PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic DMR EH55 DVD Recorder problem

dolby digital
04-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Hi there,

This is a dvd recorder with a hard drive. I sometimes write to dvd but if you fill up the disk, it does not leave enough room to finalise the disk. Have I missed something. You would expect that the machine would stop and either finalise the disk itself or ask you to confirm finalisation of the dvd. But no it just keeps on going up it runs out of dvd to write to and then displays that the disk is possibly corrupt. It effectively corrupts the disk as its non readable. Is this crazy or what. Obviously Panadonic don't want to talk to you as they only seem to list authorised service centres on their website.

Paul.Cov
06-08-2010, 12:24 AM
I have a different model of Panasonic.

I suggest that whenever possible you record to HDD, and then transfer whatever is worth keeping to DVD.
When recording across to DVD, set the recording mode to FR (Flexible Recording) and it will automatically adjust the bitrate so that the disc is filled, but not overfilled.

Alternatively, maybe your blank DVD media is cruddy. I've found the Panasonic to be very finnicky about media, and recording standards / file formats.

Best media I've found have been the Taio Yuden (TY02 media code if memory serves) and a former favourite that hit some quality issues, the Ritek F01 (the Ritek G04 was best. It got replaced with the 'faster' G05, which was a disaster, quickly replaced with the F01).
www.picosys.co.nz for either type... when they have stocks.

If you're prepared to research the media issue sufficiently, you can check a database held at www.videohelp.com which will give an idea of the best media for your very model of DVR.
Here in NZ it seems most of the major retailers are pushing cheap and nasty media from manufacturers with a poor reputation. The outer label, eg Sony / Verbatim / Panasonic / Teac is virtually meaningless, coz it's all rebranded lower tier product from other manufacturers such as CMC Magnetics.

And it's really $*&#@ frustrating!

kenj
06-08-2010, 07:50 AM
Have to agree with Paul. The FR recording is excellent but can only be done in real time.

Verbatim are good, Taio Yuden good, but maybe Paul is right about rebranding, as I have had problems with Imation and sony discs.

Anothe place I sometimes buy from is BlankCD http://blankcd.co.nz/ A small freight charge but excellent service.

Ken

Trev
06-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Shouldn't till you before recording to DVD whether there is enough space or not. I'm pretty sure my Sony DVD/HD recorder dose.
:)

kenj
06-08-2010, 11:36 AM
With FR recording it either shrinks or expands the file size to fit the disk.

Must agree though Trev, my Sony says "Hey, wait up there. Not enough room" ...or something similar.

Ken

Paul.Cov
06-08-2010, 08:01 PM
I suspect the OP is simply recording live directly to DVD simply via the Record button, rather than getting the benefit of programming in a start and finish time, which would then trigger the insufficient space warnings.

Recording directly to the DVD without setting a duration, and neglecting to stop the process in time... the machine cannot read your mind. It needs some info from you, and then it will probably behave itself.