PDA

View Full Version : CD ME

04-09-2001, 01:21 PM
Win ME PIII 800 128RAM with CDROM and CDRW. When playing CD's the music is prone to small but frequent interuptions (no sound) from other PC activity (ie dialling up, saving files or prinitng etc..) Therefore listening pleasure is severely impacted! This happens worse on CDROM player than CDRW......

04-09-2001, 03:46 PM
Make sure DMA is enabled for your Hard drive, CD and CDRW (on the properties tab for the devices in control panel - system...)

If that doesn't help what software are you using? Try disabling 'Enable digital CD audio...' through your software or control panel.

04-09-2001, 08:10 PM
If you can turn off digital audio for the drive it will play independent of the computer, so it wont be affected by the rest of the system (although it depends on the cdplayer program you use).

You will need the analog out cable connected to your sound card to use it.

Digital audio extracts the audio thru the data cable. The problem with IDE drives it that only one device on the same channel can be used, so if your hdd or cdrw is on the same channel then the music will get interrupted every time they are used. My guess is the cd-rom is on the same channel as the HDD.

Digital audio also needs more control from the CPU, so will be affected by high processor useage.

For the connecting with the modem, its just a side effect of having a winmodem, it runs with realtime priority (highest) so out ranks eveything else, and when your connecting it needs alot of your processor.