PDA

View Full Version : security up my system

nerd
05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
i was bored and since the smartest people are up at this time of night, i have a win 7 home premium with avast installed, i have nothing else. recently i have started getting dcom exploit messages. googled it but there wasnt much on how to stop the messages coming up and so i put avast in gaming mode. now i feel i need to put some more security on it, since moving from xp i havent done anything much about the security. what should i get for firewall, spyware, AV and anything new i need (i havent been up to date with computers for a while now)

thanks

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2010, 12:11 AM
And whats telling you there's dcom exploit messages?? Avast?

nerd
05-08-2010, 12:13 AM
yea

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I wouldnt worry about it. And windows 7's firewall is both ways anyway. I wouldnt bother with another firewall

nerd
05-08-2010, 12:20 AM
do i need anyispyware or anything? those messages get really annoying.they come up like every 5 minutes at times. i did an avast full scan and some internet scan as well (think it was nod32) a while ago but that didnt stop it either

Speedy Gonzales
05-08-2010, 12:27 AM
Are you using v5 of Avast?

nerd
05-08-2010, 12:30 AM
program version is 5.0.something so i guess i am.

gary67
05-08-2010, 07:43 AM
Have a look at this site here (https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2) where you can test your security settings by clicking on the proceed button and following the instructions

pctek
05-08-2010, 08:46 AM
. what should i get for firewall, spyware, AV and anything new i need

Ditch Avast.
Get Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus (it's free)
For anti-spyware get Spybot and Malware Bytes. Update and scan with all at least once a week.

MSSE and Spybot can be scheduled to do this automatically.

nerd
08-08-2010, 10:02 PM
Ditch Avast.
Get Microsoft Security Essentials for antivirus (it's free)
For anti-spyware get Spybot and Malware Bytes. Update and scan with all at least once a week.

MSSE and Spybot can be scheduled to do this automatically.

i had that on my old laptop and xp desktop as well, dont think it ever wanted to update by itself though, like every few days it would tell me its out of date and id need to click the update button myself, avast never botheres me with that. other than that, i had no problems with it, might go back.

pctek
09-08-2010, 07:10 AM
You need to set it - MSSE - go into Settings.
Spybot - change to Advanced mode - go into Scheduler.