PDA

View Full Version : Webpage gone!

notechyet
06-08-2010, 03:41 PM
Hi all
A friend of mine just rang and said that her B&B webpage has gone.
It used to be hosted with an outfit/organisation called Heartland. The site owners closed down and went on a an unknown holiday. No contact posibility.

I then offered to help as long as we could find a reasonably priced host with wordpress database. I'm not into webdesign at all though would be able to do that for her.
Would anyone of you be able to give me a hint or two regarding the hosting.
Her internet provider is Xnet and from a quick look they do not provide any hosting. I thought Xtra does provide some space for a home page but this may not come under that.
Any help would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance:)

stu161204
06-08-2010, 03:52 PM
Do you know what the B&B website address is / was??, as you might be able to recover some of the site from http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Do you know what the site was done it?, was it done in a CMS (content management system) or a wordpress blog site?

Do they have a domain name?

What sort of price do they want to pay for web hosting?

You might want to search PressF1 as their are lost of threads on web hosting, which you should be able to use to find a host.

If you want any help PM me & I will see if I can help :)

notechyet
06-08-2010, 04:04 PM
thanks Stu
see here (http://kowhai-cottage.co.nz).
No idea what he site was build with. The friend still has a printout of the text which she had kept,that's all.
Not sure about the domain name and I could not contact her right now as she is out.
Price for hosting as little as possible as it is a small b&b only.

notechyet
06-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Stu
a webpage designer she rang could recover the text and no images though I don't know where and how.
She just cant afford the costs they want for the webpage design(~ $700.-). And she has lost her printout she had done from her homepage.
Is there another way to find/recover some of her page?
The domain is registered with Register direct.

Driftwood
06-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Have you googled "Kowhai Cottage"
Seems to be heaps of info there, some of it must relate to the one you are after.

kahawai chaser
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
In Google search results you can click on the Cached results, which will produce text for viewing/printing. Also can view the source code in your browser as well, which may help.

stu161204
06-08-2010, 06:04 PM
notechyet, E-mail me (See the PM I sent you), and I will see if I can help :)

Snorkbox
06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
I can put a site together for free. However hosting and domain charges would remain the owners problem.

Personally I use Kiwi Web host as I find them reasonable, they have cPanel and I have no problems with their uptime.

notechyet
06-08-2010, 07:10 PM
Just on the way passing home-
thanks all!
I have also found the google cached files and the text of her home page.
I'll have to contact our friend tomorrow and go from there.

The Error Guy
06-08-2010, 09:44 PM
I don't know if this will be of any help but I have hosted several sites with 000webhost.com (www.000webhost.com) Their free service is great and supports PHP and MySQL especially in combination with a free domain from co.cc I have heard that their affiliate service is a scam as such becuase people have not received payments but I never have had a use for it. I have hosted 4 sites with them having no problems easy to set up sub domains and they have a site builder thats good for the non computer oriented people (even I liked it!!)

My Current Hosted site is www.longsword.co.cc if you want to look, I don't know what others veiws are but if you are looking for good cheap or free hosting then i'd hive 000webhost a 9-10/10

Good luck

Erayd
07-08-2010, 12:37 AM
My Current Hosted site is www.longsword.co.cc if you want to look...No it ain't, not unless you're hosting a page full of ads - see the attached screenshot.

pctek
07-08-2010, 09:32 AM
My Current Hosted site is www.longsword.co.cc

longsword.co.cc
longsword.co.cc has expired ( ~ 2010-08-06) Renew

The Error Guy
07-08-2010, 04:50 PM
Thats embarrassing, it expired just a few hours ago (grrr) sorry about that. btw, just renewed with co.cc I forgot about the domain expiring after a year. It may take a while to update but it should be online tomorrow