earlier this year called ollie (we had a 11yr old "trixie" but was put down on 11or12/12/09 due to cancer and loss of muscles in her legs). our other dog Jess was fine with the new dog "ollie" so was our younger cat (who has many names such as juniper, tyrone, yoink) but our oldest cat "truffles" did not like ollie.

for weeks she would leave and not come back. we would have to bribe her with food to get her to come inside and many a time had to walk into other peoples propertys to get her. we had to keep the doors closed etc..

but one day, she decided that she would come. she comes home every day now ever since and gets along with ollie fine.

rebels181
08-08-2010, 01:14 PM
What we do when we move house is put butter on the paws of the cats, Keep them inside for 24 - 48 hours. This seems to work I don't know why.

pctek
08-08-2010, 01:33 PM
What we do when we move house is put butter on the paws of the cats, Keep them inside for 24 - 48 hours.

It's one of those myths.
They will be comfortable and stay or not, butter or not.

The idea is to make your cat feel settled. What other cats are around the neighbourhood too will matter - you may not know - but the cats will.

legod
12-08-2010, 12:46 AM
I hate cats - they are good for nothing mobile **** machines. :)

gary67
12-08-2010, 07:39 AM

X2

sarel
13-08-2010, 08:35 AM
x3

sarel

sarel
13-08-2010, 08:38 AM
When my little poodle doggie died a few years ago, SWMBO and meself could not believe the quietness in the house - no movement, nothing, with the doggie gone. Took SWMBO about a week to get a new Bichon Friesse, after initially saying "no more" quite firmly.

sarel

WalOne
13-08-2010, 09:09 AM

I used to think that until I found myself on more than one occasion looking after two whippets and the house cat for some friends.

The cat was a Maine Coon, bigger than the Whippets, and about a metre in length from nose to tip of tail with the rest of its body proportionately as big. Its personality was as big, too - a brilliant animal. Kept the Whippets in line nicely.

:D